Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gripping the Jian

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    not yet - I have to relearn the basics and then I'm looking to pick up a pair of those polypropylene swords that have come out recently so I can spar. I figure at least one of my old kung fu buddies will be up to the challenge when I move back to my hometown next month.

especially if I buy the equipment
    Have you tried these yet? I really like them. They are a little more slippery than steel but have a good balance and weight. And worth the price. After about three years I still haven't broken one.

btw I see jian training as valuable for developing qualities other than combat training. The methods were developed in the last few centuries for this new lightweight implement and aren't based on combat skills. It does represent good kungfu, though.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Scaramouche is a great film

The Contact-Guard Grip - Strong Support for the Tai Chi Sword by Robert Dreeben, with photos by Amada Alcantara
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post

Hitting the post isn't such a bad idea after all.
    hitting the post is basic training

stabbing is hard to be accurate, if you dont train you get wobbly wrist
    Last edited by bawang; 03-12-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I like to hold firm with my pinky and ring finger, but not so tight as to fatigue, my middle finger is wrapped but not pressed as firmly and my index and thumb are light, but wrapped. this is pretty much how i hold any weapon. of course this is just a standard in guard grip, really depends on what you're doing your grips change regularly. you'll tighten and loosen as appropriate. this is just what ive found works for me, i dont really care what other people do.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Gripping firmly with the ring and little finger and loosely with the index and middle finger is the traditional manner of gripping a katana!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Scaramouche was the first "sword" movie I ever saw and made such a strong impression on me; well, at least the fencing parts - there may have been some dialogue/other scenes/plot, but I'm not sure
    What is this movie?

Internet, please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Gripping firmly with the ring and little finger and loosely with the index and middle finger is the traditional manner of gripping a katana!
    shut up asswipe.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    shut up asswipe.

You're dead! You're not allowed to make rude comments from beyond the veil!
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

It's a term of endearment where I come from, I swear!!! The unliving have a very different value system!

It's a term of endearment where I come from, I swear!!! The unliving have a very different value system!
    Okay, I'll accept that. Most of the draugar I've met seem pretty decent types.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    What is this movie?

Internet, please advise.
    Kids these days!!

shut up asswipe.

Your jealousy of my clean a$$ is showing!

Or did you mean A$$ swipe! That is just a weekend hobby!

Just don't mess with my treasure or I'll curse you.

Scaramouche is one of the greatest fencing movies ever

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    What is this movie?

Internet, please advise.
    Choreographed by Fred Cavens, a noted fencing master of the day. He did a lot of the classic swashbucklers from the '50s, Zorro, Three Musketeers, Cyrano, and of course, the Errol Flynn classic, Captain Blood.

Scaramouche trailer
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In my understanding you grip it in a manner similar to holding a pistol with the handle 45 degrees across the palm and the index coming up onto the guard (like a trigger finger). Jian is never to be held like a bat and the grip is obviously different to the dao. The pressure/grip tightness across the hand changes with various techniques, as does the finger and thumb position – for example on some stabbing moves the thumb presses forward onto the guard. Generally the fulcrum is between the ‘tiger’s mouth’ and the inside edge of the ring finger and the main controlling fingers are the index, ring and thumb, followed by the pinky. The 2nd last finger always sits on the handle and is the lower lever, especially in movements such as dian where the pinky comes into play and is usually only relaxed in movements such as beng. The palm heel is also a controller.

BT

flexibility is the key.

there are several ways to hold the jian.

not one way above all the other ways.

when you ci (pierce)

when you yun (cloud)

when you chan (entangle)

when you jiao (twist)

---

you hold your jian differently.