Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74

Thread: If you could do it all over again...

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    10,853
    transgender mma...i coulda been the champ.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    2,106
    I'd have done Judo as a kid
    I'd have done Enshin instead of TKD
    I'd have started yoga early on
    I'd have learned WAY more about fitness and conditioning
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Science City Zero
    Posts
    4,763
    Would love to change the first five years; but ATA TKD was literally the only game in town. Did that from 89 to 94, moved over to a TKD/Muay Thai blend, with monthly Machado 'wrestling' (I was a wee tyke, and that's what it looked like. That and the judo my gpa had shown me) thrown in.

    If my first real teacher had been in business when I started ATA, would have moved over five years sooner.

    And more yoga; the instructors in this town are crazyhotflexible.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

    "Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

  4. #49
    I trained Shaolin under an instructor that also taught Tai Chi and Sanshou. My biggest regret in martial arts was training the Tai Chi instead of the Sanshou, during my time with him.

    Other regrets...not fighting 10 years ago..since there were no real opportunities in my region back then...

    Not having the opportunity to train Shuai Jiao...

    Never mastering the back flip, butterfly twist or ariel, (yet, but I'm still hopeful,)....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

    You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    So there is not one single thing you would change about your training? Nothing?
    I can still change what I want to change when I want to now. So there's no regret, no.

    Like I said, it is what it is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    I just found this in another thread. It's so funny. Let me translate it.

    很多人.年纪轻轻二十多岁, 说学的时间不够, 不讲手. 到三+几四十岁又说老了, 又不讲手, 五. 六十岁又花甲了, 不打了,讲口,喷口水,讲武德.

    When you are in your

    - 20, you say, "I havn't trained enough yet. I can't fight you."
    - 30, or 40, you say, "I'm too old to fight you."
    - 50, or 60, you say, "Wude is more important than fighting."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Bondi, Sydney Australia
    Posts
    2,502
    I wish I had a bit more of this and that, like High School wrestling, but generally I lucked out.
    As a young fellah, I trained TKD with American Soldiers, and we played rough. Tournaments were bloody.
    I did several years working it into kickboxing, and playing around with different folks.
    After about 12 years, I hooked up with an old Chinese master who was slow, rigorous and hard core, if you wanted to go there. Fought in the toughest tournament in my life for him.
    He set my foundations before he retired, and shortly thereafter died, and I hooked up with my current Sifu, who the old Sifu sponsored from China, introduced me to, and handed me off to.
    That was 24 years ago. During that time I did a 6 month peek at BJJ, met and exchanged with maybe a dozen peers in different arts, and loved the experience.
    I have no reservations or doubts that I've gotten the best of my art, and it keeps on giving. My only weaknesses are my own inabilities.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,252
    Boxing.... id love to have boxed from the start

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We all wonder if we had married to another girls, our life whould have been happier.
    Really?
    I realized that Lisa was the one for me the moment I stopped wondering about other girls.
    To this day, 15 years later, I still do NOT wonder about other girls.
    Of course I got that out of my system before I met her so that always helps, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Really?
    I realized that Lisa was the one for me the moment I stopped wondering about other girls.
    To this day, 15 years later, I still do NOT wonder about other girls.
    Of course I got that out of my system before I met her so that always helps, LOL !
    and all the pics you post are because.......

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and all the pics you post are because.......
    Women are hot !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and all the pics you post are because.......
    Hey man, just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  13. #58
    nowadays

    there are more safer and better equipments to practice

    --

    matts, pads, shin guard, knee protector, rubber and PCV staff etc

    --

    Learn 10 years boxing

    or learn one day throwing

    the latter may be better

    --


  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    43,533

    Point to s_r

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Women are hot !
    Yeah, argue with that, why don't ya? It's a heckuva lot better than reading more accusations about who has fake Kung Fu...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    36th Chamber
    Posts
    12,419
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Women are hot !
    Yeah?

    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •