Thread: Stance Training

Threaded View

Stance Training

I know many people who claim to be progressive are vehemently opposed to static stance training. There seems to be a consensus that it is a useless training method. I do have some questions and reservations, however.

Argument: Stance training does not build leg strength.

Question: When someone who has never done stance training attempts to hold a stance, they typically cannot do it for 30 seconds. After a while of training they can do it for 1 minute, then 2, then 5. How is this phenomenon possible if there wasn't some strengthening of certain muscles?

Argument: Stance training builds muscles, but only those necessary to hold that particular stance; in that specific shape. Stance training can only help you hold that particular stance longer, nothing more.

Question: I find it hard to believe that these muscles only serve one specific function, i.e. holding Ma Bu. They don't have any other uses? Whenever you do any kind of new exercise, you will have sore muscles you don't normally notice. If I run and lift weights and do aerobics everyday, then one day decide to swim 100 laps, I'm going to feel a whole new world of sore muscles. It seems to me strengthening these different groups must benefit your overall strength. Is this incorrect?

My other problem with the above argument is that it seems to make an assumption that you're only training one shape. For instance, you only train horse stance. If you train 10 different stances, your using all different muscles and angles. It seems to me that I would then be working a whole lot of different muscle groups and that should, in theory, be beneficial to my overall leg strength. Why would this not be the case?

Argument: After 2 minutes of holding a static stance there is no additional benefit.

Question: So is it beneficial to hold the stance for 2 minutes as opposed to 15?

Argument: Stance training has no direct benefit to a fighter.

Question: Putting aside mental toughness and rooting, some stances make for good stretches. Gung Bu and Pu Bu, for instance. These same stances are often trained as stretches outside the martial arts world. Some other stances are great for balance, I would consider the cat stance and the various versions of one footed stances to be helpful in maintaining balance and developing sensitivity in the ankle, to help regain compromised balance. I feel like this skill is very beneficial to a fighter. Is there no benefit to the stretching and balancing practice either?
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 02-27-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!