Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Obasi with three other WC Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    Chi-sau is meant to be a sensitivity exercise. Adding a head butt is dangerous and I am not sure how you could sense it
    Its easy to sense, if as in the clip you have contact with the arms but more importantly the head butt can only work if the centre is open. If you occupy the centre then it is like the Blackadder clip where he cant be bothered to punch baldrick and gets baldrick to run onto his fist instead.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    ..I think the older guy was being nice to him...
    Sifu Williams is older actually. Clean leaving does you good. :P
    練功夫的如牛毛
    有功夫的如牛角

“Those who practice gung fu are as numerous as the hairs on a bull’s body, those who actually have gung fu are as few as the horns.”

Trying to be a horn...

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunNovice View Post
    It is dangerous but by adding it to CS we can learn how to avoid it.

The context of the video was "no rules" CS and Sifu Williams was put in an awkward situation by Sifu Ng's people, he did what he does. Nothing wrong with it IMO.
    Apart from the fact that on most occasions he was so far out of range for the headbutt to be effective that it was comical
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Sifu Williams is older actually. Clean leaving does you good. :P
    Or brill cream, gets the gray out.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Its easy to sense, if as in the clip you have contact with the arms but more importantly the head butt can only work if the centre is open. If you occupy the centre then it is like the Blackadder clip where he cant be bothered to punch baldrick and gets baldrick to run onto his fist instead.
    The head butts better if the other guy is coming in not hanging back with his head turned , and the nose would be the target , not the chest .

Apart from the fact that on most occasions he was so far out of range for the headbutt to be effective that it was comical
    The video looks to me like he had him by the back of the neck on the headbutts and was clearly controlling it. It would get kind of messy on the 1st one making contact if he didn't.
    練功夫的如牛毛
    有功夫的如牛角

“Those who practice gung fu are as numerous as the hairs on a bull’s body, those who actually have gung fu are as few as the horns.”

Trying to be a horn...

It is dangerous but by adding it to CS we can learn how to avoid it.

The context of the video was "no rules" CS and Sifu Williams was put in an awkward situation by Sifu Ng's people, he did what he does. Nothing wrong with it IMO.
    Well if it was no rules why so angry about face shots then?

Or brill cream, gets the gray out.
    I could use some of that!
    練功夫的如牛毛
    有功夫的如牛角

Trying to be a horn...

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Well if it was no rules why so angry about face shots then?
    I don't think anyone likes getting their face touched.

Well maybe some people do but they pay extra for that.
    練功夫的如牛毛
    有功夫的如牛角

Trying to be a horn...

Smile

When your partner requests no contact to the face it would be just good manners to comply, why wouldn't you. If the contact is there on a regular basis either your partner doesn't have sufficient control of his hands to comply or he does and he simply doesn't want to comply. At that point your choice is to become a punching bag or hit him back. I don't see a problem here.

The head butts better if the other guy is coming in not hanging back with his head turned , and the nose would be the target , not the chest .
    Who mentioned the chest??? And actually from a fighting perspective ( not chi sao) head butts to the temple and the side of the jaw are just as if not more effective than those targetting the nose. The fact is though if the other person has their hands up and on the centre attempting to headbutt just gets you a face full of hand.

The video looks to me like he had him by the back of the neck on the headbutts and was clearly controlling it. It would get kind of messy on the 1st one making contact if he didn't.
    It doesn't matter if there is a neck grab or not if the intended recipient has their hands up and on the centre the headbutt simply powers the deliverers face into a hand coming in the other direction. Headbutts are only effective from very close range when the target's hands are down or otherwise immobilised / out of the way.

Who mentioned the chest??? And actually from a fighting perspective ( not chi sao) head butts to the temple and the side of the jaw are just as if not more effective than those targetting the nose. The fact is though if the other person has their hands up and on the centre attempting to headbutt just gets you a face full of hand.

Yes those would be effective if hit right, I was address more of a position that was not easy to move or retreat from, the side hit leaves more room for escape by simply dropping the head, like he seemed to be doing.

Anybody have the audio of this ?, that might shed more light on the problem .

Smile

I just took another close look at the video as everyone seems to be focusing on the headbutt. On most of them RW is either controlling the centerline, it is open or his partners hands are low. Either way it is a useful tool to use in CS and CRCA uses it a lot. While our drills teach the technique CS and sparring actually allow us to use it with a noncompliant partner. Good training in our book.

A headbutt is an effective weapon, proven fact.
    Yeah, within what you would call "close ranged combat" yes. But this was meant to be a chi sau session?

Also why do you show Sifu Ng the respect of including a title but not Sifu Williams? Are you that familiar with him?

I seriously don't get the total lack of respect for people who created the path for us to follow regardless of who your instructor is or what style you choose to practice.
    Well, tbh, looking at Randy's behaviour, what he says and how he acts in these vids, I have to say that it is not indicative of what I would call a Sifu. Further, having watched his instructional vids and having read his books, well, I still feel that he is lacking. That said, it is primarily his behaviour that, for me at least, inclines me to not refer to him with the Sifu title in tow.

Take a closer look at Shawn's wrap and you may notice a right thumb in his left eye.
    Yes, I noted that myself. Thing is many of these techniques are last ditch desperation techniques. They are not really techniques to come out in chi sau. He only does them because he lacks the ability and skill to use the more 'standard' toolsets available from wing chun, when chi sauing.

Randy uses a lot of strength and speed in his wing chun. I believe he thinks himself of a bigger physical stature than he actually is and this, I believe, effects the way he does wing chun. Small man complex alpha male, but really a beta, syndrome?