I have went into weight training to fulfill requirements for college. I discovered that I really loved it, and took classes designed around a physical fitness curriculum before deciding later to persue the social sciences.

After following the time tested patterns of strength training (not bodybuilding) for power and speed during my (then) Karate classes. Later when I moved to another city and began my Kung Fu training, I found that all the strength training I had done in the past years was for naught, as the simple exercises my sifu had the class do whipped me before I was halfway across the gym.

My arms tho able to press a modest amount in comparison to my bodyweight, were so drained and tired I could not pick up my daughter when I got home without shaking (my daughter is 26lbs)

I realized endurance was needed as well as strength and so I formulated this weight training and have found a lot of success thus far. However I have hit a plateau, and am in the process of reworking the idea. Let me know what you think:

Day 1. Overhead press 40lbs to goal=50 reps
tricep press (skullcrusher) 20lbs to
goal of 50 reps
Shoulder shrug 40lbs to goal=50 reps
Bent over rows 40lbsto goal=50 reps
wrist curls(each wrist) 20lbs to goal
=50 reps
Fly 40lbs to goal=50 reps
Bench press 70lbs to gaol=50 reps
curl(each side) 20lb to gaol=50 reps
Shoulder raise(each side) 20lb to
goal=50 reps

I simply work each exercise to muscle exhaustion, then I push for another 3-5 reps the next time, the goal being 50 reps with each exercise, at which point I will add more weight and start over. I will need to incorporate some more exercises to work past the plateau, dips, inclines etc.

Also I perform each exercise like a technique when applicable, for example a bench press is like punching from the shoulder. I go for the explosivwe power by executing the upward push as quickly as I can without injuring myself, then on the way down, I put up as much resistance as I can stand as if I was pushing an attack away.

So far I have been able to determine where my weak spots are (shoulders, biceps) and I do similar routines for the lower body and my abdominals are a totally different program.

I am not as fatigued in class [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Any thoughts?

Namaste.