Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Techniques that you have never used

Blog Entries

Techniques that you have never used

Let's leave health, performance, self-cultivation, and inner peace out of this discussion.

Does the following bother you?

- Your XingYi teacher asked you to do Pi Chuan everyday.
    - You have spent all your life working on Pi Chuan.
    - Oneday you get old and look back.
    - You realize that you have never used your Pi Chuan in any sparring or street fight.
    - You start to wonder if you have spent the same amount training time in you jab, cross, uppercut, hook combo all those years, will you be more happy about yourself in your old age?

Oneday when you become a teacher. Will you teach your students how to do "Pi Chuan", or will you teach your students how to do "jab, cross, uppercut, hook"?

The "jab, cross, uppercut, hook" may not be in your system. But how hard will it be for you to put it into your system (or just put into your own body and forget about your system)?

Have you ever look back and count how many teachniques that you have trained but never being used?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I've used pi quan in sparring. It's great when your just playing hands.

I haven't really used a full deep horse stance in any sparring or street fight. But I've used it a lot when taking a dump. Does that count? I've taken far more dumps than I've spent time sparring or in street fights.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Let's leave health, performance, self-cultivation, and inner peace out of this discussion.

- You realize that you have never used your Pi Chuan in any sparring or street fight.
    - You start to wonder if you have spent the same amount training time in you jab, cross, uppercut, hook combo all those years, will you be more happy about yourself in your old age?

Oneday when you become a teacher. Will you teach your students how to do "Pi Chuan", or will you teach your students how to do "jab, cross, uppercut, hook"?

The "jab, cross, uppercut, hook" may not be in your system. But how hard will it be for you to put it into your system (or just put into your own body and forget about your system)?

Have you ever look back and count how many teachniques that you have trained but never being used?
    Maybe if you had done what your teacher told you to do "Practice Pi quan" then you would be more than adept enough with it to use it in combat or sparring.

Yes, many times.

I have, in fact, changed my teaching methods because of this thought. When I was young and had a thousand years to live I emphasized the "canon" of material at the expence of the simple core techniques. Now I emphasize the "seeds" and leave the rest for those interested in further study. I think the more elaborate techniques still offer great stuff for exposure to ideas but these can always be recreated as need arises.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I haven't really used a full deep horse stance in any sparring or street fight. But I've used it a lot when taking a dump. Does that count? I've taken far more dumps than I've spent time sparring or in street fights.
    I think if you dump in the street, or on your boss's desk, that's more of a political statement.

I don't think this is a problem that happens in a school that engages in regular sparring and playing hands. It's really not possible in a place that does that because reality does a fantastic job of weeding out the bull sh*t.

No, why would I, unless I was on the wrong path, each step gets you closer to your destination , unless you are walking in circle.

Here's my question for YouKnowWho...

If you could do it all over again, would you change what you did?

Agreed. Reality also is great at pointing out what is used most frequently and what is better used as a supplement to the core methods of a system/style.

Trying to use a superman punch for example, will be much more successful if one has the base punching clinching and kicking skill set down and ,goes to the superman punch to change things up. The same could be said for kam choi, or flying arm bar if used as a fundamental without a well rounded, well developed base, the opponent will clue in very quickly to your game and adapt if you don't get them the first time.
    -Golden Arms-

There are many things I have done in forms that I have never done in real life.
    I don't recall ever doing an "upward block" for example or most of the blocks I learned in Karate now that I think of it...
    I have used pretty much every type of strike though.
    I learned many throws in judo but have ever only used a handful of them.

Would I teach the others? Sure because maybe someone else night be able to use them, they may be better suited to them then for me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Here's my question for YouKnowWho...

If you could do it all over again, would you change what you did?
    I would analysis all techniques and find a set of techniques that

- fit my body type, and also
    - meet my own interest.

For example, I like toe push kick. I don't like heel kick (it has shorter reach than toe push kick). I could spend my training time to make my toe push kick twice as good instead of to spend my training time to develop both kicks.

I'll also totally ignore the longfist "360 degree forward and backward floor sweep" training and many similiar techniques developing like that ...

I have trained so many TCMA styles in my life. As far as the punching skill, I still like:

- jab, cross, jab (one step 3 punches),
    - running punch (3 steps 1 punch),
    - jab , cross, uppercut, hook,
    - hook, back fist, uppercut,

more than my longfist

- cross, kick punch, jab,
    - kick punch, kick punch, jump kick punch, jab.

where kick punch is to kick one leg and punch the opposite hand at the same time.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I've never done any flying kicks outside of forms

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I think if you dump in the street, or on your boss's desk, that's more of a political statement.
    Taking a dump on the street is an act of necessity.
    Taking a dump of my boss's desk is an act of resignation.
    Doing the Harlem Shake in the street is a political statement.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Pi quan

We place both hands forward and downward.

We may not use this a lot or at all.

However, it is very good for development of foundational body structure and movement.

Pi is in all styles with different ways of doing the same function.

In Pi gua zhang, we use the whole arm and swing in a big circle.

In Ba gua zhang, we may use drilling zhang or penetraing palm first then Pi.

etc etc

True. We may practice lots of stuff.

Do we use all the them ? probably not.

We probably resort to 2 or 3 techniques or just a few most of the time.

Such is the life.

Last edited by SPJ; 03-07-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Flying Kicks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I am particular to joint locks. Having said there are a lot of locks I probably never used.

I have used a few elbow/shoulder locks and even some finger locks.

i have never used wrist locks.
    Behold. Mighty Ross. His coming was foretold in the Book of BaWang. He will come with a Vengeance on David, Son of Jamie. The Warring Trolls will unite across the Forums of Ching. And the Virgin Warrior, Pure-Hearted Lucas shall be offered up in Sacrifice to appease His Wrath. His Truth will ring in the hearts of the Kickboxers, and They shall be Glorified forevermore. Peace be upon you, Internet Traveler.