Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fallon Fox

the fight is tomorrow...

There's a vid with interview material, so you can hear Fallon speak for herself
    Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Fallon Fox: "I'm Just Another Woman"
    The transgender fighter answered her critics in an interview with NBC 6
    By Willard Shepard
    | Wednesday, May 22, 2013 | Updated 1:10 AM EDT

Transgender mixed martial arts fighter Fallon Fox is about to put her perfect record on the line in South Florida. And the battle isn’t just in the ring. “I'm just another woman, just like any of them. I just come from a different background,“ she said in an interview with NBC 6’s Willard Shepard. Former professional fighter Mickey Demos and Amateur boxer Syeda Fahmin discussed Fox’s strength.

A transgender mixed martial arts fighter is about to put her perfect record on the line in South Florida. And the battle isn’t just in the ring.

Those highly popular MMA cage fights are getting lots of attention this week from people who don’t normally attend or tune in. A woman who used to be a man has the green light from the state to participate against a female opponent Friday night in Coral Gables – and there’s no shortage of supporters and critics.

“I'm just another woman, just like any of them. I just come from a different background,“ Fallon Fox said.

Fox knows as the first transgender fighter in the MMA cage events she’s breaking barriers. She is in South Florida to step into the cage again Friday night at the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center, where she will face off against Allana Jones.

The reality for Fox is her life before as a man is difficult to escape.

“I expected there to be some pushback from some people,” Fox said.

Fox so far is undefeated at 5-0. At a bout in Coral Gables in March she made quick work of her opponent, knocking her out just 39 seconds after the bell rang.

“I don't feel I have any advantage,” Fox said. “I can't see what advantages I would have.”

But some people don’t see it that way, and a complaint was filed concerning how Fox got her MMA participant license with the Florida State Boxing Commission. When she applied in Florida she indicated that she was licensed in California, but she hadn’t been fully licensed there because her application was under a medical review, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation said. The agency ultimately dismissed the complaint, saying that Fox did not commit fraud or deceit when she secured her Florida license.

“I was pretty sure that in the end they were going to come to the conclusion that I deserved to be licensed and that I am just as female as any other competitor,” Fox said.

Experts say the boxing commission in essence is caught in a catch-22. While their lawyers have already determined that Fox can participate in the fight on Friday, the boxing commission also has another duty – its primary one – to make sure that no one gets hurt.

“I think it’s crazy. I think she's going to hurt another female,” said former professional fighter Mickey Demos.

He trains female and male athletes as the University of Miami boxing coach.

“She's basically a man with lower testosterone levels,” Demos said. “She built up her strength when she had higher testosterone levels as a youngster. She has a residual muscle base.“

Complete South Florida Sports Coverage

Amateur boxer Syeda Fahmin said, “Just because she was born as a man, physically she’s just different. She’s built differently – everything about her. If you look at her hands and my hands they're going to be different. Her shoulders are different. Her strength is different.”

But Fox calls the arguments against her similar to what was done to minority and gay athletes before.

“Now, it’s transsexuals in sports. I think they need to look at me as a person, just realize I have passion for my sport and I just want to do what everyone else is doing, and I love what I do,” she said.

One person who isn’t concerned is Fox’s opponent. Jones says Fox is the one who’s going to get knocked out.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I think the question is; is fox willing to fight men instead?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    bah, the whole argument is stupid...in today's PC world we're not supposed to disagree or say that a transgender person isn't who they 'are' now. ****ing retarded is what it is. when fighting has to become politically correct, what else is left?

lol, I think the ability to pitch or catch determines gender/sex ...and the politiolegal difference between those two terms is BS too... and since, Fallon can't pitch or catch now...he/she is out of the game period...or not, lol...hahahaha, I crack myself up

[awaits banning]
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i don't know why this hasn't been said already.

the proof of the inequality is that I don't believe we'll ever see a female to male transgender successfully compete at the pro level.

a person born xx will never have the bone density or muscle building capacity of a person born xy no matter how much testosterone they take.
    Well, that and they have the barbie girl inculcated into their core belief system and the crybaby gene and I believe the term "sissy" is derived from sister.

So, it only makes sense that women won't excel at the manly arts.
    I don't think too many dudes are crapping out babies though, so we're even right?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Well, that and they have the barbie girl inculcated into their core belief system and the crybaby gene and I believe the term "sissy" is derived from sister.

So, it only makes sense that women won't excel at the manly arts.
    I don't think too many dudes are crapping out babies though, so we're even right?
    well, yea, I guess that makes the sexes even...I know I would never ever want to give birth. I do not envy women being stuck with that role.

I don't think 'fighting' is a manly art per se. the point is that the playing field should be as even as possible, which is the reason they have separate leagues for women and men...and weight classes for that matter.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

the real test is if you see any transgender fighters going in the opposite direction. I'm willing to bet you will not ever see that, and if you do, that person will not fair well in the long run.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

yea, that's what I said that david quoted.

my main point being that common sense is being overruled by political correctness.

yea, that's what I said that david quoted.
    i dont understand the languages that dravin jemisronz types. but i just read your quote and i agree with you. but i cant tell what jimezonx is talking about cuz of his language choices.

There should be a GenderBender League for the few people who think they need to compete in traditional male only/ female only designated competition. It's only fair to those placing bets on fighting venues. Has to be fair, no genetic altering either. Otherwise, shouldn't all steroid/hormone doping be allowed to even things up? Or out? Go figure, Donkey Punch. http://www.sherdog.com/
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-27-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Fallon won

Good. We can keep this thread going now...

Follow the link for vid.
    Trans fighter Fallon Fox wins unimpressively (Video)
    By Maggie Hendricks | Cagewriter – Sat, May 25, 2013 10:28 AM EDT

Considering Fallon Fox won her first two fights in the first round, it was expected for the first openly trans fighter to walk through her next opponent, Allanna Jones at Championship Fighting Alliance on Friday. In her first nationally televised bout, Fox won with a submission in the third round, but it was not the overwhelming win that oddsmakers were expecting.

You can watch the full fight in the video above. Fox and Jones both made mistakes like keeping their hands too low and holding their chin out too far throughout the bout. They looked like two inexperienced fighters because that's what they are.

Much of the controversy that surrounded Fox was the perception that since she was born a man, she would have clear advantage over her opponents. As Sherdog's Jordan Breen pointed out, "So, did anyone watch that and think, 'Wow, what an insurmountable advantage Fallon Fox has, no one could ever beat her!'?" She beat a 2-1 fighter, but not soundly. When she goes up in level of competition, as she will do in the next round of the CFA tournament, she will have a hard time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

heh, could fox have been sandbagging? i'll have to watch the rest later but it looked liked she let go of that shoulder lock at the end of the first round.

Think Fox should have to fight guys if he's going to be swinging both ways. Definitely male physique. If the glove doesn't fit, you must admit. (It doesn't fit).

yea, I would not mistake Fox for a woman from behind at all.

heh, could fox have been sandbagging? i'll have to watch the rest later but it looked liked she let go of that shoulder lock at the end of the first round.
    I was wondering the same thing. In his/her position, surrounding the controversy, I would definately tone down my game to keep the fights coming in.