Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Obasi with three other WC Sifu

Shawn Obasi with three other WC Sifu

I stole these clips from a guy's post on another forum. I hadn't seen them before and got a kick out of them. Check 'em out.

Shawn Obasi Rolling with Randy Williams, Sam Kwok and Emin Boztepe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvuZOlm_aI - Obasi & Sifu Kwok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYHOA_8aXA - Obasi & Sifu Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fElkCj0qk - Obasi & Sifu Boztepe
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Interesting.

I have to say that Emin looked pretty slick, and I'm not just referring to the ponytail
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    I stole these clips from a guy's post on another forum. I hadn't seen them before and got a kick out of them. Check 'em out.

Shawn Obasi Rolling with Randy Williams, Sam Kwok and Emin Boztepe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvuZOlm_aI - Obasi & Sifu Kwok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYHOA_8aXA - Obasi & Sifu Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fElkCj0qk - Obasi & Sifu Boztepe

The last one was basically Obasi being Boztepe's compliant training dummy.

Not that doing chi sao has anything to do with fighting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    The last one was basically Obasi being Boztepe's compliant training dummy.
    I've been there with Emin (a very long time ago) and I understand why Obasi was compliant. Emin will hurt you if you are not. Of course he's older now and a lot mellower. Still... At least in the context of the chi-sau game, Obasi clearly knew who was boss. Same for an all out fight. In the ring? Well who knows?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

In the Randy W and Sam K videos...Obassi was using his size to out muscle them ...Emin is a physically more intimidating specimen than both of the other guys, and Shawns demeanor seemed to reflect this. I agree with La Roux ...he was far more compliant and seemed less like he was trying to prove something in the Emin video.

S. Kwok doing chi sao with Obasi while blindfolded was cool!
    Behold. Mighty Ross. His coming was foretold in the Book of BaWang. He will come with a Vengeance on David, Son of Jamie. The Warring Trolls will unite across the Forums of Ching. And the Virgin Warrior, Pure-Hearted Lucas shall be offered up in Sacrifice to appease His Wrath. His Truth will ring in the hearts of the Kickboxers, and They shall be Glorified forevermore. Peace be upon you, Internet Traveler.

There is a good article somewhere on Hawkins Cheungs Website where he talks about Ip Man and how he was gentle with he's students but still dominated them, and for that reason they respected him and his skill. Plus they still learned and got something useful out of the chi Sao training. Cause in my opinion being scared of your sifu and freezing up and becoming compliant is not useful for any thing other than making your Sifu and his demo look good. In real life that may get you killed.

Just edit the whole post gone since opinions aren't welcome unless there filtered through you mr mod. Might as well erase it All
    Last edited by Jake104; 03-01-2013 at 03:21 AM.

It's not really about being scared, but about knowing that you will get hit. As a result, you come in when you really can - when you're position is good, 'the way is free', etc.

If you play Chi Sao in a very light way, you will always be more willing to come in on a 'bad risk', because there is no consequence other than a light touch. I think this develops bad habits and is, itself, backward logic.

Of course, Chi Sao isn't a fight, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give a little juice to your strikes.

But I am from the Leung Ting system, so what I see in this clip of Emin I like - certainly I like it much more than the clip with Sam Kwok or the one with Randy Williams.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 03-01-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    It's not really about being scared, but about knowing that you will get hit. As a result, you come in when you really can - when you're position is good, 'the way is free', etc.

If you play Chi Sao in a very light way, you will always be more willing to come in on a 'bad risk', because there is no consequence other than a light touch. I think this develops bad habits and is, itself, backward logic.

Of course, Chi Sao isn't a fight, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give a little juice to your strikes.

But I am from the Leung Ting system, so what I see in this clip of Emin I like - certainly I like it much more than the clip with Sam Kwok or the one with Randy Williams.
    First off i didn't say anything about doing chi Sao light and coming in with techniques to try and tag each other like aome kind of game. I know there are different strokes for different fokes and some like that sort of thing. Second i never said chi sao is a fight most who are good at that sort of chi sao cant fight there way out of a wet paper bag.

The chi Sao between Shawn and Emin lacked forward intent/ pressure/ structure. I'm only going off what I see in the video and that's rolling soft without whole body forward pressure. What I see is limp sticky arm rolling.. And Gumblegeezer said that you don't dare go hard cause Emin will hurt you.

Oh and by the way you will get hit in a real fight . If you are scared to get hit don't fight. Either continue the KF fantasy or take up tennis or golf.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 03-01-2013 at 04:07 AM.

@Jake104

Okay, whatever. I guess we see different things in this video. I don't know where you train or how you train - good luck with whatever method you use - so I can't judge, I guess.

But there is no KF fantasy land where I am training - no one is scared to get hit, we do get hit (in Chi Sao and Lat Sao, etc), we just try to learn not to walk into hits via bad positioning (and no, I am not saying that is how you train... I am simply stating that is not how we train).

But as ever, if you feel that here Emin demonstrates no forward pressure, etc, then you are entitled to your opinion. You can always go roll with him to see for yourself.

Oh and by the way you will get hit in a real fight
    Oh really? No one on this forum's ever said that before. You must be really good at Wing Chun and have extraordinary insight.

None of these are fights. Can't you "extra hardcore" people see ANYTHING decent in thiese clips? How would YOU fare if it were you instead of Sean?
    Last edited by anerlich; 03-01-2013 at 04:58 AM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake104 View Post
    There is a good article somewhere on Hawkins Cheungs Website where he talks about Ip Man and how he was gentle with he's students but still dominated them, and for that reason they respected him and his skill. Plus they still learned and got something useful out of the chi Sao training. Cause in my opinion being scared of your sifu and freezing up and becoming compliant is not useful for any thing other than making your Sifu and his demo look good. In real life that may get you killed.

Just edit the whole post gone since opinions aren't welcome unless there filtered through you mr mod. Might as well erase it All
    Excellent point, real skill can be demonstrated without the need to strike your student hard. I would say it takes more skill to chi-sau hard and then stop at the point of impact. Emin tends to just bash his students when in chi-sau, just brute force.

If you look at this clip on part 3.26, you will see chi sau done hard, but with no strikes to the students. From Leo Au Yeung, a clear demonstration of skill and technique without the need to hurt the student.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGuaTk4B38

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    If you look at this clip on part 3.26, you will see chi sau done hard, but with no strikes to the students. From Leo Au Yeung, a clear demonstration of skill and technique without the need to hurt the student.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGuaTk4B38
    Well, I'd agree that he's not hurting the student. But I'm not too keen on this type of Chi Sao, to be honest - he might go in hard (well, hard'ish) but for me the control of range is not too good.

But hey, we all train Chi Sao for different reasons and in different ways.
    Last edited by BPWT; 03-01-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: clarity + diplomacy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Well, I'd agree that he's not hurting the student. But I'm not too keen on this type of Chi Sao, to be honest - he might go in hard (well, hard'ish) but for me the control of range is not too good.

But hey, we all train Chi Sao for different reasons and in different ways.
    Well I think range, etc is dictated by your opponent. The key here is to show how to chi sau hard and demonstrate superior skill and technique without bashing your opponent. We have sparing for that

So a guy with a few MMA fights is doing chi sau with famous teachers. I guess I'm supposed to be impressed by the blindfolds, the "softness", and how Emin would "really hurt him". I guess I'm just not impressed by those things.

In all honesty, it just looks like people doing chi sau. Nothing special.