Thread: Tradional technique vs. tournament technique

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Tradional technique vs. tournament technique

If we compare the traditional technique "front cut (Osoto Gari)" and the tournament (modified) technique "1/2 front cut 1/2 leg block (1/2 Osoto Gari 1/2 Ashi Guruma)", we can see a big difference there.

1. foot placement (next to your opponent leading foot vs. infront and away from his leading foot),
    2. attacking angle (push your opponent back vs. rotate him sideway),
    3. body angle (your body is vertical vs. your body lean 45 degree forward)
    4. attacking leg (you attack your opponent's front leg vs. you attack his back leg).
    5. leg force (you kick your leg back vs. you sink your foot down).
    6. Your opponent's knee (you don't deal with your opponent's knee vs. you bend his knee sideway).
    7. ...

It's not hard to see that the traditional technique will only work against beginners. The tournament (modified) technique can be used to against a strong resisted opponent.

Traditional "front cut (Osoto Gari)":

http://cdn2.judoinfo.com/images/anim.../osotogari.htm

Tournament "1/2 front cut 1/2 leg block (1/2 Osoto Gari 1/2 Ashi Guruma)":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcA45dsJh2w

Here is the original Khadaji's article "Classical Osotogari Doesn't Work!":

http://www.bestjudo.com/article/0822...ri-doesnt-work

Here is the counter article by Steve Cunningham "Classical Osotogari Does Work!":

http://www.bestjudo.com/article/0823...eve-cunningham

- Which one's opinion do you agree with, Khadaji or Steve Cunningham?
    - Why the traditional technique is different from the tournament technique?
    - Is there any value to maintain the traditional training method?
    - Does the "striking art" also have the similiar issue?

What's your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    - Why the traditional technique is different from the tournament technique?
    - Is there any value to maintain the traditional training method?
    - Does the "striking art" also have the similiar issue?
    What's your thought?
    1) Tournament combat: There are rules, you basically "fight" for winning
    Traditional/Real combat: There are no rules, no categories... you "fight" for surviving

2) IMO, there is... but i think we have to ask this to ourselves. What are we training for? a tournament? training for life? training for protect ourselves? I think that's the answer for the "traditional technique vs tournament technique"

3) IMO it does... for example, Sanda and TCMA combats.... 1 is for tournament, the other one is quite much deeper

Quote Originally Posted by HmorenoM View Post
    1) Tournament combat: There are rules, you basically "fight" for winning
    Traditional/Real combat: There are no rules, no categories... you "fight" for surviving
    Tournament combat: generally works against full on resisting opponent.

Traditional/Real combat: generally doesn't work against full on resisting opponent because it is "too deadly" to be trained for real.

Sanda and TCMA combats.... 1 is for tournament, the other one is quite much deeper
    One works and one doesn't work so well.

I like Mr. Cunningham's quote from the end of the article; "You ... play to win." He is in the context of the article referring to the use of judo technique which is inefficient since such use is necessitated by the rules.

Also, his distinctions between tactics used when under time limit and when not I think make a good point; situation dictates the 'rules.'

For the record, I've had to use a throw in a self defense situation; I nailed the traditional version of Osoto Gari.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Blog Entries
    Your throw may always work against beginners. In order to make your throw work against non-beginner, you will need to move yourself to the next level. After you have moved to the next level, should you still use your throw that you have learned in your beginner level training?

For example, if you apply a "hip throw", when you spin, your opponent can spin with you and drag you down to the ground. In your middle (or advance) level of training, you have replaced all your body spin by a 90 degree sharp turn. Should you still keep the word "spin" in your dictionary, or should you totally remove that word from your dictionary?

One of my senior SC brothers believes we should preserve the traditional method so we all know where did we come from. I'm more in favor of to discard the traditional method and replaced with the evolved method.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-03-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Tournament combat: generally works against full on resisting opponent.

Traditional/Real combat: generally doesn't work against full on resisting opponent because it is "too deadly" to be trained for real.

One works and one doesn't work so well.
    Now, my buddies in the sandpit would dispute that LaRoux, they are fighting a traditional and very real kind of combat, and they are only mildly amused by my stories of hand-to-hand and <giggle> tournaments!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Now, my buddies in the sandpit would dispute that LaRoux, they are fighting a traditional and very real kind of combat, and they are only mildly amused by my stories of hand-to-hand and <giggle> tournaments!
    ShortsSports with mittens, on padding.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    ShortsSports with mittens, on padding.
    I asked a particularly experienced friend of mine (3 tours) if he ever had any hand-to-hand training (Drake, you still around?). He said he was taught one move he used, which was grabbing a hand with two fingers in each hand, and pulling sideways, while bending back.
    He used it once in a situation where there were several 'maybe bad' guys all rounded up and they were having a bit of a chat when one grabbed for his sidearm, in a suicide holster on his chest. When he did it it tore the guys hand in half, nearly down to the wrist.

I wonder if that qualifies as an effective 'real combat' technique, bit you'd get disqualified if you tried it in a tournament. Just sayin...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia