Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stance Training

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Wouldn't the same hold true then for high reps of weight lifting as well?

Well from my view, the reason is lost in modern times, the whole idea of staying in a stance a long time, is to be able to stay there efficiently, what that means if you stay long enough you will learn to hold yourself there with intention and your muscles will be relaxed. Something along that line, to long for muscles , find other stuff to hold you there.

Stance training serves a purpose.
    How you do it and why will define that purpose.
    I have limited time to train so I no longer bother with stance training ( in the hold the stance in a static way for a long period of time).
    There are better ways to develop endurance, flexibility and "rooting".
    That said, stance training does indeed help develop certain "intangibles" when you are starting off.
    It develops a great structural awareness of whatever stance you are holding.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Stance training is not only to build leg strength but also to develop certain "flexibility". If you can

- Have your left foot to point NW.
    - Have your right foot to point W.
    - Have you right foot toes point up.
    - Keep both legs bending.
    - Use your left hand to touch your right foot ankle.

You will have the flexibility to apply certain grappling technique. Since we don't born with this kind of flexibility, we have to develop it through stance training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-27-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

yes and high reps arent good for strength building either but for endurance

yes. in terms of weight training, 2-5 reps for strength / power, 6-8 reps for mass / strength and 12 reps and up for muscle endurance.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by 18elders View Post
    there is a science to it, do not just think of it as leg strengthening, you have to pay attention to your body alignment and structure. if the frame of a house is not strong it has poor structure.
    so a golfer never keeps practicing their swing? Pitchers stop pitching?
    Why would you stop your stance training?
    Basics, basics, basics.
    and yet without outside pressure and feedback all the above: alignment structure falls apart ...or put another way the hardest hitters around ( boxers and thai stylists) dont do static or moving stance work and their structure is fine without it............

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Well from my view, the reason is lost in modern times, the whole idea of staying in a stance a long time, is to be able to stay there efficiently, what that means if you stay long enough you will learn to hold yourself there with intention and your muscles will be relaxed. Something along that line, to long for muscles , find other stuff to hold you there.
    this is one of those tcma-isms...punch without using your muscles, hold yourself there with intention, etc. how can you be using your muscles without actually using them?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and yet without outside pressure and feedback all the above: alignment structure falls apart ...or put another way the hardest hitters around ( boxers and thai stylists) dont do static or moving stance work and their structure is fine without it............
    Well sure, it's not necessary to learn to fight, but I would suggest a speed bag isn't necessary, (or the best method) for developing timing and hand/eye coordination, but it is a staple training method in boxing and most boxers like to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Well sure, it's not necessary to learn to fight, but I would suggest a speed bag isn't necessary, (or the best method) for developing timing and hand/eye coordination, but it is a staple training method in boxing and most boxers like to use it.
    Never used a speed bag myself, unless I was told to.
    Even in sport combat systems many things are done for the sake of tradition.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Like flipping the tire? I think people like this one so much because it's cool.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    how can you be using your muscles without actually using them?
    People may say that we should use bone and tendon instead. Can we control our body in such a way that we can distinguish "tendon" from "muscle"? May be others can but I know that I can't.

From my Google about "What's the difference between tendon and muscle", I got the following:

Muscles work to move bones the way the brain tells them to. Tendons connect muscles to the bone to make this happen.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...e_and_a_tendon

Muscles contract to facilitate movement. Tendons attach muscles to bones. Ligaments attach bones to other bones.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...es_and_tendons
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here...
    I've encountered static stance drills in boxing, muay thai, and wrestling...
    -Ever done wall sits?
    I've encountered moving stance drills in muay thai, boxing, and wrestling...
    -Ever done bobbing & weaving under the rope in boxing? Is that not moving stance work?
    -How about wrestling shots (change level & step in with a deep lunge)?
    -In muay thai we often did stepping & hopping lunges as part of our warm up...

The difference I think is that boxing, wrestling, and muay thai use these as ancillary training drills and not the main training.

My personal opinion is that I think too much stance training can be bad for joints & explosiveness.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Never used a speed bag myself, unless I was told to.
    Even in sport combat systems many things are done for the sake of tradition.
    Recently I bought a Wrecking Ball/Body Snatcher for my gym. I used this quite a bit when training at another MMA gym and love the new addition. It is great for working hooks, uppercuts, pretty much any angle punch. It is also good for working crescents and roundhouse kicks.

A short clip of me working the wrecking ball a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4f-hcSJmOM

Sorry to get off topic, but to get back on I have never found much use in speed bags, although many others I have trained with do. Not every training method is for every person.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

the speed bag is to teach you to keep your hands up and how to hit a moving target. no it isn't a necessity, and not all boxers use out. why? it doesn't transfer to ring skill, as you don't hit the speed bag the same way that you punch. a much better tool is t he double end bag.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Recently I bought a Wrecking Ball/Body Snatcher for my gym. I used this quite a bit when training at another MMA gym and love the new addition. It is great for working hooks, uppercuts, pretty much any angle punch. It is also good for working crescents and roundhouse kicks.
    I got one of them where I train as well. Like you say, not only good for hooks and uppercuts, but great for crescent kicks. Get yourself a heavy bag, thai bag and one of them babies and you got the hook up for working almost any strike!