Thread: If you could do it all over again...

Hybrid View

If you could do it all over again...

If you could hit a reset button and start your training all over, what would you change?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    If you could hit a reset button and start your training all over, what would you change?
    More orgies with sexy co-eds.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Girls were certainly my downfall....
    Behold. Mighty Ross. His coming was foretold in the Book of BaWang. He will come with a Vengeance on David, Son of Jamie. The Warring Trolls will unite across the Forums of Ching. And the Virgin Warrior, Pure-Hearted Lucas shall be offered up in Sacrifice to appease His Wrath. His Truth will ring in the hearts of the Kickboxers, and They shall be Glorified forevermore. Peace be upon you, Internet Traveler.

Oops, I think that mighty may mean Martial arts training...

to both of you

Cough <bullsh*t> cough cough

I'd stayed with my first teacher for longer when I was a wee lad in elementary. He was a hard core Shorin Ryu guy who liked to fight. I would've started Judo around the same time. I would still have done the kung fu, cuz it's cool - but there was an opportunity to cross train Thai boxing that I didn't take and I should have. Over-all, I've been pretty happy with my MA choices.
    Last edited by MightyB; 03-07-2013 at 12:02 PM.

I'd stayed with my first teacher for longer when I was a wee lad in elementary. He was a hard core Shorin Ryu guy who liked to fight. I would've started Judo around the same time. I probably would still have done the kung fu, cuz it's cool - but there was an opportunity to cross train Thai boxing that I didn't take and I should have. Over-all, I've been pretty happy with my MA choices.
    I don't think I would do anything different.
    I was always practical-oriented and tried my hand at every MA I could get access to.
    When I had access to boxing I did boxing, had access to wrestling and did wrestling, some for Judo and BJJ for example.
    Some arts I seeked out, like BJJ and TKD, others it just made sense to try.
    Sometimes I look back at my time in WC and wonder if it was worth it since it was too "Unnatural" for me BUT every time I use trapping I am thankful for it.
    I can't think of one MA that I would say was a wast of time, except maybe systema but the good thing about exposing yourself to certain questionable systems is that you learn first hand about them.
    Nothing develops your BS meter better than exposure to BS.

I'd definitely start with judo. In fact, when my nephews asked me about kung fu, I actually took them to judo instead. Not that I didn't learn any tumbling in kung fu, its just that we do too much of it 'cause we didn't have any mats.

I've dabbled in many other systems. In fact, I would've stay with my first teacher and still have taken the other systems as a supplement. Mainly judo or GJJ.
    Last edited by Bernard; 03-07-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Behold. Mighty Ross. His coming was foretold in the Book of BaWang. He will come with a Vengeance on David, Son of Jamie. The Warring Trolls will unite across the Forums of Ching. And the Virgin Warrior, Pure-Hearted Lucas shall be offered up in Sacrifice to appease His Wrath. His Truth will ring in the hearts of the Kickboxers, and They shall be Glorified forevermore. Peace be upon you, Internet Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I'd definitely start with judo. In fact, when my nephews asked me about kung fu, I actually took them to judo instead. Not that I didn't learn any tumbling in kung fu, its just that we do too much of it 'cause we didn't have any mats.

I've dabbled in many other systems. In fact, I would've stay with my first teacher and still have taken the other systems as a supplement. Mainly judo or GJJ.
    Judo's got another rule change for the worse... 15second ippons on hold downs - 12second wazari - means ground work is going to go to shiite. No grabbing below the belt at all, even jacket, and the grip shidos they're calling now suck a little arse. Basically they're trying to make it so it's standard grip and go Judo, like the pictures in the books. So Judo's on it's way to dead, no more Ronda Rousey's because there's no need to be good at arm bars or shimewaza if all you have to do is hold a person for 15seconds! Yup, do Sambo if you can, it's a good cross between Judo and BJJ.

I wish I could have started at 13 instead of 43...*sigh*...and now I'm 53.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Start younger goes for me too. Dabbled in MA at a young age, but never got serious until 25...

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    25 is a great age to start. Bones do not fully mature until the age of 25 and you have a good 20 years of training and development ahead of you. Use your head and do not do not take any chances that could get you permanently damaged. To start training as a child is not necessarily healthy for a young, growing body. The cartilage is malleable and a child could develop some unwanted structural anomalies. I never allowed a young person below the age of 15 into my training hall. By that time, they have enough structural development and emotional maturity to handle the brutality of training. Once they entered my training hall, I treated them as adults and they sparred adults. You are in a great place. I wish you all the best in your training career.
    SKM
    Thanks, but I beg to differ. My Shifu started at 9 and I'm never going to catch up with him. at 28 I missed about 6 months because of a hernia, at thirty I missed about 9 (but took up taiji) from plantar fasciitus...I'll never compete full contact now that I can't fight without shoes...I'm glad to be doing gongfu and it's better late than never, but still I'm sure I could have been much better if I'd started earlier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    It's a trade off. When I took my SC team to China. After we had tournament with the Beijin Phisical Education University team. We had a party afterward. In that party, my guys asked them how long do they train. The Beijing PE University students said that they trained 6 day a week and 6 hours a day. One of my guys said, "I wish I can have that much time to train". One Beijing PE University student said, "I wish I have money to travel like your guys have."

In that party, I still remember a young Chinese girl who spoke pretty good English. Later on she won twice in Olympic women water jumping gold metal.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-13-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    take steroids

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I be in my teens or 20's instead of my 40's and I wouldn't be afraid of looking stupid.