Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: About the importance of niem lik

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Hmmmm, How about sorry pal read the above post by tgy!

I doubt many would argue against practice makes perfect, but in the above test it is pretty clear that 24% improvement from people not trained according to your standards is pretty significant, don't you think?
    What makes you think the individuals in the study weren't trained in how to visualise? Do you seriously think that people trying to conduct a meaningful comparison decided to just say to the subjects just close your eyes and imagine yourself doing it, see you later. Having read several such studies the subjects are invariably coached in visualisation techniques and supported through the process of what is typically a visualisation of a relatively simple action. The results are almost always startling and demonstrate the power of the mind, but it is naieve to believe that you can get results simply and is what leads to so many people being dismissive of the subject when they try and fail to replicate the results.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Most of the popular references I've read on the subject indicate that visualisation for performance enhancement is very much a learned skill, arguably requiring at least as much discipline and investment of time as a course of meditation, in fact some argue that mindfulness meditation is an integral part of a successful sports psychology regime.

Not to diss the studies - I respect science, rather more I think than Hendrik and his sycophants - but like many things, the results you achieve are proportional to the work you put in.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    No, im a martial arsist

Now, i guess robinhood will jump in with some nonsense as well now
    I don't think you are a martial arsist.

Hendrik and the 'hood, now they're different stories
    Last edited by anerlich; 03-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post

Well picked up........... though im thinking i dont mind the term

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Hendrik (and perhaps Robinhood too), do you know what's happening there?
    Have you experienced it first hand, explained to you first hand, taught by masters first hand, and be able to do it under the same circumstances? (My answer is YES to all of the above).

Or are you theorizing from your literary research?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post

I am also an arsist, amongst other things.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Have you experienced it first hand, explained to you first hand, taught by masters first hand, and be able to do it under the same circumstances? (My answer is YES to all of the above).

Ya, not much, real.

Here is clip of a reporter that wondered why everyone was jumping around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFq-tuOAfW8

I heard that she was disassociated for her actions.

same thing as here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmVfHZgHMUk
    Last edited by hunt1; 03-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Ya, not much, real.

Here is clip of a reporter that wondered why everyone was jumping around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFq-tuOAfW8

I heard that she was disassociated for her actions.
    You see, a lot of "Internal" or "Qi" demonstrations are based on controlling the subject's COG, as well as utilising his reactions. This woman could do all these weird and wonderful things on her students ONLY because they know how to work with her to give her their COG and feed her the right reactions.

Since these methods would NOT work unless you have profound control of the COG; when dealing with an opponent or an untrained participant (as in the reporter), you will NEVER produce the kind of bouncing or jumping as with the students. In this woman's case, she is foolish to think that she can produce the same effect on the reporter. She had probably NEVER crossed hands with an unco-operative opponent.

The easy part is bouncing the student; the real skill is in the capturing of the COG of a live opponent.

In the hands of an internal expert who has real fighting experience, it is done on an instant. Again, it would rarely be as spectacular as demonstrations.

Hendrik often use these type of videos to support his arguments, but because he had never been on the receiving end of these type of things, he doesn't really know what exactly is going on.

There is not magic in the real world.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    EXACTLY my point. OK, the first clip is a bit of a joke, but Hendrik would use some of the "Internal Masters" clip to support his argument on snake engine, when he doesn't even know what is going on.

That's what I ALWAYS said, you wont know you are living a fantasy unless you test it, and test it, and test it more. Just feeling good about the way you flap your arms does not mean that it works in real life.

And the second clip, Derren Brown (a total genius) had most probably done some work on the guy prior to the demonstration. He often admits that he is a liar (all part of his skills to confuse the subject), but he is honest about his lying. ;-)
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Blog Entries
    Someone made the following statement in another forum and I think he has the right idea.

"I think empty force 靈空勁 (LKJ) only works when there is a sender and a receiver, without a receiver, it is empty 不靈了."

Since not everybody can be your "receiver", it has no combat value at all.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0714IbwC3HA

EXACTLY my point. OK, the first clip is a bit of a joke, but Hendrik would use some of the "Internal Masters" clip to support his argument on snake engine, when he doesn't even know what is going on.

That's what I ALWAYS said, you wont know you are living a fantasy unless you test it, and test it, and test it more. Just feeling good about the way you flap your arms does not mean that it works in real life.

And the second clip, Derren Brown (a total genius) had most probably done some work on the guy prior to the demonstration. He often admits that he is a liar (all part of his skills to confuse the subject), but he is honest about his lying. ;-)
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-15-2013 at 12:15 AM.

13. Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

What derren brown does, I tried it on 10 wrestlers on night soon after I learned Hypnosis, I worked like a charm with little preparation, and it was funny to see some fall after receiving a mimicked Kaméhaméha.

Here I explain a bit how it's done :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBVnqHud7Jo

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Someone made the following statement in another forum and I think he has the right idea.

"I think empty force 靈空勁 (LKJ) only works when there is a sender and a receiver, without a receiver, it is empty 不靈了."

Since not everybody can be your "receiver", it has no combat value at all.
    Haha, I like that.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"