Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What go you into the Internal Arts

What go you into the Internal Arts

Hello all,

I have been interested in studying an Internal Art. As I get older, my body does not recover from hard workouts like it did when I was younger. The internal arts seem to be something I can practice as I age, and I am looking into Tai Chi which is the only art taught around my area.

I would like to get some feedback in how you go into the internal arts (tai chi, bagau, hsing i ).

Thanx for your time.

Fidel

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel View Post
    Hello all,

I have been interested in studying an Internal Art. As I get older, my body does not recover from hard workouts like it did when I was younger. The internal arts seem to be something I can practice as I age, and I am looking into Tai Chi which is the only art taught around my area.

I would like to get some feedback in how you go into the internal arts (tai chi, bagau, hsing i ).

Thanx for your time.

Fidel
    You probably are asking on the wrong forum, but you can start by reading some books on it, "Tai Chi Classics" will give you a overview of the theory of the art.

Books by 'Yang Jing Ming and Manta Chai" will tell you more of a development path.

Most people here don't think "internal arts" exist , so don't listen to them, they will troll in to give their unwanted and unwarranted opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You probably are asking on the wrong forum, but you can start by reading some books on it, "Tai Chi Classics" will give you a overview of the theory of the art.

Books by 'Yang Jing Ming and Manta Chai" will tell you more of a development path.

Most people here don't think "internal arts" exist , so don't listen to them, they will troll in to give their unwanted and unwarranted opinion .
    Don't confuse the criticism of the BS that SOME make the IMA to be with criticism of the actual arts.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Don't confuse the criticism of the BS that SOME make the IMA to be with criticism of the actual arts.
    I actually accept some of the less fantastic claims of Internal schools, and I value their practice. I have trained in Tai Chi and I hope to again one day. However, the the value is in proper use of bio-mechanics and not magical Chi.

On the other hand, a meditative mind during practice is also valuable in self-defense and everyday life as well.

But do internal styles do magic? No!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I actually accept some of the less fantastic claims of Internal schools, and I value their practice. I have trained in Tai Chi and I hope to again one day. However, the the value is in proper use of bio-mechanics and not magical Chi.

On the other hand, a meditative mind during practice is also valuable in self-defense and everyday life as well.

But do internal styles do magic? No!
    Not magic in the real sense of the word, but seems like magic to most of the people who cannot do it.

Not magic in the real sense of the word, but seems like magic to most of the people who cannot do it.
    I agree with you there.

Internal arts include ba gua and tai chi as pointed out.

However, in terms of training aspects:

there are internal focusing training and external focusing training.

And these exist in all styles.

I really like Dr. Yang Jwing Ming's Tai Chi Chuan: Classical Yang Style as reference (though I too am just about to start a Tai Chi class, though it is unlikely to focus on the martial aspects of the art). I also have a couple of his DVDs that nice to have, especially as companions to the books.

One of the really cool aspects of the book is his scientific explanation of chi in both a bio mechanical and bio electric system. Its a great explanation of a complex topic that makes ideas like chi cultivation make a lot of sense.

Thanx for the info. I will be checking out a school near my home and ask the instructor about the postures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel View Post
    As I get older, my body does not recover from hard workouts like it did when I was younger.
    If you think that "internal" means moving slow then you may not understand "If you don't use it, you will lose it". Even when I'm 80 years old, I still like to move like a butterfly instead of to move like an old man. I may not like to do tornado kick but I force myself to do it. The way that I look at this is if I can still do 10 tornado kicks non-stop when I'm 80 years old, my heart will still be in my 40.

The older that you are, the more that you should move fast. The fast movement will delay your aging process.

There is a good reason that a 80 years old man wants to have a 20 years old wife. TCMA is no different. If you think you are old, you are truly old.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-29-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I have had a different experience than many as far as 'internal' goes. the work outs are still as challenging as you can make them. The main difference as I have experienced 'internal' methods breaks down into accepted practices as far as specific stresses on the body goes. 'external' methods tend to care less about whether or not an approach in training will be harmful to your body to minor or medium degrees. where as 'internal' methods typically will work around more healthy approaches of developing skill. this is not to say that the work outs are not challenging, they are every bit as much so as any 'external' style can be, they are just different. there is a more mindful approach as to how we are going to develop our bodies and our skill sets.

this is not to say that 'internal' arts will never be harmful, or that 'external' arts will always be more harmful, just that as an average each respectively tends work with a different mindset in terms of what is acceptable abuse to the body.

you will on average find 'internal' arts to be more pleasing to an aging body as one focus will be on health, longevity, and ability to continue your practice into old age.

however this is NOT exclusive to 'internal' martial arts. likewise, you will find 'internal' styles that will bang up against each other on a regular basis, and move with 'deadly' intention and according speed and power.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Which of the following drills will take more energy out of you?

1. 20 punches,
    2. 20 hip throws,
    3. 20 sping hook kicks,
    4. 20 tornado kicks,

There is a good reason that IMA doesnot have much body rotation (such as spin hook kick), body bending (such as hip throw), and body jumping (such as tornado kick).

Try to avoid body rotation, body bending, and body jumping, and just do your punches, it will make you feel easy on your body. It will not help you to slow down your aging. Trying to avoid to challange your body in your old age is a wrong approach IMO.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Which of the following drills will take more energy out of you?

1. 20 punches,
    2. 20 hip throws,
    3. 20 sping hook kicks,
    4. 20 tornado kicks,

There is a good reason that IMA doesnot have much body rotation (such as spin hook kick), body bending (such as hip throw), and body jumping (such as tornado kick).

Try to avoid body rotation, body bending, and body jumping, and just do your punches, it will make you feel easy on your body. It will not help you to slow down your aging. Trying to avoid to challange your body in your old age is a wrong approach IMO.
    Isn't there a Chinese saying ,that says something about you only have so much, if you use it up its gone. ?

Isn't there a Chinese saying ,that says something about you only have so much, if you use it up its gone. ?
    When hungry, eat!
    When sleepy, sleep!
    When thirsty, drink!
    When exhausted, rest!

You cannot use up what can be replenished, unless you're too stupid to eat, drink, sleep and rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    When hungry, eat!
    When sleepy, sleep!
    When thirsty, drink!
    When exhausted, rest!

You cannot use up what can be replenished, unless you're too stupid to eat, drink, sleep and rest!
    Thanks Scott have heard that one, that is not a longevity saying, but just short term saying.

No, it is a Chinese saying, not American saying, something about life force being used up. I know your not Chinese , so you don't know, or a least are unaware of the saying.