Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Philipp Bayer Ving Tsun (explained?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Maybe im looking at the wrong clip, at about 2.45m mark there is some light sparring betwee the gentleman in question (i believe) and his trainer, the last minute or so is him talking with his students in the back ground drilling that is not the same as a clip of students he has produced fighting full contact in events

Im not having a go or being awkward but you said he should be added to the same list as Alan Orr and Phil Redmond when it comes to training students who can fight...both those gentleman have posted clips of their guys in full contact events against students of other schools so thats the yardstick used to judge i suppose
    I understand you. I know he has students fight in MMA who train with him. I don't have those clips. However I will try to find them and post. The only real yardstick is to touch hands with him yourself. I do think he puts a lot on youtube, to give a good example of his abilities, rather than the usual "I have fought 200+ street fights and never lost claims".

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    I actually trained for a short while with a PB student, a guy named Desmond Spencer. He was really good, however I left after a short while to train with Leo Au Yeung. Found the system under Leo had better use or energy, movement and power. Prior to Training with Spencer I was with Niņo Bernardo linage.
    I find this extremely amusing you trained with two guys from Wsl lineage Nino bernardo & Desmond Spencer then you go with Leo Au Yeung Wow extrodinary is all i can say on that

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    I find this extremely amusing you trained with two guys from Wsl lineage Nino bernardo & Desmond Spencer then you go with Leo Au Yeung Wow extrodinary is all i can say on that
    You know at the time I was very biased to WSL I really wanted to stick in that direction. If things ever changed with Leo I would probably go back to WSL. However that more I train in WC (over 10 years) I realise the top people all have the same concepts and principles, just a different way of explaining it.

The only real yardstick is to touch hands with him yourself. I do think he puts a lot on youtube, to give a good example of his abilities, rather than the usual "I have fought 200+ street fights and never lost claims".
    Why is that the only real yardstick? I hear this a lot. It is quite impractical. Why can't he just put up videos of him or his students sparring so we can see for ourselves what he or his students can really do? I agree with you about unproven claims being worthless.

You know at the time I was very biased to WSL I really wanted to stick in that direction. If things ever changed with Leo I would probably go back to WSL. However that more I train in WC (over 10 years) I realise the top people all have the same concepts and principles, just a different way of explaining it.
    I dare to differ with my 30+ years training VT Not all talk the same Principles and concepts i figure it boils down to prefernce and if we click. Like you said if things changed with Leo you'd go back to Wsl Method At the end of the day what ever floats your boat mate
    Last edited by Jansingsang; 03-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    In my experience (23+years), it is the complete opposite!
    Probably more depends on who you consider the top people

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    Why is that the only real yardstick? I hear this a lot. It is quite impractical. Why can't he just put up videos of him or his students sparring so we can see for ourselves what he or his students can really do? I agree with you about unproven claims being worthless.
    Please explain why its impractical to touch hands with someone?

Please explain why its impractical to touch hands with someone?
    Because that person may be halfway around the world for instance. People say so and so is good. He lives in Europe and me in the US. Is the only way to know he is good is to get on a plane?

I even wonder if when it is practical, it may not be the best way to see if someone is good. Maybe I am not very good. Maybe I don't know that I am not very good. I may think I am good. If I can touch hands with this someone and he dominates me, does that prove he is good? He may seem awesome to me but in reality not be very good at all. Can we all not think of examples of this in reality?

Now ff I can see that person sparring won't that give me a farily good idea of what he can do and not just against me?

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post

Now ff I can see that person sparring won't that give me a farily good idea of what he can do and not just against me?
    That's all dependent on who his Sparring with my friend

Think you have to add Leo Au Yeung to that list also...
    No evidence of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    You can add Philipp Bayer to the list, as well.
    No evidence of this either.

You can see him here in Thailand sparring, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbi3mMA7LkU
    I saw drilling. No sparring, though.

Some made-up, pretend scenarios though.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 03-15-2013 at 12:16 PM.

I understand you. I know he has students fight in MMA who train with him. I don't have those clips. However I will try to find them and post. The only real yardstick is to touch hands with him yourself. I do think he puts a lot on youtube, to give a good example of his abilities, rather than the usual "I have fought 200+ street fights and never lost claims".

No sparring clips or fighting clips.

Here's one of Philipp's students who fought a couple of "outsider cup" mma matches in Germany:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nHokPScaGCg

Before doing ving tsun he was a boxer. Had over 60 fights in the ring for the "1 Bundesliege". That means he was pretty darn good.

Then he trained with a student of Philipp's in Stuttgart and was convinced straight away with the efficacy of the system.

Sorry there isn't any video of his mma matches. I think he lost on the ground in one fight...

In any event, just because you don't train fighters for the ring doesn't mean that you don't train people to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    Here's one of Philipp's students who fought a couple of "outsider cup" mma matches in Germany:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nHokPScaGCg

Before doing ving tsun he was a boxer. Had over 60 fights in the ring for the "1 Bundesliege". That means he was pretty darn good.

Then he trained with a student of Philipp's in Stuttgart and was convinced straight away with the efficacy of the system.

Sorry there isn't any video of his mma matches. I think he lost on the ground in one fight...

In any event, just because you don't train fighters for the ring doesn't mean that you don't train people to fight.
    Sean,

You realize your going to be featherd, Spaying/Neutered, beaten and hung out to dry for making so much sense on a forum like this. And NO video of it all to boot!! LoL your finished man

James