Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Obasi with three other WC Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Why was the head butting guy so grumpy ?, what was the other guy doing that he didn't like ?

I don't know how effective most of the head butts would be anyway, not close enough and target not lined up most of the time.
    Randy was p!$$ed about being touched in the face He had a photo shoot that day God damit

The headbutt thing He claims its. within his Biu Ji Amazing
    Last edited by Jansingsang; 03-07-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    The headbutt thing He claims its. within his Biu Ji Amazing
    Maybe he has a nervous tick

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Not being funny as Ironic as it sounds if that's the case with Biu Ji. Why do a emergency technique within Chi sau ?

Must be messing his pants every time he gets down funny fella

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I used to have one of those as a child! They are a bugger to control and one day I knocked myself out due to it!

On topic and with regards to the youtube clip I posted, it is my understanding that the guy in yellow is Sifu Joeseph Ng. I have actually enjoyed watching clips of him chi sauing over the years. He jokes around a lot, has fun and plays rather than 'fights'.

I've also seen Sifu Ng put himself in dangerous positions and be hit and often I have seen him do this on purpose, to train what I view as techniques from biu gee. I have also seen Sifu Ng unload on someone and, yeah, I think if he exploded on Randy like I know he is capable of, a minor head twitch would be the least of Randy's medical problems.

In all honesty, I think Randy took exception to Sifu Ng's idiosyncratic style and those little inside side palms that Sifu Ng continually placed on Randy's jaw line. Rather than follow up with other attacks, I think Ng thought it enough to just hold the shape there. Randy on the other hand does not acknowledge the palm at several points and just continues punching above, below and to the side of of Ng's position.

Hopefully we all are aware that if Sifu Ng did that side palm with intent, it would disconnect Randy's structure and forward momentum and would deny him the ability to do those little punches above, bellow and around Sifu Ng's positions.

Did Sifu Ng get it all his way? Nah. Is Sifu Ng perfect? Nah. Did Ng's chi sau session with Randy happen before the Obasi one? Apparently so. To my mind I view what Obasi did as a response to Randy's behavior with Ng and I am glad he did it and the manner in which he did it; controlled and with out causing injury.

Obasi should have said to Randy just after bear hugging Randy's head, "well Randy, that is what we call close ranged combat".
    Last edited by Paddington; 03-07-2013 at 05:34 AM.

A headbutt is an effective weapon, proven fact.

Also why do you show Sifu Ng the respect of including a title but not Sifu Williams? Are you that familiar with him?

I seriously don't get the total lack of respect for people who created the path for us to follow regardless of who your instructor is or what style you choose to practice.

Don't judge a practitioner until you personally get some hands on with them.

Take a closer look at Shawn's wrap and you may notice a right thumb in his left eye.

/smh
    練功夫的如牛毛
    有功夫的如牛角

“Those who practice gung fu are as numerous as the hairs on a bull’s body, those who actually have gung fu are as few as the horns.”

Trying to be a horn...

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunNovice View Post
    /smh
    only in certain circumstances, none of which applied in this chi sao clip.

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    only in certain circumstances, none of which applied in this chi sao clip.
    Agreed, I have never seen it in Chi Sau before. Doesn't belong there...

Sure, but while i dont really care about ego driven chi-sao death matches as seen in the video, those little cheeky headbutts are a cheap shot and appear to be his only answer on more than one occasion

Why is a headbutt a cheap shot? They're easy to block and we learn in CRCA that they might come so there are 6 ways to stop them that we do all the time as part of regular Chee Sau.

Nothing wrong with outside the box thinking or new application and training models. I seriously don't get all the hate.
    練功夫的如牛毛
    有功夫的如牛角

“Those who practice gung fu are as numerous as the hairs on a bull’s body, those who actually have gung fu are as few as the horns.”

Trying to be a horn...

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunNovice View Post
    Why is a headbutt a cheap shot? They're easy to block and we learn in CRCA that they might come so there are 6 ways to stop them that we do all the time as part of regular Chee Sau.

