Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Philipp Bayer Ving Tsun (explained?)

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Boxers are tough to fight yes simply because you have to HURT them. To do this you have to have
    Ko power
    Punching readiness
    Strategy
    Balance
    See opportunity
    Correct your mistakes.

While you're doing all that , so is he. So focusing on this list start with a solid jawbreaking punch. If you can't do number one the rest are useless.
    Agree totally Kev, just seems that guy.b thinks they cant fight

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Why should we believe you?
    Feeling a bit schizophrenic today?

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Feeling a bit schizophrenic today?
    Jar empty for witty responses today is it?

You do make me laugh

You do make me laugh
    See, my jar is full

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Like I said if they work for you then great. They don't for me. They get in the way.

Head guards are also a big no. They also get in the way. I heard rumors that they are being retracted from Boxing contests soon. Research has indicated that they do more harm than good but like with the gloves protective equipment definitely has its place as a training aid but not for Ving Tsun sparring.
    The concern over use of head guards in amateur boxing is centered upon the fact that they allow fighters to sustain repeated blows to the head that would otherwise have knocked them down, thus leading to more injuries that derive from compound damage due to repetitive trauma. No one is arguing for them to be removed from the sparring environment.
    If you choose not to use them, to each their own. They do restrict peripheral vision especially when fitted with a cage face grill but everything in training is a compromise. As for the gloves, again as you said to each his own. I wouldn't bother trying "bong sau" gloves which are bigger if you have already tried 6oz mma gloves and found their 1 cm of padding to be too restrictive for your style. Having tried them a few years ago I found them far more cumbersome and restrictive.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    The concern over use of head guards in amateur boxing is centered upon the fact that they allow fighters to sustain repeated blows to the head that would otherwise have knocked them down, thus leading to more injuries that derive from compound damage due to repetitive trauma. No one is arguing for them to be removed from the sparring environment.
    If you choose not to use them, to each their own. They do restrict peripheral vision especially when fitted with a cage face grill but everything in training is a compromise. As for the gloves, again as you said to each his own. I wouldn't bother trying "bong sau" gloves which are bigger if you have already tried 6oz mma gloves and found their 1 cm of padding to be too restrictive for your style. Having tried them a few years ago I found them far more cumbersome and restrictive.
    Yes I agree.

My preference is to use no protective equipment at all albeit during the occasional bit of "milling"

I am fortunate to have a good amount of hand control so I can maintain a fairly intense level of sparring without the risk of serious injury. Some of my training partners are not so good at it so the occasional eye poke, nail scratch and cut lip are normal. It is fighting after all.

The bong sau gloves are a bit cumbersome but I would rather use them than boxing style gloves. I will probably continue to use the bong sau gloves for bag and pad work.

It is impossible to use wing chun with large gloves, and small gloves interfere a lot.
    I've heard a few opinions that small (4-6oz) gloves interfere with normal WCK movements besides yours. I have a different opinion - but certainly larger gloves bind up on bridge movements and entry.

Where specifically are you seeing problems with the smaller gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I don't like the boxing head guards. They offer some protection for the snap jabs straight on in sparring, but if you get clipped with a good round punch I think they actually amplify the impact for real hard punches - like a compression effect or something. I actually feel those more than no head guard at all.

Our guys use them to protect against cuts during the last couple weeks of training camp for fights. But not much else.

IMO if you learn the basic movements rolling with punches then you don't need a head guard, even in sparring. Of course YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I've heard a few opinions that small (4-6oz) gloves interfere with normal WCK movements besides yours. I have a different opinion - but certainly larger gloves bind up on bridge movements and entry.

Where specifically are you seeing problems with the smaller gloves?
    They make the hand and wrist a solid thing rather than the flexible and sensitive object it is. They interfere with elbow angles and pressure. Reactions to getting punched with them on are different to getting punched with them off.

Don't get me wrong, small gloves are ok and especially good for preventing cuts, but I think you need bare knuckle.

They make the hand and wrist a solid thing rather than the flexible and sensitive object it is.
    I think you'll find some 4-6 oz gloves have an inflexible wrist and others have a flexible wrist construction. You probably can find some with a better feel. Some have individual finger sleeves and others don't. Check a few more out before writing them off.

They interfere with elbow angles and pressure.
    How?

Reactions to getting punched with them on are different to getting punched with them off.
    Yeah, maybe a little. The smaller gloves cut like a bare knuckle. But there may be a little less concern for protecting the hands with gloves on.

Don't get me wrong, small gloves are ok and especially good for preventing cuts, but I think you need bare knuckle.
    Sure you need bare knuckle. But IMO if that's all you do then people stop hitting each other hard because it's not practical. I'd balance it out with both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    How?
    Padding gets in the way, especially on a tan type strike. I just find they impede me.

Sure you need bare knuckle. But IMO if that's all you do then people stop hitting each other hard because it's not practical. I'd balance it out with both.
    Yes both is a good way to go.