Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Techniques that you have never used

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaL9H View Post
    YouKnowWho, if your are refering to Metal, the form or simply assuming the standing position, I have an easy answer for you: you either had a bad teacher, or you are a bad student. Excuse me for being confrontational, but after a "lifetime of training", you should be able to answer any fighting situation with metal. Anything. I think you never put in the effort or time.
    This is awesome!

Always a treat when someone admonishes and chastises a world class Shuai chiao sifu in such a presumptive and suppositional manner.

John Wang, apparently your half a century of study and practice in traditional chinese martial arts was wrong according to this guy. What have you got to say for yourself?

Kung Fu is good for you.

1. In Xing Yi 5 element fist

Pi Beng Zhuan Pao Heng

Pi was considered the first and the last posture or most important

The root structure sort of

--

2. for me

Beng is the toughest one to do correctly

well some would say they are all difficult to do correctly

3. and yes

in the old time, some would just do Pi for years.

and actually use Beng more.

4. fast and direct ones (techniques) are used more with more success rate.

--

Just to point out

where the first post comes from or is based upon

--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CicadaL9H View Post
    YouKnowWho, if your are refering to Metal, the form or simply assuming the standing position, I have an easy answer for you: you either had a bad teacher, or you are a bad student. Excuse me for being confrontational, but after a "lifetime of training", you should be able to answer any fighting situation with metal. Anything. I think you never put in the effort or time.
    The XingYi Pi Chuan is just one example to be used for discussion. It can be:

- Taiji "single whip",
    - Longfist "tornado kick",
    - SC "hand harmony",

I assume if I use the SC "hand harmony" or longfist "tornado kick" as example, you may say that I also have a bad SC/longfist teacher, and I'm also a bad SC/longfist student.

If you only have few tools in your toolbox, when an opportunity present to you, you will use whatever that you have in your toolbox to handle that situation. If you have more tools in your toolbox, when the same opportunity present to you, you will use your favor tools to handle that situation. After you have success with your favor tools, you will like to use those tools more and more. Soon, your favor tools will get better and better. Since you haven't tested your unfavor tools enough, your unfavor tools will become less effective.

You can

- write a book for 200 techniques (only pictures are needed).
    - produce a DVD for 100 techniques (you can keep filming until satisfied)
    - teach a workshop for 50 techniques (only slow motion are needed).
    - demo in public for 25 techniques (your opponent gives you the opportunity).
    - fight in the street/tournament for 10 techniques (you have to deal with resisted opponent).

We just can't put effort and time in everything. If we try to master everything, we will end with nothing.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-08-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post

Too often, people become "hung" on the notion of the action and forget to apply the concept. It should be understood that by attempting to apply "actions" one learns over time how to apply "concept." After that, actions are of no real use other than to teach others.

Combat is a chaotic event. If you're looking for that "picture perfect technique/kodak moment" then get used to dissapointment. However, if you look to applied concept, well then... now you have something to work with.

That's not to say that I eschew jab, cross, uppercut, hook by any means.

Just my two cents.
    Worth much more than "two cents" it is one of the few diamonds among the pig shit here ... and will be covered over in same far too quickly
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

And the concept of the day is ???.

"If you only have few tools in your toolbox, when an opportunity present to you, you will use whatever that you have in your toolbox to handle that situation. If you have more tools in your toolbox, when the same opportunity present to you, you will use your favor tools to handle that situation. After you have success with your favor tools, you will like to use those tools more and more. Soon, your favor tools will get better and better. Since you haven't tested your unfavor tools enough, your unfavor tools will become less effective.

You can

- write a book for 200 techniques (only pictures are needed).
    - produce a DVD for 100 techniques (you can keep filming until satisfied)
    - teach a workshop for 50 techniques (only slow motion are needed).
    - demo in public for 25 techniques (your opponent gives you the opportunity).
    - fight in the street/tournament for 10 techniques (you have to deal with resisted opponent).

