Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Countering the hook punch

Countering the hook punch

Here are the three proven methods for countering hook punches. Two are shown in the first clip and one is shown in the second clip. You can see ample evidence for these three techniques being used in real time in numerous boxing, Muay Thai, and MMA matches.

Striking

Grappling

A Wing Chun way

Start 9.30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3hLnXD8SlA

Watch out for the body has to be able to take the bounce or recoil otherwise one will disintegrate. It is not just as simple as hitting center....with technic etc. That is dealing with momentum and not living in a momentum vacuum world.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-28-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    A Wing Chun way

Start 9.30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3hLnXD8SlA

Watch out for the body has to be able to take the bounce or recoil otherwise one will disintegrate. It is not just as simple as hitting center....with technic etc. That is dealing with momentum and not living in a momentum vacuum world.
    That way will get you KTFO with the other side hook.

There's a reason you won't see that being done by people who are actually going full-force in real time.

The difference is that the first two clips are dealing with countering how a hook is actually done by someone with some skill and the WC clip is showing how to counter a "hay maker".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    That way will get you KTFO with the other side hook.

There's a reason you won't see that being done by people who are actually going full-force in real time.

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The difference is that the first two clips are dealing with countering how a hook is actually done by someone with some skill and the WC clip is showing how to counter a "hay maker".
    Haymaker or not, it's generally not a good idea to stop a punch by committing both of your arms to one side of the opponent's body. At 9:43, there is the perfect set up to get KTFO with the left hand.

No matter which one, it is a matter of how to handling the body. If the body cannot take the impact at the contact. the story end there disregard of which one.

Haymaker or not, it's generally not a good idea to stop a punch by committing both of your arms to one side of the opponent's body. At 9:43, there is the perfect set up to get KTFO with the left hand.
    1. It is capturing the center, not one side. As in 10.1

2.Your grappling utube above is using the same type of concept with variation.

No argument there.

No matter which one, it is a matter of how to handling the body. If the body cannot take the impact at the contact. the story end there disregard of which one.
    It matters a great deal because a proper hook would NOT be stopped like that at all.

1. It is capturing the center, not one side. As in 10.1

2.Your grappling utube above is using the same type of concept with variation.
    I think you need to re-watch the grappling video.

It matters a great deal because a proper hook would NOT be stopped like that at all.
    Totally agree.

It is like a colision car, one can't stop it as momentum is vacuumed . As some wcner believe the closer path is a straight line between two points, but totally living in momentum vacuum.

I think you need to re-watch the grappling video.
    IMO,

Take a look at 0.08. Instead of one arm striking to the center, he push on the other shoulder side.

Same thing, the assumption is one can take the incoming momentum. Otherwise it will not work. So, IMHO, all these technics are just technics . They are all condition technics. Not unconditional technics . A smaller guy will have problem to execute it in general.

IMO,

Take a look at 0.08. Instead of one arm striking to the center, he push on the other shoulder side.
    Yes, exactly

Same thing, the assumption is one can take the incoming momentum. Otherwise it will not work. So, IMHO, all these technics are just technics . They are all condition technics. Not unconditional technics . A smaller guy will have problem to execute it in general.
    No, not the same thing. Not even close. Going to the opposite side is completely different and is the key differentiator between something that will work and something that will get you KTFO.

Lets not forget a vt punch in the face as a counter.