Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: posture in SLT development

All the "engine" talk has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's just a concept, mental model. It means nothing in a fight. The only part that makes any difference at all is how you've drilled your fundamentals to react.

WCK people get too caught up in the cerebral, the conceptual as the art is based upon concepts.

That's why they get their ears boxed by a boxer who has no knowledge of "engines" but has a disciplined regimen of bag work, pad work, foot work and sparring.

When you are in a fight you don't have time for "gentlemen start your engines". You have to fight. Now.

Blog Entries
    Allow me to ask another stupid question here.

Can you develop your "engine" by using a heavy bag instead? From the discussion that I have seen so far, the "engine" is used for "striking" purpose (I assume you don't need your "engine" for health, performance, self-cultivation, and inner peace). Instead of to strike into the thin air, will it make more sense to strike on a heavy bag instead?

If to throw a non-existed opponent cannot help you to develop your throwing skill, how can to punch a non-existed opponent will be able help you to develop your "engine"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-14-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    All the "engine" talk has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's just a concept, mental model. It means nothing in a fight. The only part that makes any difference at all is how you've drilled your fundamentals to react.

WCK people get too caught up in the cerebral, the conceptual as the art is based upon concepts.

That's why they get their ears boxed by a boxer who has no knowledge of "engines" but has a disciplined regimen of bag work, pad work, foot work and sparring.

When you are in a fight you don't have time for "gentlemen start your engines". You have to fight. Now.
    Ill agree with you to a point, but a well trained boxer does have an "engine", so to speak, he just doesnt call it that.

Weight transfer, body rotation, posture, elbow placement, leg drive ..... all trained and all add up to improving his "engine".

And these are trained (as well as other things) whilst doing all the things you mentioned...."disciplined regimen of bag work, pad work, foot work and sparring"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Can you develop your "engine" by using a heavy bag instead? From the discussion that I have seen so far, the "engine" is used for "striking" purpose (I assume you don't need your "engine" for health, performance, self-cultivation, and inner peace). Instead of to strike into the thin air, will it make more sense to strike on a heavy bag instead?

If to throw a non-existed opponent cannot help you to develop your throwing skill, how can to punch a non-existed opponent will be able help you to develop your "engine"?
    Do you crash your car into wall to start its engine .

Does car crashing into wall improve motor.

Does crashing car into wall make you good driver.

Well you need both, and id add mitt work, mirror work and floor-ceiling ball (in boxing).

Personally, i dont do my heaviest work on a heavy bag, i do it on the focus mitts (except maybe body rips) as i find i work my combinations smoother and quicker on the pads than on the bag. This adds to my power

But..... if im a bit off, not happy with what im doing, its of to the mirror and do it in thin air.... watching my technique, posture, balance and so forth.

Then i go back and do it again

Im not a grappler, but surely there is foot work / posture you can train alone?

Yes, but I agree with Glenn you need a balance, it's also worth mentioning that this is also what the dummy (muk jong) is for.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Dave View Post
    Yes, but I agree with Glenn you need a balance, it's also worth mentioning that this is also what the dummy (muk jong) is for.

Dave
    Spot on Dave, people think of the dummy and heavy bag in the same way..... Bang away as hard as you can.

Maybe on the odd occasion, but there's more to both devices than that

Yes... and no.

The force generation part, heavy bags, heavy weapons etc. is useful to train and test your structures.

However, when interacting with a living opponent, we also capitalise on his response, and the way he acts and reacts. Our structure and mental projection needs to be trained to deal with and utilize this. Otherwise, weight lifters will be the best fighters and we don't need to spar or have training partners (wait, some people don't! )

And I do believe throwing a non-existed opponent CAN help you develop throwing skills.... the same way mentally practicing the piano when you are sitting on a bus. But it needs to be tested consistantly by doing it with a real person to make sure you are on the right track, and not just fooling yourself.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    And I do believe throwing a non-existed opponent CAN help you develop throwing skills....
    Ivan Ivanov agrees:

http://www.suples.com/speed-dummy/

Lol, YA, some people will buy just just about anything, ( gullible )

11. This tool increase drastically your one inch skillzz and your ability to masturbate.

http://www.fevrierdorian.com/blog/pu.../powerball.jpg

Maybe they come with instruction for making holes in them.

13. Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    maybe they come with instruction for making holes in them.
    :d:d:d:d:d

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    :d:d:d:d:d
    you two seem to be in the process of getting a room and bringing your favorite blow-up dolls.

don't let my proof of an Olympic wrestling coach designing thowing dummies to augment training as proof you can drill to obtain grappling skill without a training partner get in you two's way.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    you two seem to be in the process of getting a room and bringing your favorite blow-up dolls.

don't let my proof of an Olympic wrestling coach designing thowing dummies to augment training as proof you can drill to obtain grappling skill without a training partner get in you two's way.

Olympic? Dolls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5unkx9liEuo