View Poll Results: The benefits of the internal arts are due to (choose all that apply)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Specific physical movments (ie. it is possible to do them wrong and not get benefit)

5 41.67%
  • Specific breathing (ie. it is possible to do it wrong and not get the benefits)

6 50.00%
  • The thought process/mental component ("intent" or something like that) alone

6 50.00%
  • General physical movements (ie. they don't have to be exact)

7 58.33%
  • General breathing (ie. it doesn't have to be exact)

5 41.67%
  • Placebo

4 33.33%
  • There are none, not even placebo

2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The benefits from internal arts come from...

Ok, goodbye

Despite my many years of stuff, I am ignorant as to what 'internal arts' are!
    The oft repeated statements that taijiquan, xingyi, etc are 'internal arts'...OK
    My questions would be:
    1. Are you talking about qigong?
    2. Are you talking taijiquan, etc?
    3. Are you talking meditation?

The general daoyin sentiment is that there are 2 levels of 'training" One you can change through right conduct, right attitude, adjust posre, breadth, etc and the next which, although cannot be changed, can bring a 'new improved perspective that WILL definitely change the person.

has anyone produced a spirit fetus yet? the manual says my genitals would disappear and i would have golden fetus inside me, but nothing happened.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    has anyone produced a spirit fetus yet? the manual says my genitals would disappear and i would have golden fetus inside me, but nothing happened.
    It's a metaphor.

"Are you saying the benefit of internal arts has nothing to do with the movement or breathing?"
    IronFist, don't all forms of exercise depend on movement and breathing? I agree that these two things solely constitute Chi-Kung exercise, from the outside looking in, but there is a whole cultural perspective that goes along with "Internal Kungfu" that can lead you to your goal. There's an anatomical/physiological perspective as well, otherwise yes, the books sound like mystical mumbo-jumbo. a real Teacher can help you, but good luck finding one.
    Go to a door-jam or pole or tree or something (typical modern example; pushing a car); any immovable object will do. Push, with proper posture, from the ground up etc. What happens? You breath out a grunt, Your diaphram lowers, your euro-genital diaphram contracts and your belly pushes outward...You breath OUT but your stomach EXPANDS, not contracts. Its pretty simple man, its natural and happens naturally.

there are 2 major aspects

1 yi or intent

use yi to lead your movement or non movement

we need to practice standing in many postures

so that we may detect minute changes in fine movements of our body

we know ourself and the opponent's intent even before he moves or starts to move

--

that is hard.

2 Xin or heart

--

my point is that qi is only part of the story and not the whole thing

--

The body must unite with the heart, the heart must unite with the chi, the chi must unite with the mind. The mind must unite with the chi, the chi must unite with the heart, the heart must unite with the body.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    use yi to lead your movement or non movement ...
    Did our "internal" expert just said instead of using Yi to lead your movement, you should react without thinking about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You need to be able to react with out thinking about it, if you are doing internal it will be a lot easier to react without thinking much.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaL9H View Post
    The body must unite with the heart, the heart must unite with the chi, the chi must unite with the mind. The mind must unite with the chi, the chi must unite with the heart, the heart must unite with the body.
    No...

The fist must connect with the target, or the elbow, or the knee, etc.

Quit worrying about the heart and the chi and the mind and uniting!

Punch stuff, kick stuff, elbow stuff......

It is THAT simple!

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaL9H View Post
    ......and your belly pushes outward...You breath OUT but your stomach EXPANDS, not contracts. Its pretty simple man, its natural and happens naturally.
    This is wrong as well!

The belly firms up when you lift something heavy. It only expands if you have no core strength or experience lifting heavy weight! An expanding belly when lifting heavy objects is dangerous, unless you WANT a hernia!

You are reading too much philosophical theory from authors who have never lifted anything heavy as a routine practice and not lifting enough heavy weights yourself!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 04-17-2013 at 09:19 AM.

First 3 IMO.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Scott Brown, to clarify, your diaphram pushes down on the viscera from above, wich causes the belly to protrude outward. Yes, your abdominal muscles firm up, obviously.
    Last edited by CicadaL9H; 04-17-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: clarity

Cicada can you explain your definition of stomach expanding? Most people would notice the abdomen gets tighter and expands downward or inward versus outward.

Its known as reverse breathing in kungfu but many other athletes are aware of this phenomena. Try lifting something heavy above your head, the reverse tends to happen; your stomch sucks inward (and firms up;contracts)

You answered just as I was asking. Do you have the original source from your earlier quote in Chinese?I'd be curious to see it.