Thread: Oddly enough... I like the modern Chinese approach.

Oddly enough... I like the modern Chinese approach.

I think the Chinese are on the right path with their national heritage. I know it had a rocky and controversial beginning, and I know there's still some controversy in their approach - but breaking down and systemizing Chinese Martial Arts is a good thing IMO. Preserving and teaching Talou, creating performance talou, and then dividing off San Shou, San Da, Qigong, and internal - it makes sense to me.

It seems they're taking a whole-istic approach and treating all as one Chinese Martial Art. Forms are being preserved and shared, and a new branch has been developed that's devoted to fighting in a modern context.

I like it.

I originally hated the idea. I felt like it was watering down the arts. But now I agree with you.

If you got a bunch of people who just want to do forms, it makes it hard to train sanshou. The SS guys get bored, the dancers get scared; no-one gets what they want and people quit. Perhaps it is better for a school to focus on one aspect, or to teach form and fighting in separate classes. Then people can do one or both. Get what they want.

I'm over the "fracturing" of the art thing. I've come to realize, very, very few people study "complete KF," if there is such a thing. My idea of the complete art was the form, fighting and internal. Or as you said, wushu, sanshou and qi gong.
    Eventually I realized I don't practice Mandarin, Buddhism, Lion Dance, traditional Chinese Medicine, "Chan cuisine," Iron Crotch, Calligraphy, ect. ect.

It's nearly impossible for the average westerner to train every aspect that we now attribute to Kung Fu. It would require a complete embracing of the Chinese culture and the forgoing of your own. Most of us either just wanted to learn to fight, or look cool. Or both.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post

It's nearly impossible for the average westerner to train every aspect that we now attribute to Kung Fu. It would require a complete embracing of the Chinese culture and the forgoing of your own. Most of us either just wanted to learn to fight, or look cool. Or both.
    its about respecting and not making a mockery over a cultural hobby.

i also like nigerian boxing and wrestling, and persian and indian wrestling.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    its about respecting and not making a mockery over a cultural hobby.

i also like nigerian boxing and wrestling, and persian and indian wrestling.
    Let's not forget the wonders of Canadian Painting and Feral Masturbation.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's always been like a Chinese banquet...

...there are courses for beef, pork, chicken, fish, sea cucumber, vegetables...soup and rice too, plus desert. There's a little of everything. That being said, there's nothing like a good restaurant that specializes in Mongolian hot pot.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...there are courses for beef, pork, chicken, fish, sea cucumber, vegetables...soup and rice too, plus desert. There's a little of everything. That being said, there's nothing like a good restaurant that specializes in Mongolian hot pot.
    I like this analogy.

I think as long as people put some intent behind what they're doing and genuinely test themselves through some type or freestyle exercise - they'll be ok. Then they are free to choose what's suitable for themselves, at their current stage of life.