Thread: Self made mats

Self made mats

Any d.i.yers out there who tried to make a judo or grappling mat? Buying a mat even for home use is ridiculously priced. I was trying to see if anyone here has tried to make one before or has succeeded in doing so.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    you looking for a full on throw mat?

not really any cheap way to do that.

i personally like Tiffin products. mostly gymnastics oriented but I had two 6x12x2" folding mats that I could make a 12x12x2" practice area out of that worked well. but, yea, you're talking 500-600 for that.

good luck.

go to a lake/ocean beach and throw in the sand???
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ...'grappling mat'...all you need for that is any of the 7/8" puzzle mats offered by everyone including our sponser...er, or not...was trying to find the item on the MAM site but couldn't...

anyway, there are a lot of the 7/8 puzzle mats out there....not terribly expensive but you can't throw on them...beware that every manufacturer has a different pattern for the puzzle interlock so they are NOT interchangeable...also, diff mfg'rs have different density and stiction parameters...C*nt*r* has a very soft composition that's great for rolling on but not great for stand up sparring as it wan'ts to stick to your feet.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

@ OP:

I'm on the lookout for the same thing. A buddy of mine told me sometimes schools will sell their old wrestling mats after so many uses. These are normally not in bad shape for home use.

Yeah, even local gyms. And for throws yeah, was thinking somewhat like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=ehb7tfvrXe8 except making it a little thicker sandwhiching the thicker foam in carpet padding was just looking for a small size maybe around 10' x 10' and maybe duct tape that all together after gluing it all, but I'm not sure if duct tape would just come apart. Oso yeah I'm gonna go do that too, but it's not always warm by that lake and with crappy weather you can't really go out to train.

A lot of dudes by super thick carpet padding and then buy vinyl to cover it. You can do a whole room for a couple hundred bucks.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    @ OP:

I'm on the lookout for the same thing. A buddy of mine told me sometimes schools will sell their old wrestling mats after so many uses. These are normally not in bad shape for home use.
    You can get free wrestling mats in the summers sometimes if you find a high school that is getting new mats.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

By the way, have you looked at Dollamur rollout mats? They are cheaper than wrestling mats, super durable, and they roll up out of the way when you are done.

Yeah I did look at those, ever use them for throws though?

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Yeah I did look at those, ever use them for throws though?
    Yes. I ran my classes on them for 5 years until I got a deal on Zebra mats. They worked fine.

Awesome, I'll possibly look into them.