We just can't put effort and time in everything. If we try to master everything, we will end with nothing."

I agree sir. As you know, in Hsing-I, Metal is that one tool. Being the foundation of the entire system, every other tool in the bag derives from it.

anything with bridging/wrist grab

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I'm guessing as a warm up right before you come on to moderate on the forum, he?
    lol. Your humour, it is acceptable.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    anything with bridging/wrist grab
    I'm not too sure about "bridging" now. Our mind will always change with time. "Today's we" may not even agree with "last year's we". I used to like bridging until oneday I sparred with my senior SC brother. He refused to let my arms to touch his arms. The moment that I tried to under hook or over hook on him, the moment that his arm just spin with my arm. It gave me an uncomfortable feeling as if I'm fighting against the thin air. One moment his arm is there, next moment his arm is no longer there. After that I tried to give my opponent the same uncomfortable feeling too. I started to de-emphasised the "bridging" concept. It's a 2 edges sword, when you can sense your opponent, your opponent can also sense you at the same time. If you can't sense your opponent, you will never know when and where your opponent will appear, it will give you some scary feeling.

I start to emphasis more and more on wrist grabbing. If I can use one of my hands to grab one of my opponent's wrist, I can soon turn a striking game into a grappling game. All I need is just one wrist grip. When my opponent tried to punch me with his free hand, I can use "combing hair" and move in. Since it's to my advantage, I love to use that strategy.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-08-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    Too often, people become "hung" on the notion of the action and forget to apply the concept.
    Agree!

The XingYi Pi Chuan is similiar to the LHPM "catch grasshopper". After the small circle (grab), there is a big circle (strike). The big circle then turn into a small circle (if you miss the strike, it turns into a grab). The previous small circle then turn into a big circle (the previous grab turns into another strike). I love this "concept" and had spent many training time in it. Since the "grab" has different meaning in SC, I take a different path after my "grab".

Come to think of it...

...I've never used that mantis claw backhanded strike. You know, the one where you hit with the back of your wrist. I had it used against me when just playing hands before, but I've never used it personally. And I've been dabbling in mantis for years. I guess that's why I just consider it dabbling...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I've never used that mantis claw backhanded strike. You know, the one where you hit with the back of your wrist.
    When Adam Hsu taught me the mantis Lun Je form, there are a lot of such moves in that form. I asked him, "Can someone really kills anybody by using this move?" Adam was quite shoked by the straight forward question that I asked. Today, I still think that move doesn't have much combat value.

Now that's a funny question.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    "Can someone really kills anybody by using this move?"
    I've never tried to actually kill anybody. I've used martial arts techniques on the street plenty of times, but never with the intention to kill. That's...well, that's overkill.

I had someone bloody my nose with that hook hand technique. He wasn't trying to kill me either.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm not too sure about "bridging" now.
    change is a good thing. live to old age, learn to old age.

I start to emphasis more and more on wrist grabbing. If I can use one of my hands to grab one of my opponent's wrist, I can soon turn a striking game into a grappling game. All I need is just one wrist grip. When my opponent tried to punch me with his free hand, I can use "combing hair" and move in. Since it's to my advantage, I love to use that strategy.
    i find when opponent is losing and turtling, or he is a beginner and very nervous, so his guard is very stiff, you can grab his wrist. but trying to grab a punch leads to black eye.

another important thing is idiots often grab the wrist to attempt a complicated qin na maneuver. you grab the wrist to punch the face.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-13-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i find when opponent is losing and turtling, or he is a beginner and very nervous, so his guard is very stiff, you can grab his wrist. but trying to grab a punch leads to black eye.

another important thing is idiots often grab the wrist to attempt a complicated qin na maneuver. you grab the wrist to punch the face.
    Wow that actually sounds like an observation from someone that has trained and fought some. If so, what style(s)?
    -Golden Arms-