Thread: Blauer, Combat Krav, Crazy Monkey, Keysi and all the rest

Blauer, Combat Krav, Crazy Monkey, Keysi and all the rest

What is about these systems that make them popular? Are there takeaways that we should incorporate into traditional martial arts training that they are doing?

If so, what?

They are well marketed for one thing.
    They have something different.
    What they have that is different seems to be obvious that it can work.
    I would add the DBMA to that list too by the way.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Some are better than others. I particulrly like Mick Coups C2 Core Combatives approach. Very godd indeed. Also like Blauer spear system. Others aren't concept or principle based and are just a string of techniques put together for diffeent scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    What is about these systems that make them popular? Are there takeaways that we should incorporate into traditional martial arts training that they are doing?

If so, what?
    People have different attributes (providing they see value in a combative system-main criteria) and they gravitate to that art because it 'fits" with their main delivery system of executing their goal(s).. Why incorporate something when it is useless to your raison d'etre? I personally found Keysi Method valuable because it fit into a PSD/corporate EP scenario and it is functional.

I met some of the Keysi preacitioners at a workshop some years ago. Some of the fellows were part of Executive Protection Institute (EPI) Protective Response Tactics (PRT) course!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

If so, what?
    This may sound harsh but as a LEO I have been exposed to many of these systems over the years and I think what makes them popular is that they offer a shortcut to self defense and people like a shortcut. The problem is there are no short cuts and they are all built around some trick that can in some limited situations work but that trick is marketed as all encompassing.