Thread: Questions on Chi

Questions on Chi

My experience is primarily in the external arts and I have some questions for the internal guys, about the common theories of chi.

First of all, let me say that I believe in the existence of chi, at least as an energy/life force. I am not convinced in all of the classical Chinese notions, however, I would like to hear the opinions.

So where did the knowledge of meridians and acupuncture points come from? Was there anything remotely scientific in the process of mapping the points and channels? Was this entirely handed down from "the Ancients?" Has there been any significant changes to the points/theories in the past several centuries?

I am extremely skeptical of Dian Xue fighting skills, but I try to stay open minded. Supposedly strikes at certain points are more or less lethal depending on flow of chi, which varies by the time of day, season, ect.

So what happens if I get on a plane and fly to the other side of the world? If I'm in a different time zone and different season, does my chi stay the same, or automatically adjust? If the chi is in circulation, why is the bulk of it ever in any given point? Why does it stagnate? Who came up with the triple warmers? Is there any information about the origins of these ideas?

I've yet to see any convincing data that any sort of "death touch" is real, based on striking these points...now healing with acupuncture is a different story, but is there anyone who has ever really attempted to prove any of the the wilder martial claims?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Thanks for the post TGY; and for correcting my antiquated Romanization.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    just remember, I am a clueless modern dancer with no internal deveopment at all, so anything I post in regards to "qi" must clearly be false...
    I pay no heed to the petty squabbles that take place on the WC forum. I'm no expert on internal, but I know the goings on there are bad for my qi flow.

Thanks SKM..that's pretty interesting stuff on Oetzi...I was unaware of him.

Qi was pretty much a catch-all term for unexplainable phenomena.

When in doubt it was Qi that caused it!

As an example, when men got older, they noticed they had difficulty getting it up and keeping it up!

They didn't know about human physiology or hormones. They didn't know about testosterone or that it diminishes in quantity as men get older. So, its Qi's fault and they called it a loss of vital essence. But all it was, was a reduction in production of testosterone.

When some people get too excited about the wisdom of the ancients I remind them how Taoists killed Emperor Huang with their mercury pills of everlasting life.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 03-10-2013 at 07:46 PM.

If you go to a bunch of western TMA schools, you'll probably hear most of them talk about qi; and it will be obvious that most have some idea, but probably not a very thorough understanding of their own theories. Hence the generalizations, energy, adrenaline, "life force."

I do think there is something to the concept of qi, but I'm baffled by the complexity of the points, channels, ect. One would think there must have been some sort of research and testing to arrive at such a system, followed by so many for thousands of years. It's hard to believe a healing/killing system that complex was just theorized. Although certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

At any rate, I've yet to have read or heard an explanations as to the origin of the mapping of acupuncture points. Perhaps the books SKM suggested will have some detail on it....something else to research.

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    Hi Kellen. The book, Celestial Lancets has some detail of the origins of points and who developed them. Also, has an explanation of the triple warmer theory. I immediately thought of that book when reading your questions. It is not an easy read but if you can wade through it, you might find some answers. I highly recommend that if you plan to buy any of these books, you buy The Stone Monkey First. It is out of print and Amazon sells them as they find them. The frequently run out of them. They have a new batch right now. All the best.
    SKM
    Thanks, I'll probably start with one, as I tend to get backed up with my reading anyway. I appreciate the feedback!

Needhams scholarship on Chinese history-specially ancienet science and medicine is classic.

A good place to begin is by distinguishing between Qi (as a concept in and of itself) and practices that involve Qi.

From what i have found, the term "qi" appears in writing about 300-500 B.C. Whether it existed as a notion in some other word is hard to say. Also, the earliest mentions and descriptions of qi seem to have been geared to describe phenomena that involve the interaction between man (the microcosm) and his environment (the macrocosm) in some way or other.

Acupuncture is a cluster-**** in terms of history. Chinese Acupuncture as we know it today is dated to around 200 BC (the Yellow Emperor) but the mummified body of a 5,000 year old European human possesses a series of tattoos believed to be related to pain-relief systems similar to acupuncture. There is, in fact, evidence that crude non-metal needles were used in the bronze age for medicinal purposes but no conclusive evidence tying them to meridians or any other type of unseen system like them. In other words, who knows.

Whatever qi is (or is a result of), it is best understood through years of mindful practice. No matter what someone tells you qi is, the stuff itself will always be able to tell you more.