Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harlem Shake

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/CMAarticle28.htm

I remember Sal Canzonieri's description of Vagabond school always sounded cool in the pre-youtube days, does anyone have any clip-links from like Hong Kong Kung Fu Corner or a Wu Shu demo labeled in Chinese featuring Vagabond-Wanderer style?.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    You know, this actually goes a bit of a way in explaining some things. For instance, this Jake Mace guy's unwillingness to come out about his kung fu lineage (not like I really care about that anyways). It would make sense that he avoids that question so much in his threads on youtube, particularly after he was discovered here, if it has some bearing on a non-disclosure agreement as part of the legal case.

I almost (almost) feel a little bad for the guy. I mean, its obvious his stuff isn't legit. Rather its not "traditional." Which I really don't care much about. But speaking in terms of what I do know of his stuff, his mantis is off. It doesn't seem to follow any sort of conceptual approach, 12 keys etc. I can't speak much else on his kung fu since I only have a basic understanding from my time in Hung Gar before I jumped ship to MMA. But that said, he's no different than any other SD'er out there that I know (I served with some in the military), or 90% of the "legit" kung fu'ers for that matter.

But he seems like a decent enough guy. I don't think he means anyone wrong. And what some seem to take as an arrogant attitude, I think he just comes across as enthusiastic for what I perceive as his love in life. Its obvious he's a health nut, even if a number of his views are misguided (such as some of his beliefs in certain diets, etc.).

Really, I don't see many people here on KFM that have much leg to stand on in criticizing him. Many here, I would put in the same boat as this Jake Mace/Jacob Rydberg guy. That' will probably **** a lot of people here off (as if I was worried about that). But frankly, if you're the type that gets overly offended by that comment, I'm probably talking about you.

I just don't know if I can really hold it against the guy. He comes across as sincere. Then again, those that actually believe their own lie are often the most convincing.

That said, ****, I mean I'm drunk off Troeg's right now but that drunken boxing was just.... /facepalm

Well, a few things..

Certainly the guy seems nice, he's charismatic. I'm sure he's a good teacher. He's probably a great kids instructor. But he's teaching a lie, and he knows that (at least after that court case, I would really hope he would know that he's doing kuntao and sh!t Sin The learned from books). Considering that he's deceptively marketing what he does as "ancient Shaolin", I can't feel pitty for all the criticism he gets on here.

I have to disagree with you - to a point - that what Jake Mace does is just the same as 90% of TCMA's. In the interest of not bringning up a giant discussion and really derailing this thread (more than it already has..), I'm going to leave out all the discussion of what's wrong with TMA today, etc. etc.

This is how I see it:

Jake Mace is the Tiger Shulman of Kung Fu. It's a McKwoon. An honest McKwoon, perhaps, but still a McKwoon.

Personally, I feel like the average TMA can at least put up halfway decent of a fight, but this stuff Mace teaches is just downright embarassing.

addendum: here's the simple version, I think:

One could be a better fighter if they spent more time practicing their techniques
    The other may never be a good fighter because they learned bullsh!t
    Last edited by Kymus; 05-30-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.