Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train Multiple Punches

Blog Entries

Train Multiple Punches

When you train your punch, you should always reserve 20% air in your lung (it can be 15% or 25%). You should never empty your lung during fighting.

If you throw

- 1 punch in your drill, you exhale 80% air out of your lung.
    - 2 punches in your drill, you exhale 40% air out of your lung for each punch.
    - 3 punches in your drill, you exhale 27% air out of your lung for each punch.
    - 4 punches in your drill, you exhale 20% air out of your lung for each punch.
    - 7 punches in your drill, you exhale 12% air out of your lung for each punches.

Just like pulling your machine gun trigger before you release it, you should not inhale in the middle of your multiple punches. The faster that you exhale in 1 breath out and before you inhale again, the faster that your punches will be delivered. This way you can control your punching speed by how fast that you exhale. I use 7 punches as the maximum punching combo just because 7 sounds like a good maximum number.

What's your opinion on this training method?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-26-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Use 4 punches to give your opponent bad luck and make him die.

John, an area where we have a big difference....
    We train moves, then combinations, then tack combinations together. A good Pak Mei fighter doesn't stop throwing sh1t until you fall or he does.
    Breathing, we don't link our breathing directly to the punches. You can punch faster than you can breathe. Long deep breaths held and squeezed out, hardening the body and free it to move at its own pace in attack. Learn to keep working the combinations on a quicker inhale and start again.
    ....more or less....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

N
    our key 'essential' combinations all have 4 moves. First 3 are generally enough, 4th is heavy.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

this is a great topic, 99.9 % of fighters dont use breathing correctly myself included. The most untrained thing a person does is proper breathe connection, Yoga is subperb for training for this, as well as qigong.

, I do forms and find myself occasionally holding my breath. LOL I think when we concentrate you tend to do this subconsciously

Now when fighting we always exert as much energy as we can, this includes forceful breathing, letting out aggression anger etc etc, it is hard and i mean very hard to withhold breath and allow reserve to have more when you desperlty need it
    , great topic YKW
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

just breath out wher you hit, breathing in i automatic and takes care of itself....its not that complicated a subject why try to make it so??

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    just breath out wher you hit, breathing in i automatic and takes care of itself....its not that complicated a subject why try to make it so??
    Indeed. Breathe out so it isn't forced out. Pretty simple.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Pretty much.
    That said, some systems to advocate specific patterns. While some advocate one exhale per strike other advocate on "long" exhale and striking as much as you can/want during that exhale.
    Truly it depends on whether your combinations are a "combo of strikes" or a "series of singles".
    You never have to worry about exhaling completely, the body just doesn't do that unless you willingly force out the last bit of air and even then, some remains.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

YKW is trying to trick us into overthinking.

Then, if he has to fight us, we will be too busy thinking about breathing to be able to move properly.

I can see dividing breath into tenths...

...but not 100ths. That's way too fine of a division. And this is from someone who has studied pranayama very well and practices qigong daily.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    - 3 punches in your drill, you exhale 27% air out of your lung for each punch.
    - 7 punches in your drill, you exhale 12% air out of your lung for each punches.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    I was taught "never holding breath". So how not to hold breath and still breath comfortable. There are not that many options here.

If you use jab, cross, hook, uppercut or jab, cross, hook, hook, uppercut combo. Both combo are either 4 punches or 5 punches. If you do intend to hit your opponent on each and every punch, and if your opponent is also moving around, you have to move with him to adjust the distance, To be able to breath comfortably at that moment is very important.

I don't like to train in slow speed. When I train in combat speed, the breathing remains a very important part of my concern. My definition of Qi is as simple as "Be able to breath normal when moving in combat speed." I like to stand infront of my heavy bag, punch as fast and as powerful as I can non-stop until I get exhausted (usually after 60 punches). If I can't take care my opponent in that 60 crazy punches, It will be time for me to put my tail between my legs and run like hell.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-27-2013 at 01:04 PM.

The form Gau Bo Twi can be done in 2 breaths, that's starting from a full breath to start, and finishing on an exhale, one per 'half'. Somewhere around 108 moves.
    if it seems odd, think of screaming at someone as you attack, the long exhale as you repeatedly strike, just a little more controlled - and you capture a strength bearing down with your abdomen. Not every breath is carried as long as others normally, that exercise is just a kind of 'test'.
    We train anaerobic as well, the result of our style of forms training. Perhaps our shoulders forward stance has something to do with it too. Just thinking.
    And it doesn't take any concentration at all, and comes naturally with a little training and mindfulness.

I am interested in all the other takes, for sure, but I can only talk about what I know.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Be quiet in your breathing too!

If you notice someone is mouth breathing and sucking air, wait til you hear him breathing out then *BAM* in the xiphoid process and down he goes. I can almost guarantee that, provided you don't punch like a mouse.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Be quiet in your breathing too!

If you notice someone is mouth breathing and sucking air, wait til you hear him breathing out then *BAM* in the xiphoid process and down he goes. I can almost guarantee that, provided you don't punch like a mouse.
    I think there's more to that as well, when you engage with people, you can hear their breathing rhythm, their patterns, its a subconscious thing for most people, and you can read it. Especially 'huffers and puffers' as they telegraph with their breath like some people do with their hands.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    wait til you hear him breathing out then *BAM*.
    I thought it's always better to hit someone when he breaths in. When he breaths out, his stomatch is tight.