Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Techniques that you have never used

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Flying Kicks.
    I've used a double jump kick in sparring a lot, but I push like a teep instead of kicking up like a traditional Chinese kick. It works when someone has their back pinned to a wall (or cage).

I've tried a few tornado kicks, but never landed one solidly. I clipped a guy once, but he rushed in on me and ended up taking my back.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Flying Kicks.
    I did use flying kick a lot when I was young. When I used my "flying side kick" to come down 45 degree on my opponent's leading leg knee joint, I could put my opponent in 100% defense at that particular moment. Very little risk on my part. Either I land my foot on my opponent's knee joint, or I land my feet infront of him if he moves back. To my opponent, it's a kick. To me, it's just close the distance (but my opponent doesn't know that)
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I've landed a few jumping kicks. Not spinning though. Never tried that. Infact I have never used a spinning kick in a fight. Well, aside from the spinning back kick, but I don't really count that. Likewise I have used spinning elbow but never a backfist. I find the elbow is pretty effective in close quarters.

I've also never used the splits...

...maybe that's because I never quite got the splits. Nevertheless, they appear in a few of my Bak Sil Lum forms.

Flying Kicks.
    Didn't I just say that two posts above yours? I've seen other people use flying kicks. I've just never used them for anything practical beyond showing off. I was never that confident with my high kicks, much less my flying ones.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Flying knees work pretty well too. Especially against a less experienced person that is bigger than you are. That shit hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...maybe that's because I never quite got the splits. Nevertheless, they appear in a few of my Bak Sil Lum forms.

Didn't I just say that two posts above yours? I've seen other people use flying kicks. I've just never used them for anything practical beyond showing off. I was never that confident with my high kicks, much less my flying ones.
    I haven't purposefully thumbed an eye either Or bitten someone.

Also, I don't think I've ever used a low leg sweep with any success, but I have used a short bearded hook step to good success. Basically a short sweep/kick. Works great when you are standing and touching/maneuvering for position of strength.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well, I got you there.

I have purposefully thumbed an eye. See Biters vs. Fighters.

I have also purposefully bitten some one.

But she bit first.

Seriously, you train biting?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I never trained Xing Yi, but I sparred someone who used Pi Chuan against me very successfully. He was much larger and more powerful than me, but I think the main reason I had so much difficulty was because of my unfamiliarity with the technique/concept.

I have used the back spinning sweep successfully. It needs to be set up and is difficult to pull off, but it's doable. I intend to train it seriously and master the move. (Note to self, start that already!)

I have used various flying kicks while sparring, but rarely. I love them for a training method, however. To me they are the same as their "regular" versions, only done in the air for increased difficulty and training coordination.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    I think the "ground sweep" is to "use the maximum effort to achieve the minimum result". All your opponent needs to do is to lift his leg and let your sweep to pass under.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think the "ground sweep" is to "use the maximum effort to achieve the minimum result". All your opponent needs to do is to lift his leg and let your sweep to pass under.
    I think it is useless against an on-balance opponent. My best luck with it was by setting it up with a kick to the opposite leg, to force the weight on the leg you are sweeping. It's very risky and tough to pull off, but when it works, it's a thing of beauty.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Likewise I have used spinning elbow but never a backfist.
    Rarely used spinning backfist, but landed it one time when I was still doing Kenpo.

The other guy's teeth cut all the way through his upper lip.

He got stitched up and the next day the teacher found out and yelled at him for not wearing a mouth guard. And I had to clean all the blood we left all over the mats.

Let's leave health, performance, self-cultivation, and inner peace out of this discussion.

Does the following bother you?

- Your XingYi teacher asked you to do Pi Chuan everyday.
    - You have spent all your life working on Pi Chuan.
    - Oneday you get old and look back.
    - You realize that you have never used your Pi Chuan in any sparring or street fight.
    - You start to wonder if you have spent the same amount training time in you jab, cross, uppercut, hook combo all those years, will you be more happy about yourself in your old age?

Oneday when you become a teacher. Will you teach your students how to do "Pi Chuan", or will you teach your students how to do "jab, cross, uppercut, hook"?

The "jab, cross, uppercut, hook" may not be in your system. But how hard will it be for you to put it into your system (or just put into your own body and forget about your system)?

Have you ever look back and count how many teachniques that you have trained but never being used?
    I have used Pi Chuan in every contest, ring or street, I have ever been involved with as have my students. If this concept of Pi is not found useful, I would hazard a guess that it is not well understood by the person attempting to apply same.

Too often, people become "hung" on the notion of the action and forget to apply the concept. It should be understood that by attempting to apply "actions" one learns over time how to apply "concept." After that, actions are of no real use other than to teach others.

Combat is a chaotic event. If you're looking for that "picture perfect technique/kodak moment" then get used to dissapointment. However, if you look to applied concept, well then... now you have something to work with.

That's not to say that I eschew jab, cross, uppercut, hook by any means.

Just my two cents.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

Also, I don't think I've ever used a low leg sweep with any success, but I have used a short bearded hook step to good success. Basically a short sweep/kick. Works great when you are standing and touching/maneuvering for position of strength.
    I stuck my thumb in the eye of an aikido teacher who said he could beat me by sticking his thumbs in my eyes. I jammed my thumb in and said "I can do that too, bro!"
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Seriously, you train biting?
    train? no, but I do test bite grip and jaw strength (bite rope and hang) on occasion.

Biting is a legit thing, I've never used it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

YouKnowWho, if your are refering to Metal, the form or simply assuming the standing position, I have an easy answer for you: you either had a bad teacher, or you are a bad student. Excuse me for being confrontational, but after a "lifetime of training", you should be able to answer any fighting situation with metal. Anything. I think you never put in the effort or time.