Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Techniques that you have never used

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Purely transitional positions that last less than a tenth of a second as you are starting to kick, knee, leg trap, run in, etc. That's why in Chinese, it is called "step" and not "stance".
    That is an excellent insight.

As to the foot catching, I always felt the side kick is a very difficult kick to catch.
    IMO the easiest kick to catch is a roundhouse, next is a front snap kick. However, if the kick is done well...there no defense...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Since when your opponent uses side kick at you, his body is turning side way. His back hand won't be able to reach you. You only have to deal with his leading arm. When he uses front kick at you, you have to deal with both of his arms.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Since when your opponent uses side kick at you, his body is turning side way. His back hand won't be able to reach you. You only have to deal with his leading arm. When he uses front kick at you, you have to deal with both of his arms.
    That's true, but your also less open for a counter strike. Less open, less opportunity to attack, more open, more opportunity to attack. Always a trade off.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

The problem with getting your sidekick caught is that you essentially have no recourse. If a teep or roundhouse gets caught, your hips can be turned toward the opponent and you can try to clinch the neck etc to maintain balance. Sidekick gets caught and you might as well pull guard because the position of your hips makes it very hard to maintain balance long enough to counter.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    When your opponent catches your side kick, he can move through your "side door" and then into your "back door". That's even worse than let him to enter your front door since none of your hands can reach to your back door.

A simple example is your opponent can uses hip throw (with his back touches your back) to throw you and let your body to flip backward. It's a quite helpless situation.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-19-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Cool

When your opponent catches your side kick, he can move through your "side door" and then into your "back door". That's even worse than let him to enter your front door since none of your hands can reach to your back door.

A simple example is your opponent can uses hip throw (with his back touches your back) to throw you and let your body to flip backward. It's a quite helpless situation.
    Why can't you close the door .?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Head leads the body. Leave the no-look gimmicks to Kempo.
    Backfist to face leads Bruce Lee's backside blind in Enter the Dragon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgCwyHr7Fzs
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 03-19-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Why can't you close the door .?
    Because he's got your foot.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Because he's got your foot.
    When you get your opponent's foot, if you pull his leg into you, you will be able to pull yourself into him by the counter force. If you use your back hand to jam his leading arm elbow, wrap your leading arm around his waist, you can move into his back door smoothly.

Here are some leg catching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4ac8FL-eY
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.

The problem with getting your sidekick caught is that you essentially have no recourse. If a teep or roundhouse gets caught, your hips can be turned toward the opponent and you can try to clinch the neck etc to maintain balance. Sidekick gets caught and you might as well pull guard because the position of your hips makes it very hard to maintain balance long enough to counter.
    Yup. I believe that is why we don't see the sidekick more.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Come to think of it...

...I've never used the kiu sau, except for posing for photos. And I practice every day as the 'shoot the vulture' section of baduanjin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart