Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: About the importance of niem lik

1. Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Why go indirect?

Get direct from TST himself , what is it and his coaching , no need for guessing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_V5-IUw7s0

C'est celui qui dit qui y est.

I went to a close friend of him, and I stopped learning with chinese, I stopped learning new stuff in Wing Chun, I'd rather concentrate on Russian and French stuff.

We French have a long martial history, and the more I discover it, the less I want to travel to find someone selling me nonsense.

in proper learning of Chinese martial art,

First one must be given the process or Kung fatt. Then one practice Acording to the Kung fatt via the coching of the sifu to get result of the development.

There is no such thing as just do it or by dong it. Without Kung fatt.
    Those are just wasting of life. How many has been told to just practice siu nim tau but get no where instead of mimic posture?
    Then , some get creative and create their own version of things, still not what it is. Can get the result as it is intended to develop.

Ie qi is not hypnotis, but if you never go through proper development in the physical, mind, and breathing layers, you will not knowing it or have no good handling of it.

The term long bridge energy is a creative term by some creative person .

In tcma

Long bridge is classify as the arm technic with elbow in stretch.
    Short bridge is classfy as the arm technics with elbow in deep bending .

Long bridge and short bridge is independent of power genertion or visualization.

The existance of slt kuen kuit is to instruct one the process and what exactly Needs to follow to practice slt.

So, the problem today is every one likes to create their own term, not willing to know what it is, not willing to look at it under physics .

Everyone is happy because everyone called each others sifu or laushi or master or guru . But none of us can make the art works as it suppose to.

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    FIRST, One must do.

By DOING, one can really Understand.

"Nothing really becomes real until you felt it" John Keats.

by the way:

« Long Bridge energy is not really a strategy, it’s more a state of awareness of the connexion of the body and the mind, what I think TST calls « niem lik ».

The strategy to discover the long bridge is proper form in the legs, than correct visualisation training, the intention you make in your moves.

For example, in the last saam pai fut in the end of the form, just before the bong sao, if no one says to you that when you go palm up than you do jum sao, you must, not only copy the move, but also visualize a constant forward spiral, you miss the move entirely, and it’s purpose.

Your move will be palm up, and then you will rotate the joints of the forearm to present the edge, you will miss the forward pressure you get when you squeeze the articulations and the muscles in a constant forward spiral, and that without moving an inch.

Some people call it internal work, some call it internal energy.

For me, it’s moving the basic activation of the muscles, being ready in the proper way without movement to be seen from the outside.
    That can only be worked with visualisation because the brain is able to activate specific groups of muscles if trained… Niem lik.

So, when you have long bridge, witch is cultivated everyday in the way you do your form, the most difficult thing is not to turn it on, but to switch it of, it becomes a habit, it becomes part of how you move.

Than over that, you can apply any strategy you like.

For your last question, when you work the long bridge, the tansition from the short to the long distance must be felt, from your sensations, and from the guy who test it by touching you point of view, continuous. »

And an article about the long Bridge.

Niem lik is about dealin with your opponent force AND force generation using visualisation, mind set and the knowledge of bones, articulation, muscle physiology, fascias...

artcile in english and french :

http://poulperadieux.com/2012/06/03/...ng-the-bridge/

3. Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    in proper learning of Chinese martial art,
    For you Jimmy, for you !

Stay Humble, isn't Humility an asian sorta stuff?

First one must be given the process or Kung fatt. Then one practice Acording to the Kung fatt via the coching of the sifu to get result of the development.
    Kung Fat... Don't like this, I try to get abs you know !

There is no such thing as just do it or by dong it. Without Kung fatt.

Masta Yoda Says otherwise :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No

It's ancient wisdow from a galaxy far far away.

The term long bridge energy is a creative term by some creative person .
    Is a term that is used in a a lot of martial arts and not only wing chun, so who created it? Dunno, you?

Long bridge is classify as the arm technic with elbow in stretch.
    Short bridge is classfy as the arm technics with elbow in deep bending .

Long bridge and short bridge is independent of power genertion or visualization.
    ****, what do they teach you in school?

The existance of slt kuen kuit is to instruct one the process and what exactly Needs to follow to practice slt.
    Are words, the better teacher is the feeling.

So, the problem today is every one likes to create their own term, not willing to know what it is, not willing to look at it under physics .
    Jimmy, you should stop talking physics you know...
    Others do better than you, ask questions, stop teaching !

Everyone is happy because everyone called each others sifu or laushi or master or guru . But none of us can make the art works as it suppose to.

Students call me Poulpy

Girls call me : "Mon Chéri"

He calls me : "The silk specter"

Stay Humble, isn't Humility an asian sorta stuff? --------

Got nothing to do with humble. Facts of the Chinese tcma tradition is such.

