Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best ...

The Best ...

Punch is: Straight punch - elbow down.

Kick is: ?

Throw is: ?

Lock is: ?

I start with straight punch. This is because it is the direct straight simple strike with natural and no need to study alignment etc. Dead simple, totally effective. It is the go to punch of punches.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    PunchThis is because it is the direct straight simple strike with natural and no need to study alignment etc.
    Simple perhaps, but people seem to find a lot of ways to do it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    PunchIt is the go to punch of punches.
    Yep.

Or? how about the one that works for you at that moment in time...

I'm not going to say the best, that is certainly open for a lot of debate...but my favorites are...cross, side thrust kick, hip toss, RNC..(does that count as a lock?)
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I'm not going to say the best, that is certainly open for a lot of debate...
    As long as the moves that you mention here have been used in UFC, you will be quite safe. Sometime to prevent a debating from happening is much easier than to let it to start and then spend 20 pages to end it.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

As long as the moves that you mention here have been used in UFC, you will be quite safe. Sometime to prevent a debating from happening is much easier than to let it to start and then spend 20 pages to end it.
    LOL so true...but I'll never be able to pass them off as TCMA...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    LOL so true...but I'll never be able to pass them off as TCMA...
    As long as you use the modern terms. In stead of using the TCMA term

- "Python around the neck", you use the modern term "RNC".
    - "reverse head lock", you use the modern term "guillotine".
    - "leg seize", you use the modern term "ankle pick".
    - "knee seize", you use the modern term "single leg".
    - "comb the hair", you use the modern term "crazy monkey".
    - "back reverse punch", you use the modern term "cross".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-19-2013 at 08:43 PM.

I am thinking in terms of what is energy efficient, time efficient and doesn't compromise another part of the self.

But yes, otherwise, what you are in position to do will dictate the technique used.

For kick, I would say shovel.

the shovel kick or jamming kick takes little effort, little energy and doesn't demand a postural shift. It just shoots out and jams the incoming so long as it is timed right. Simple, straight to the point.

I basically spent more than a few hours over time feeling my own body as I moved through techniques. the techniques that required the least amount of posture change, the least amount of muscular engagement and that got the most return for that small effort are what I determined to be "best".

the most complex, with the least force issued. I consider the worst.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I see what you're looking for David, but I can't identify.
    To me, its about expedience and efficiency as well, the simplest, most direct and efficient attacks. Every move or combination always has to pass the 'was it direct and efficient' test. blocks become strikes. Lifting an elbow is more direct than punching sometimes, dropping a knee better than kicking.
    I totally agree in the principle of the simplest, most direct option at any and all points.
    Add a bit of ruthless intent and you got supper!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

modern combat sports is mathmatics. everything is streamlined and as efficient as possible.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    modern combat sports is mathmatics. everything is streamlined and as efficient as possible.
    That is the idea. In Kung Fu this is also where it's at when you get down to it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    That's true and what I was thinking with this question. It's hard to describe best offense because I think more in terms of high probability to create the best defense to allow for the best offense.

For example - combing the hair is the most efficient standing defense because most people are head hunters and once you got protecting your head down, then you don't have to worry a lot about the striking game.

The most common takedown defense is the sprawl, so you get that down you don't have to worry about being taken down so much (or do Judo, Sambo, or Shuai Jiao and develop a strong takedown / takedown defense over the course of time)

On the ground - master the basic defense for the most common attacks and pins - then you can be offensive without worrying to much about what the other guy is going to do.

There is no such thing as "the best", everything can be countered. It's situational and it's dependent on the players and who's better at the game at the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    For example - combing the hair is the most efficient standing defense because most people are head hunters and once you got protecting your head down, then you don't have to worry a lot about the striking game.
    The "combing the hair" should be combined with the arm wrapping, overhook, and head lock. Otherwise it may be too "defensive". In every single class of mine, we ask our opponents to use jab and cross to punch at our head. We then try to end with a clinch from there. It's such an important training that we want to be able to do that with almost eyes closed. One of my guys can reach to almost 80% successful rate on this.

Skill such as combing the hair, arm wrapping, overhook, head lock are not the major tools in your toolbox. But if you can use it well and quickly turn a striking game into a grappling game, you may not need that many striking tools in your toop box. Can you learn those skill from the solo form training? It's very difficult if not impossible IMO.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-20-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    There is no such thing as "the best", everything can be countered. It's situational and it's dependent on the players and who's better at the game at the time.
    I second this statement but I'll go ahead and give an answer to DJ's question. I can't pick only one for each category so I'll list just a few go to techniques that I like.

Punch: Straight punches for sure. Boxing jabs are fine as well as left hook and right cross.

Kick: Front snap, front thrust (more with the heal). I'm more of a blitzing off of 45's to straight line inside fighter so I mainly use kicks to create distance so I can reset and reestablish a bridge again to get back inside.

Throw: Hip toss and arm drag. Tomoe nage for the big guys who like to lean in.

Lock: Arm bars both standing and from the ground as well as center locks. Finger locks when you can grab them or have to peal a hand off of you.

...and then the rest of the tool box depending on the situation.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 03-20-2013 at 09:43 PM.