Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BJJ brain Vs Kung Fu brain

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's better to develop a good throw first (such as a hip throw - the mother of all throws). You then add

- striking skill before it as set up, and
    - ground skill after it as follow up.

To me, that's the most logic path for kick, punch, lock, throw, ground skill integration.

Trying to develop

- hip throw in boxing ring (you have to worry about punch to the head),
    - single leg in kickboxing ring (you have to worry about knee to the head),

are both difficult if not impossible.
    Depends on which hip throw, because most of them exposes your back too much. I wouldn't consider throws the core of MMA, because grappling is not my main game. To a grappler it may be.

In our 90 min. MMA class, we do train these aspects of fighting, separately. But most important, it's geared toward MMA fighting and then combining them all together. The student is forced to address all aspects of fighting. While in BJJ only class, there are techniques trained that wouldn't be a good idea in MMA. Then there's the gi or no-gi problem. Same goes for MT class, usually geared toward standup striking only and susceptible to being taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    I know you run a gym and your response is logical w/merit but also PC inclined, because there's also the underlying factor that you, as a gym owner can't really admit w/o ruffling feathers among your students....which is what I said. MMA is just too rough for most people. This is why Boxers don't go to wrestling class because they'll get reduced to near zero once taken to the ground and Wrestlers stay away from Boxing class because they're scared to get hit in the head. Or TMA, where they think they've got everything covered, but scared to spar at anything in the 50-100% power range.

When classes are separated, people will naturally gravitate to what they do best and ending up staying and competing there exclusively. I know this is my problem too, I've gravitated towards pure standup and awfully neglecting my BJJ. But if our 200+ member gym just change all classes to MMA only, I bet 70% of the students will leave within a month and the owner will go bankrupt.
    I don’t own a gym I simply train at a few different ones? I think you are thinking about Ross lol
    But it’s a valid point most people don’t want to spar MMA hard, and others simply aren’t interested in MMA and would prefer to do just stand up or just grappling and a school has to cater for that too
    And what you seem to be forgetting is that even those that do like sparring MMA and compete still train submission wrestling AND striking in separate classes, at least the ones who which to make it past c class do, you simply cant develop the necessary skills to become good at the various aspects of MMA without training it individually and then bringing it all together in an MMA environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    And what you seem to be forgetting is that even those that do like sparring MMA and compete still train submission wrestling AND striking in separate classes, at least the ones who which to make it past c class do, you simply cant develop the necessary skills to become good at the various aspects of MMA without training it individually and then bringing it all together in an MMA environment.
    No doubt, I never argued against this and agree with you. These guys that you're talking about are these very few who trains in the MMA class that I was arguing about. They're the fighters. They do train in BJJ only class. Although they still seem to shy away from MT only and Boxing only though.

This is why our MMA class only, is almost half the price of our BJJ or MT. Same goes for Boxing only, very few signs up.