Thread: BJJ brain Vs Kung Fu brain

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Most BJJ "only" people are afraid to get thrown too (I don't know break fall is part of the BJJ training). This is why "cross training" is a must.
    This is somewhat true. Our sensei's comes from a long line of Judokas before they switched to BJJ. We have Judo night, only once a week. Most people avoid this one night on the grappling mat, including myself. I'm good at breakfalling. I just don't like it.

To separate striking from grappling make sense. It's easier to develop your striking skill and grappling skill separately and then integrate both together.
    I disagree, the MMA class by itself, integrate striking and grappling together...right from the beginning and all the time, much better. Speaking from my experience, I've competed & medaled in BJJ only matches (blue belt) and fought Muay Thai, where I train the most....and of course, watched a ton of UFC's. But I never trained MMA. The first time I did and sparred pretty hard in MMA, and got grounded and pounded in the head (50-60% power), there was a distinct feeling of panic that went through me and I tapped really quick. This happened like 2-3 more times with the same guy who I've always destroyed in Boxing or Muay Thai class. He's getting payback. He's also better than me in BJJ though, most due to his size (we're equal in BJJ exp.) Just that he was way more experienced in MMA. I quickly got used to it though and adjusted.

But to separate ground game from throwing is not a good idea IMO.
    BJJ concentrates more on the simple and less riskier takedowns, rather than the spectacular Judo throws. No doubt that O Goshi, Uki Goshi, etc. all work. See plenty of Judokas fling BJJ's into the air at BJJ tournaments. But they're still more riskier than simple takedowns. BJJ do train breakfalls and throws, just not as well as Judokas. BJJ's emphasis is mostly on ground fighting. Just like Judokas, do train newaza, just not as much as BJJ.
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 03-20-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    I disagree, the MMA class by itself, integrate striking and grappling together....BJJ concentrates more on the simple and less riskier takedowns, rather than the spectacular Judo throws.
    It's better to develop a good throw first (such as a hip throw - the mother of all throws). You then add

- striking skill before it as set up, and
    - ground skill after it as follow up.

To me, that's the most logic path for kick, punch, lock, throw, ground skill integration.

Trying to develop

- hip throw in boxing ring (you have to worry about punch to the head),
    - single leg in kickboxing ring (you have to worry about knee to the head),

are both difficult if not impossible.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-20-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's better to develop a good throw first (such as a hip throw - the mother of all throws). You then add

- striking skill before it as set up, and
    - ground skill after it as follow up.

To me, that's the most logic path for kick, punch, lock, throw, ground skill integration.

Trying to develop

- hip throw in boxing ring (you have to worry about punch to the head),
    - single leg in kickboxing ring (you have to worry about knee to the head),

are both difficult if not impossible.
    Depends on which hip throw, because most of them exposes your back too much. I wouldn't consider throws the core of MMA, because grappling is not my main game. To a grappler it may be.

In our 90 min. MMA class, we do train these aspects of fighting, separately. But most important, it's geared toward MMA fighting and then combining them all together. The student is forced to address all aspects of fighting. While in BJJ only class, there are techniques trained that wouldn't be a good idea in MMA. Then there's the gi or no-gi problem. Same goes for MT class, usually geared toward standup striking only and susceptible to being taken down.