Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gripping the Jian

Gripping the Jian

I've heard conflicting info about gripping the jian.

Some say to grip tightly with the thumb and index finger and loosely with the remaining fingers,

some say to grip loosely with the index and middle fingers and tightly with ring and pinky.

Which is correct?

Is this a euphemism?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Is this a euphemism?
    LOL, no I'm being serious.

I've been like a ronin doing things my own way for like 10 years and may have developed some bad habits I'm looking to correct.

Sword is to keep the hand relaxed with index finger touching thumb but not pressing hard or tightly. Touching.

The other fingers are relaxed but ready to retain or command the sword at the slightest motion or touch.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Sword is to keep the hand relaxed with index finger touching thumb but not pressing hard or tightly. Touching.

The other fingers are relaxed but ready to retain or command the sword at the slightest motion or touch.
    Thanks. I haven't practiced Jian in quite a long time and it's amazing how fast you forget the little things. I'm looking to start back up with it - so starting with day 1 tonight, there should only be 9999 before I get the basics down.

first you must learn to braid the dan dao

then to put pork on the altar

only then can you learn to grip the jian
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Only on this forum did I know I wud find these posts just by reading the title of the thread, lol
    did you now?

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Thanks. I haven't practiced Jian in quite a long time and it's amazing how fast you forget the little things. I'm looking to start back up with it - so starting with day 1 tonight, there should only be 9999 before I get the basics down.
    Well, asides from forms, there are main guiding principles to a sword.

With a double edge it tends to stick to four paths/principles and they are:

1) Thrust (think push)
    2) Draw (think slicing across action)
    3) Flip (think clock hand moving)
    4) Rotate (think turn the wrist like a screwdriver)

Then there are ranges and levels(height, not guru/student etc)of application of these.
    Also, there are some more refined moves like Tapping and lifting.

Tapping is the overhand of sword work. Whereby you tap the closet target (generally the other swordsman's wrists) with your longest reach.

Lifting is doing a similar motion but from below. There are other refinements beyond these as well, but those are the "big" basics.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 03-12-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Smack it up, flip it, rub it down, oh, no

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Smack it up, flip it, rub it down, oh, no
    Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I've heard conflicting info about gripping the jian.

Some say to grip tightly with the thumb and index finger and loosely with the remaining fingers,

some say to grip loosely with the index and middle fingers and tightly with ring and pinky.

Which is correct?
    have u sparred wit it

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    have u sparred wit it
    not yet - I have to relearn the basics and then I'm looking to pick up a pair of those polypropylene swords that have come out recently so I can spar. I figure at least one of my old kung fu buddies will be up to the challenge when I move back to my hometown next month.

especially if I buy the equipment

I'm thinking about taking my shirt off when I practice so I can post a pic in the sword hotties thread.

u need to get a wooden post and smack it with a stick. its basic training.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    u need to get a wooden post and smack it with a stick. its basic training.
    Oh, please don't go there.

Medial side flexion allows for rolling the wrist and slicing as well as ci. Ulnar side flexion allows you to accelerate the point for pek and "dotting."

Hitting the post isn't such a bad idea after all. Even if it isn't jian technique it conditions the hand and wrist for a good grip.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity