Thread: Kick-Ass 2

Kick-Ass 2

MTV has the red band trailer.

For archival purposes, here is our previous thread on Kick-Ass (part 1)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Aw Jim

I am replaying that scene from Me, Myself and Irene where Carrey gets attacked by a nunchuk-wielding midget.
    Jim Carrey gives the boot to 'Kick-Ass 2'

Jim Carrey in "Kick-Ass 2." The actor says he is now uncomfortable with the film's violence. (Daniel Smith/Universal Pictures)

By John Horn
    June 24, 2013, 9:55 a.m.

Don’t look for Jim Carrey to promote his “Kick-Ass 2.”

The “Bruce Almighty” star has taken to Twitter to distance himself from Aug. 16’s sequel because Carrey said that he “cannot support that level of violence” in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, in which 20 children and six educators were slain last December.

"I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart,” Carrey said of “Kick-Ass 2” through his official Twitter account.

Carrey’s backpedaling — the actor said he filmed his “Kick-Ass” role of Col. Stars and Stripes a month before the school shooting — prompted an irritated and lengthy online rejoinder from Mark Millar, the writer of the “Kick-Ass” comic books and an executive producer on the Universal Studios sequel.

“As you may know, Jim is a passionate advocate of gun-control and I respect both his politics and his opinion, but I'm baffled by this sudden announcement as nothing seen in this picture wasn't in the screenplay eighteen months ago,” Millar wrote on his blog. “Yes, the body-count is very high, but a movie called ‘Kick-Ass 2’ really has to do what it says on the tin.”

Millar noted that Carrey’s character is a born-again Christian and doesn’t shoot a gun, part of what the comic book creator said attracted the actor to the role.

Carrey's character is a blend of Col. Stars and Lt. Stripes from Millar's book, who turn to vigilantism after being criminals. The first film, released in spring 2010, was mildly successful at the box office, grossing more than $96 million worldwide. It was rated R for "strong brutal violence throughout, pervasive language, sexual content, nudity and some drug use -- some involving children."

The sequel also has been rated R for "strong violence, pervasive language, crude and sexual content, and brief nudity."

“Like Jim, I'm horrified by real-life violence (even though I'm Scottish), but ‘Kick-Ass 2’ isn't a documentary. No actors were harmed in the making of this production!,” Millar wrote. “This is fiction and like Tarantino and Peckinpah, Scorcese (sic) and Eastwood, John Boorman, Oliver Stone and Chan-Wook Park, ‘Kick-Ass’ avoids the usual bloodless body-count of most big summer pictures and focuses instead of the CONSEQUENCES of violence, whether it's the ramifications for friends and family or, as we saw in the first movie, Kick-Ass spending six months in hospital after his first street altercation….

“Ultimately, this is his decision, but I've never quite bought the notion that violence in fiction leads to violence in real-life any more than Harry Potter casting a spell creates more Boy Wizards in real-life. Our job as storytellers is to entertain and our toolbox can't be sabotaged by curtailing the use of guns in an action-movie….”

“’Kick-Ass 2’ is fictional fun so let's focus our ire instead of [sic] the real-life violence going on in the world like the war in Afghanistan, the alarming tension in Syria right now and the fact that Superman just snapped a guy's … neck.”

Carrey had expressed reservations about movie violence earlier in the year, when he was promoting "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone."

"[M]y character is a guy that came from a violent background who is trying to turn it around and he uses a gun with no bullets in it. These are things I am considering now because I just feel like we don't cause the problem, but we don't help it much either," he told MTV News.

Universal declined to comment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Seriously? Did Jim Carrey not see the first movie before he signed on for the sequel? This is reminiscent (though not as bad) as when Shia Labouf (sp?) bit the hand that fed him millions of $$$ to act in the last Indiana Jones movie, by turning around and saying how badly it sucked. Or like how Megan Fox slammed The Transformers movies that gave her her big break.

JC probably got paid more for his role in KA2 alone than most people will make in a lifetime.

New redband trailer

See the official site or go to YouTube: Kick-Ass 2: Extended NSFW Trailer

It's all about Chloe. My my, how she has grown.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Things just got real

There's a vid if you follow the link.
    WATCH: Real life superheroes save the day at Comic-Con as stunt men rescue suicidal woman

When a woman climbs out onto her 14-story balcony, ready to jump, three stuntmen setting up a promotion for 'Kick-Ass 2' come to her rescue on the first day of the annual San Diego event.
    By Sasha Goldstein / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Monday, July 22, 2013, 8:27 AM

Stunt men sneak through the woman’s apartment and out onto the balcony.

This stunt proved to be these heroes' best yet.

In San Diego setting up a "Kick-Ass 2" promotion at Comic-Con, three stuntmen came to the rescue of a distressed, suicidal woman threatening to jump from a 14-story apartment balcony.

A woman, devastated by a breakup, climbs over the railing of this 14-story balcony.

"We're trained to deal with these situations should they arise," stuntman Amos Carver told ABC News. "But usually if we do, it's not an innocent civilian.

"If we're saving somebody, it's a situation we constructed in such a way that they're out on the edge of life or death intentionally to get a certain shot [IN A FILM], and we swoop in. But those are people that are expecting this."

Stuntmen Gregg Sargeant (l.) and Amos Carver (r.) made the daring rescue before police even arrived on the scene in San Diego.

Thursday's scene was anything but planned. The woman's green shorts get-up was originally mistaken for an attempt at guerilla marketing to promote "Kick-Ass 2", a movie that features it's hero wearing a similar ensemble. But when the woman, described as drunk and distraught over a breakup, climbed over the railing sans harness, bystanders and neighbors realized she intended to kill herself.

"Don't do it! Don't jump!" they yelled to the woman as police and firefighters responded to the scene.

Several stuntmen from a company called Stunts 911 rescued a young woman dangling from the balcony of a downtown building on Thursday who appeared to be ready to jump from the 14th floor of a high-rise.

Before cops could get there, the three stuntmen scaled a fence and entered the apartment complex where they got the OK to head upstairs. They found the unidentified woman's apartment unlocked, and sneaked through so the woman wouldn't hear them. As they approached, "she was hanging on [THE BALCONY]with one hand, and had one foot off the ledge," Carver told ABC.

"She was ready to go," Gregg Sargeant told KERO-TV.

Stuntman Amos Carver says the woman kept repeating, ‘I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry’ as they dragged her to safety.

The team made it out on the balcony and Sargeant wrapped her in a bear hug as Carver and Scott Schecter secured her in a harness. The crowd below burst into applause and cheers as she was pulled in safely.

"She just kept saying, 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry,' over and over again," Carver said. "She was very distraught."

Gregg Sargeant wraps the woman in a bear hug before she can jump.

Initial reports indicated police arrived and talked the woman down. Instead, it was the three action heroes saving the day - and getting a "thank you" from police who arrived shortly after the daring rescue.

The incident happened on the very first day of Comic-Con, an international comic book and pop culture convention that descends on San Diego every July.

"I was just so thankful we got there when we got there. I think if we'd been there two seconds later, she would've been gone," Sargeant said.

Not a promotion for the film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our official review

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips