Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Conspiracy Theories

To take a quote from The Mist:

"Amanda Dunfrey: I can't accept that. People are basically good; decent. My god, David, we're a civilized society.

David Drayton: Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the **** out of them - no more rules. "

Being someone who has been to the ****tiest places on the planet, I have to agree with this...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    To take a quote from The Mist:

"Amanda Dunfrey: I can't accept that. People are basically good; decent. My god, David, we're a civilized society.

David Drayton: Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the **** out of them - no more rules. "

Being someone who has been to the ****tiest places on the planet, I have to agree with this...
    Do you think this is true of Canada? the USA? Western Europe? Australia? Other countries that have built up rule of law and a social conduct standard that makes cohabitation not only possible but pleasant?

I can see how you would hold to that if you are finding yourself in places where there is little in the way of basic education, infrastructure is wanting, governance is corrupt and the cycle is not broken.

But for the most part, people are moving away from the kind of world you describe. It is being done away with slowly but surely. Even historically back tracking it is plain to see that society has made incredible developmental leaps in the last 100 years alone.

So yeah, needlessly subject someone to harsh conditions and they will become harsh. But build a world that doesn't want or need that thinking, and I don't believe that concept you have up there will mete out as much. Another 100 years and we should be beyond the need for war and probably a different construct around economies too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

We mos def live in interesting times, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. Especially in the US. I hope it doesn't completely spill over to us. We'll see I guess. With all the civil rights abuses, the political vitriol, things like interest rates on tuition doubling in july, teaching creationism alongside real science as a valid alternative to reality... It's not a good look. Look at any other country where the rich and the poor are so far apart and tell me what you see.

Technology can be a saving grace, it can also be our downfall. Our collective maturity doesn't seem to be anywhere near being able to deal with the speed of our tech advances. That's cool that you are optimistic, we need that for sure, but let's be real too. I am hopeful for the future, but I'm not going to ignore this very obvious trend and all the history behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Do you think this is true of Canada? the USA? Western Europe? Australia? Other countries that have built up rule of law and a social conduct standard that makes cohabitation not only possible but pleasant?

I can see how you would hold to that if you are finding yourself in places where there is little in the way of basic education, infrastructure is wanting, governance is corrupt and the cycle is not broken.

But for the most part, people are moving away from the kind of world you describe. It is being done away with slowly but surely. Even historically back tracking it is plain to see that society has made incredible developmental leaps in the last 100 years alone.

So yeah, needlessly subject someone to harsh conditions and they will become harsh. But build a world that doesn't want or need that thinking, and I don't believe that concept you have up there will mete out as much. Another 100 years and we should be beyond the need for war and probably a different construct around economies too.
    Read any news article on the Castro abduction incident in Ohio. Peruse the comments section. There's your society. Given that most of these sites have an international audience, you tell me what our blessed species of bipeds wants. It isn't justice the way you described it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I don't believe human kind will ever stop making war. My country has been 'at war' pretty much my entire life. I don't see us stopping any time soon.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I don't believe human kind will ever stop making war. My country has been 'at war' pretty much my entire life. I don't see us stopping any time soon.
    If your country is America, it's been at war for most of It's life as a country!
    There has been some sort of war or military action underway since America became America.

It's quite interesting to follow the events time line:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...ary_operations
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Now THAT is a list!!!

My country is the United States of America. We like to make war.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.