Thread: Could a WCner do any better?

Hybrid View

Could a WCner do any better?

Only if he understood grappling and ground fighting and had actually trained for years full force against someone of Royce's ability.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Only if he understood grappling and ground fighting and had actually trained for years full force against someone of Royce's ability.
    So would have have to train a different style? Or just stick with WC, but practice on the ground?

Question I get asked alot...

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    So would have have to train a different style? Or just stick with WC, but practice on the ground?

Yes, he'd have to do significant practice on the ground. Without doing that, he'd be quadruple amputee swimming in a pool with a shark.

As far as practicing a different style, I suppose, eventually he'd figure out what to do on the ground, but it sure wouldn't look much like wing chun. It would be a whole lot more efficient simple to learn a style that specializes in ground fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Yes, he'd have to do significant practice on the ground. Without doing that, he'd be quadruple amputee swimming in a pool with a shark.

As far as practicing a different style, I suppose, eventually he'd figure out what to do on the ground, but it sure wouldn't look much like wing chun. It would be a whole lot more efficient simple to learn a style that specializes in ground fighting.
    But this is just a fight, the kung fu guy wasn't able to stop guy going to the ground...

But this is just a fight, the kung fu guy wasn't able to stop guy going to the ground...
    He could have trained wrestling, which would have given him a better chance of not being taken down.

Needs

to

cross

train

If you do not train to fight against something then you will NOT have any experience on how to deal with it.
    Now, if the skill level difference is VERY high, that may not matter BUT if there is any decent amount of skill on the part of the opponent and he brings something to the "table" that you don't have any experience with, the advantage is, typically, His.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you do not train to fight against something then you will NOT have any experience on how to deal with it.
    Now, if the skill level difference is VERY high, that may not matter BUT if there is any decent amount of skill on the part of the opponent and he brings something to the "table" that you don't have any experience with, the advantage is, typically, His.
    Are we talking in a competition environment here?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I didn't see a competition in the Gracie clip, just a fight. I guess you could argue a fight on the street has concrete, etc, however it could also happen on grass

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Well, if it doesn't work under the controlled conditions of competition, that chances if it working in the Uncontrolled conditions are, logically, less.
    Competition make sit a level playing field for BOTH parties and in "the street" BOTH are free to do whatever they want.

IN short:
    If you can't beat someone when THEY are limited by the rules and environment, what makes you think you can beat them when they are NOT limited by them?

IN short:
    If you can't beat someone when THEY are limited by the rules and environment, what makes you think you can beat them when they are NOT limited by them?
    Which will bring me straight back to my opinion that until you face them how will you know?

The best you can do is improve your chances through training but that shouldn't mean that you have to study every combat system to ensure your victory.

Totally agree!