Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Obasi with three other WC Sifu

Yeah, he was pretty rough back then, I’d remember going to a seminar with my student ‘Eric Eebersloe’, with the guy that’s sitting next to me (a student for 20 years). And Emin was teaching grappling defense, and had my student come out on the floor with him to roll around.

And my student choked him out with a rear neck choke really fast (less than 20 sec); in front of everyone (he’s a black belt in Judo) and Emin did tapped out. Later that afternoon Emin said; “that Eric was the toughest man at the table” when we all went out to eat. He was real nice to my student and I for that whole weekend.

I’ve always thought he (Emin) was a good person with a big heart, and he went up a few marks with me by making that comment about my student.

My instructors of the Detroit branch:

Good article ! Training to beat the rules , great line.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    Just read the article from John Blumming, thanks its interesting...
    http://www.realfighting.com/content.php?id=93
    From the Bluming article:

"And you know, it’s very funny, the Chinese Boxing Federation, the Wing Chun, they are very very selfish and dedicated to their own style. My boys went over there (to Emin Boztepe’s) Dolman and Vrij and a few other guys, because he claimed no one can beat him, you know, he was on his knees crying, and I’m not kidding you. He’s an *******. He said, please guys this is only for advertising, come on, I just want to make a dollar, that’s all, so they just spit on him and they left. No, he’s an *******. I personally don’t know him."

Interesting and not in the least surprising.

Ah, memories.

The dutch are one tough bunch of mofos ... I don't understand why they aren't ruling the world (although they more or less did a few centuries ago).

RIP Ramon Dekkers.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    ...He said, please guys this is only for advertising, come on, I just want to make a dollar, that’s all, so they just spit on him and they left. No, he’s an *******. I personally don’t know him."

The part about "trying to make a buck rings true". Also trying to avoid a brawl if the odds are against you. People who are street-wise tend to be smart that way. But this is all a bunch of old hearsay crap and old war stories.

People say, "how do you know so and so is tough if they don't have a fight record?" Over the years I've met quite a few like that. Some were in gangs, or were LEO's, bouncers, marines. Some have been through stuff that makes MMA seem like kindergarten. You can sense when they are for real. I'm surprised some people don't seem to get that. Especially on a martial arts forum.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    People say, "how do you know so and so is tough if they don't have a fight record?" Over the years I've met quite a few like that. Some were in gangs, or were LEO's, bouncers, marines. Some have been through stuff that makes MMA seem like kindergarten. You can sense when they are for real. I'm surprised some people don't seem to get that. Especially on a martial arts forum.
    History is filled with "tough guys" that everyone "knew" were tough because they acted that way and were intimidating to people they knew they could intimidate, but weren't really so tough when it was finally time for the rubber to hit the road.

Putting out a "tough" vibe doesn't make someone tough. I'm surprised people don't get that. Especially on a martial arts forum.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 03-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.

What you said is true. I was in a famous Detroit/World Renowned Gang called The Y.B.I. One of the first and original captains/soldier joined in 1979, 5 years later became a captain; weekly income over 8 thousand a week. Leader: Butch Jones, affiliated with Frank Lucas.

We had a certain mentality when dealing with a code, I’ve seen guys handcuffed to a basement pole and beat half to death with bats and was later never troubled or fazed by it, and that could have easily been me. After seeing things like that for many years, I’d became numb to empathy and very cold. But my life was changed through Islam.

We had a lot of concert brawls (Rick James, Prince, and Parliament), hell, we owned the production company that brought them to Detroit (Tarsus Production); we fought a lot with the fist but mostly with guns. But we did a lot of medieval sh!t to keep the noise down too, and always made a serious statement.

The guys I grew up with are some of the most deadly/dangerous people you ever want to know, a bunch of real killers even at the age of 60, they will kill you without even thinking about it. As I grew older; that’s a part of my life that I’m not so proud of now.

Agreed. However when you make open challenges, claim your invincible, you open yourself to challenges and ridicule if you don't carry through. This fake tough image which is not backed is really just about cheating students into joining a school wrongfully.

Agreed. However when you make open challenges, claim your invincible, you open yourself to challenges and ridicule if you don't carry through. This fake tough image which is not backed is really just about cheating students into joining a school wrongfully.
    You're right. And I think that's what eating at LaRoux too. So many guys out there are basically marketing fantasies.

As for myself, I'm not a tough guy at all. Just a guy who loves TCMA. My basic strategy for self defense is avoidance. And stuff I've learned from some people who have had to deal with the nastier side of life. But out here even solid hand to hand skills could be viewed as "Larping" by some, since so many people carry guns. Where I live anybody without a record can legally carry openly or concealed without a permit. So it pays to be polite.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

The part about "trying to make a buck rings true". Also trying to avoid a brawl if the odds are against you. People who are street-wise tend to be smart that way. But this is all a bunch of old hearsay crap and old war stories.

The problem is the only people who say Emin is really hard and bad are
    a)students of his or
    b) people who themselves haven't got a fight record
    As for it making MMA seem like kindergardgen well bluming has killed people both in the street (he gives a nice reason as to who he uses open hand strikes as opposed to punches because a guy he punched in self defense took 24 hours to die) and in military hand to hand combat in korea
    The difference is his hard man stuff, especially the Korea fighting can be varified by historical records and we can see how tough he and his training is bu the students he has produced (they have fought and won in MMA, Thai and K1 right up to world title level)
    Emin has no record either military, criminal or cage wise and no students that im aware of who have done anything of note.....

Oh and he wasn’t trying to avoid a fight when the odds were against him, Doleman was there to fight him one on one the rest to ensure his students stayed out of it, both bluming and doleman have written about the incident, and bluming also talked about in an documentary here in the UK about martial arts and since doleman was well known in japan for fighting challenges and blumming for having his guys fight anyone interested id say it’s a little bit more than hearsay from their side and it fits perfectly with Emins culture of backing out of fights as soon as they are accepted…see his running battle of words with the gracies lol
    Last edited by Frost; 03-04-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post

"And you know, it’s very funny, the Chinese Boxing Federation, the Wing Chun, they are very very selfish and dedicated to their own style. My boys went over there (to Emin Boztepe’s) Dolman and Vrij and a few other guys, because he claimed no one can beat him, you know, he was on his knees crying, and I’m not kidding you. He’s an *******. He said, please guys this is only for advertising, come on, I just want to make a dollar, that’s all, so they just spit on him and they left. No, he’s an *******. I personally don’t know him."

Having had the privilege being beat up by some of His (Blumming's) guys and attended a seminar of his where he beat me up to, I can say that the Dutch judo-kyokushin-MT guys all pout their money where their mouth is.
    ALL will fight you on a drop of a dime IF you are willing to.
    Blumming does tend to be "colouful" in his choice of words BUT he also tends to be truthful ( at least in regards to how he remembers things).

I have no doubts that the Ruas and Rutten things are true and, if I recall correctly, He and his people were invited by the Gracies too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

So, what happened to the thread I made linking to this video and related to the topics of this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1OWyTO2gys

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    So, what happened to the thread I made linking to this video and related to the topics of this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1OWyTO2gys
    Wrestling with headbutts?

What do you mean by this? Are you asking me why I think the link I cite, is relevant to this thread?

Why was the head butting guy so grumpy ?, what was the other guy doing that he didn't like ?

I don't know how effective most of the head butts would be anyway, not close enough and target not lined up most of the time.