Kung Fat... Don't like this, I try to get abs you know ! -------

That is your issue, you want to learn tcma, that is the culture.
    It is a cheating if I don't tell you the truth of the culture.

I am ok if anyone create thier own style as Bruce lee. But, when it comes to classical tcma, stick with the facts is the way to go.

Ie. TST put his Niem Lik in YouTube makes it transparent what he means. So, no need to guess or get creative. Just stick with what he means. That makes life simple.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    This is really, really interesting. My experience with many skilled internal masters is that, my senses are being fooled. In one occasion, where my student was videoing me being pushed down by GM Wei (IYTC), what I felt my posture was, was indeed completely different from the videoed image.
    The key to understanding these types of phenomena are repeated exposure to the action. With time and observation your perceptions become attuned to what is happening and then you will understand what is happening more completely.

On the other thread when you posted your vid of unseating your student, a knowing eye can discern where the break in his balance occurred that allowed you to unbalance him. While it is easier to see, in a vid, than feel the first time it occurs, with practice your student should be able to perceive exactly what is occurring and respond to neutral your action.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    If one cannot describe the process to make it happen, then one don't know it and cannot reproduce it.
    Unfortunately, the ability to describe what is happening is not the same thing as being able to do it.

Not many high caliber athletes understand the finer aspects of how they do what they do. They just follow their coaches and practice over and over again. Eventually, they get the 'feel' for what is correct. Then they no longer require an outside eye. They can tell by feel how their performance is.

Coaches, on the other hand often can describe how something is supposed to be performed, but are unable to do so themself. I refer you to Bella Karoli. He has taught many Olympic champions, yet he has never been an expert in performing on the balance beam, the uneven parallel bars, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The key to understanding these types of phenomena are repeated exposure to the action. With time and observation your perceptions become attuned to what is happening and then you will understand what is happening more completely.

On the other thread when you posted your vid of unseating your student, a knowing eye can discern where the break in his balance occurred that allowed you to unbalance him. While it is easier to see, in a vid, than feel the first time it occurs, with practice your student should be able to perceive exactly what is occurring and respond to neutral your action.
    I've been thrown repeated enough to know what's going on. When the issuer is skilful enough, you still get fooled.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    I've been thrown repeated enough to know what's going on. When the issuer is skilful enough, you still get fooled.
    I didn't mean to imply you couldn't be fooled, only that repeated exposure will allow it to be less likely to occur. Although, that is presuming one has a reasonably equal skill level as the thrower. The greater the discrepancy in skill the less likely one can counter of course.

BTW, I did not make it clear in my original post, my comment was more general to the audience rather than to you in particular.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 03-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.

8. [QUOTE=Hendrik;121
    Ie. TST put his Niem Lik in YouTube makes it transparent what he means.
    [/QUOTE]

You learn too wuch things for certain by youtube, get out a little, meet people...

So, no need to guess or get creative. Just stick with what he means. That makes life simple.
    Sorry, French here, need creativity...
    Stick to an idea and put aside creativity seems too religious for me, I leave that way of thinking to you...

I just stick in Chi Sao.

And I actually met someone who teaches Niem Lik, unlike you I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I didn't mean to imply you couldn't be fooled, only that repeated exposure will allow it to be less likely to occur. Although, that is presuming one has a reasonably equal skill level as the thrower. The greater the discrepancy in skill the less likely one can counter of course.

BTW, I did not make it clear in my original post, my comment was more general to the audience rather than to you in particular.
    Agree. And understood.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Another interesting paper on developing power through the mind. Related to Nim Lik as well? May be yes, may be no?

http://lecerveau.mcgill.ca/flash/cap...g_strength.pdf

And hey, this one is SCIENTIFIC and supported with DATA, Glenn!
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post

We French have a long martial history, and the more I discover it, the less I want to travel to find someone selling me nonsense.
    What happened to the martial history of the French from 1890 to 1945?

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    What happened to the martial history of the French from 1890 to 1945?

Bwahhahahah..... they got into running

14. Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Another interesting paper on developing power through the mind. Related to Nim Lik as well? May be yes, may be no?

http://lecerveau.mcgill.ca/flash/cap...g_strength.pdf

And hey, this one is SCIENTIFIC and supported with DATA, Glenn!

Nice catch

Yes, yes, yes, machines, labs, physics etc. But he's not doing your interpretation of snake engine. Got NOTHING to do with you. Whether his "engine" works or not got NOTHING to do with whether your engine works or not. If you want to support your theories with data the "scientific" way then use yourself/your engine as test subject, not someone else's on a youtube clip that's not your.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"