Nothing wrong with outside the box thinking or new application and training models. I seriously don't get all the hate.
    And i seriously dont get why you think its "hate", its a comment.... i dont really care if you get emotionally involved in this, thats your choice

Mate, in any chisao exchange theres a headbutt opportunity most of the time.... but thats not the point of the exercise.

Sorry, but if Williams has to resort to head butts during the exchange, then in my book its because he cant control and/or strike the other guy....

Smile

If other WC schools don't have a headbutt that's fine with me. Maybe we are more concept based than others and that is ok also. We can incorporate most anything in our CS as long it is WC based which includes kicks, sweeps, etc. This not only allows us a large variety in our attacks but also allows much needed practice with the appropriate defenses. Even our junior students if asked not to hit his partner in the face or head can manage to comply. If the student lacks the courtesy or etiquette to comply with the request and continues with intentional contact on a regular basis then we figure he should be able to take what he dishes out and we have no problem giving it back.

Quote Originally Posted by CRCAUSA View Post
    If other WC schools don't have a headbutt that's fine with me. Maybe we are more concept based than others and that is ok also. We can incorporate most anything in our CS as long it is WC based which includes kicks, sweeps, etc. This not only allows us a large variety in our attacks but also allows much needed practice with the appropriate defenses. Even our junior students if asked not to hit his partner in the face or head can manage to comply. If the student lacks the courtesy or etiquette to comply with the request and continues with intentional contact on a regular basis then we figure he should be able to take what he dishes out and we have no problem giving it back.
    You know, i just watched that clip again and, if the exchange had just started, Williams was throwing headbutts from the start.

If thats the case, then i think youll find common etiquette in most WC schools would be not to throw headbutts.

Quote Originally Posted by CRCAUSA View Post
    Chi-sau is meant to be a sensitivity exercise. Adding a head butt is dangerous and I am not sure how you could sense it

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I used to have one of those as a child! They are a bugger to control and one day I knocked myself out due to it!

On topic and with regards to the youtube clip I posted, it is my understanding that the guy in yellow is Sifu Joeseph Ng. I have actually enjoyed watching clips of him chi sauing over the years. He jokes around a lot, has fun and plays rather than 'fights'.

I've also seen Sifu Ng put himself in dangerous positions and be hit and often I have seen him do this on purpose, to train what I view as techniques from biu gee. I have also seen Sifu Ng unload on someone and, yeah, I think if he exploded on Randy like I know he is capable of, a minor head twitch would be the least of Randy's medical problems.

In all honesty, I think Randy took exception to Sifu Ng's idiosyncratic style and those little inside side palms that Sifu Ng continually placed on Randy's jaw line. Rather than follow up with other attacks, I think Ng thought it enough to just hold the shape there. Randy on the other hand does not acknowledge the palm at several points and just continues punching above, below and to the side of of Ng's position.

Hopefully we all are aware that if Sifu Ng did that side palm with intent, it would disconnect Randy's structure and forward momentum and would deny him the ability to do those little punches above, bellow and around Sifu Ng's positions.

Did Sifu Ng get it all his way? Nah. Is Sifu Ng perfect? Nah. Did Ng's chi sau session with Randy happen before the Obasi one? Apparently so. To my mind I view what Obasi did as a response to Randy's behavior with Ng and I am glad he did it and the manner in which he did it; controlled and with out causing injury.

Obasi should have said to Randy just after bear hugging Randy's head, "well Randy, that is what we call close ranged combat".

I thought it might be something like that, when someone ignores they are open or hit and tries to come back with cheap shots is pretty lamb and not proper practice or anyway to act, he should acknowledge the palm strike , and taken care of that hand before continuing on, not by trying to speed up and act like it never happened by throwing a bunch of lamb strikes after the point has been made.

I think the older guy was being nice to him showing how open he was for the palm strike , but he got mad instead of being grateful, it makes more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    Chi-sau is meant to be a sensitivity exercise. Adding a head butt is dangerous and I am not sure how you could sense it
    It is dangerous but by adding it to CS we can learn how to avoid it.

The context of the video was "no rules" CS and Sifu Williams was put in an awkward situation by Sifu Ng's people, he did what he does. Nothing wrong with it IMO.
    練功夫的如牛毛
    有功夫的如牛角

Trying to be a horn...