Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tradional technique vs. tournament technique

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Look what YOU wrote:

By that logic ( which I agree with), if you can't beat a person in a sport match because the rules and conditions are known and you would be, typically, on equal footing as it were, how can you hope to beat that person when you are NOT equal and the conditions are unknown?
    Logically, you can't.
    EX:
    If I fight someone in the ring and we are both limited by rules and I know him because I have studied his previous fights or maybe in films of him, BUT I can't beat him under those conditions which are far more favorable to me than if I did NOT know anything or there were no rules to level the playing field, then it makes no sense to thing I can beat him when he is NOT limited to those rules and conditions and I do NOT know him at all.
    That is where the unknown comes in, you don't know what he us going to do on the street, so who ever is cunning will have the advantage. Not necessarily the guy in better shape, its more about being surprised and adjusting than attrition .

But it all depends on who against who, but just because you could beat him using rules does not mean you can beat him without rules. All things that work for him might be against the rules.

Blog Entries
    Since we can only train in the sport environment, we can't train in the street environment, to argue that "street training" is better than "sport training" is meaningless.

Can anybody explain what a "street training" suppose to look like?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Since we can only train in the sport environment, we can't train in the street environment, to argue that "street training" is better than "sport training" is meaningless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKqYkvmdkU

something like this i think... as real as possible

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

street cred

You know, I got out of most of my street fights in High School just by posing. I could do a decent Bruce Lee impersonation (actually it's more like a Shaw Brothers villain impersonation, but all Chinese looked alike back then so they couldn't differentiate), and you'd be amazed how many high schoolers backed down at the sight back then. Of course, that was a long time ago, back when mastodons walked the earth (although I even got a few mastodons to back down too).

The point is that nothing is really useless on the street, even posing fu. Some stuff might be inappropriate, like bringing a ground game to a river fight or a flying kick to an icy street, but you never really know what might lay in store. So the best way to train for the street is to train a lot of stuff. Tournaments are definitely included in that, IMO. You won't learn it all from that, but you're sure to learn something (most likely that you suck at sparring ).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Nothing compares to the lessons you learn watching yourself fight full contact on video.
    Training is made up of pieces, some of this, some of that, and the endless progression of challenges. Heavy contact has to be part of your training, sometime in your career, and tournaments are a convenient and rather safe place to exercise.

By the grace of God, should you be lucky enough to never have to use your art, but if you do you'll benefit from those lessons undoubtedly.

Gene also makes a great point, with skill comes confidence to exercise a number of non-combative strategies to diffuse a potentially bad situation. It comes down to experience.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

<Reads Thread, Slaps forehead>

HaZaaa!

Here's the deal,

Traditional Technique teaches form, not function.

Function mutates over time.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Here's the deal,

Traditional Technique teaches form, not function.

Function mutates over time.
    Please take your logic and common sense elsewhere, there is no room for that in this thread !

Sanjuru, you and maybe two other people reading that comment will understand the post - everyone else will get angry and start posting about MMA vs TCMA or Da Streetz.

So with that you'll see that I'm definitely not introducing any logic or common sense to this thread.

Commence with the LARPing my friends. HaZaa!

Sanjuru, you and maybe two other people reading that comment will understand the post - everyone else will get angry and start posting about MMA vs TCMA or Da Streetz.

So with that you'll see that I'm definitely not introducing any logic or common sense to this thread.

Commence with the LARPing my friends. HaZaa!
    Don't knock larp'ing dude, its been proven that there are some hotties that like to larp

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Don't knock larp'ing dude, its been proven that there are some hotties that like to larp
    I don't knock LARPing at all- in fact I see it as a positive outlet for creative energy. I also advocate that we who participate in martial arts are LARPing at various degrees... and that there's nothing wrong with that and I believe that it's a liberating and positive attitude to understand that you are in fact LARPing when studying martial arts.

Like I said, we're a little cooler than the comicon kids, but not quite as cool as Civil War reenactors because they have horses and canons.

Anything goes.

Outnumber

use tools

---

in a tourney

we level the plain fields

one vs one

no this no that

with a ref

rules and rules

etc etc

in a street

no rules.

No body is saying it is better, only different.......different doesn't mean better !

Train without rules and protection, what is so hard about that, well I take that back , the concept is easy, application and control is not. If all you can do is through hay makers at each other it won't work.

I don't knock LARPing at all- in fact I see it as a positive outlet for creative energy. I also advocate that we who participate in martial arts are LARPing at various degrees... and that there's nothing wrong with that and I believe that it's a liberating and positive attitude to understand that you are in fact LARPing when studying martial arts.

Like I said, we're a little cooler than the comicon kids, but not quite as cool as Civil War reenactors because they have horses and canons.
    I disagree that the horses and canons make the civil war guys cooler, too noisy and horse poop all over.
    We have silk jammies, exotic weapons that can just as easily eviscerate us as our opponent, monks that kick ass and hanging stuff off our scrotum, you don't find that **** on the civil war battlefield !!