Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun knives video (Leo Au Yeung)

I don’t care what anyone does or say about anyone’s skill level, you would clearly know what someone can do in the stand up or with weapons; based on how well they could move their feet with consistent balance.

And if they move like they have a stick in their but, then it would be easy for you to put your foot in there as well. That’s if you could move your stance better than your opponent can move his.

Most of these guys move like robots when taken more than two or three steps, and you can see that it doesn’t look natural, because; to them it never feels natural like the way they would want you to think it does. Leaving them in the wakes of being a human punching bag or when dealing with the knives, just plain old hamburger meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I don’t care what anyone does or say about anyone’s skill level, you would clearly know what someone can do in the stand up or with weapons; based on how well they could move their feet with consistent balance.

And if they move like they have a stick in their but, then it would be easy for you to put your foot in there as well. That’s if you could move your stance better than your opponent can move his..
    You should move naturally and just like you walk. My Hsing Yi instructor was telling me that one of the best Wing Chun guys he ever worked with just moved like he was walking and he was so natural and balanced it was like he was always on point.

I used to move like a robot, now I move like an arthritic robot
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

This is true; walking through the form would develop a strong sense and sensibility of structure awareness and a strong flow of energy assertiveness.
    But in combat or wooden knife sparring, the one which get the better position usually hands out the first cut, because if one misses with his blade he would need enough mobility to move his center of mass within a safe position, to regroup, parry or defend.

This action is very fast and unforgiving and especially when dealing with the knives when taking more than one or two steps. Because you’re gonna get cut sooner or later. And in the years that I’ve trained in FMA and Wing Chun when dealing with the knives, I never just walked through a sparring match.

Because most of the time my opponents were more knowledgeable and faster (Woo John & Mr. Lee) wing chun practitioners, and this guy as well. I thought I could nullify the pain from the hits by wearing three to four t-shirts, it looked like nothing but felt like hell, and this guys could get behind you within one group of flowing movements.

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    Sorry Sifu Wahlamushti, but, I just watched an old footage of WSL, he's got the very default I told earlier about.

Will be killed by an average european fencer with this very flaw in the basic of basics.

(This was written in fencing manuals in the 15th century in europe... It's quite older than Wing Chun... Sorry)
    There is a saying in VT The Baat jaam do has no match ! I believe in the form.Wsl version .Not what we witness here in Ip chuns mangled version with poor foorwork no angleing, trieffling flipping knifes nonsence that can get you killed . Yip man was the first to beat the fencer .Butcher mind state !
    Last edited by Jansingsang; 03-20-2013 at 10:25 AM.

It not just flipping the swords

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    Not what we witness here in Ip chuns mangled version with poor foorwork no angleing, trieffling flipping knifes nonsence that can get you killed . Yip man was the first to beat the fencer [B]
    The flipping of the knives is actually simultaneously parrying, blocking and slashing with the swords. In some words a “Gong Da”.

The lower sword blocks like an “Ngoy Gong Sao”, and the higher sword blocks like a “Garm Sao”, or you could slash with it as well (higher sword).

One day, I’ll show some applications; as someone swings a heavy pole in real time and as hard as they want too.

That movement can also be used as a reinforced block; both swords support each other within a very hard swing of the pole, or simply blocking a low attack while simultaneously hacking at the wrist of your opponent.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 03-20-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-20-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    What chance do you think that your double short knifes will have any chance to deal with this 1.7 Kg and 140 cm (4.3 ft) long "苗刀Miao Dao- The Grain Leaf Saber"?
    Like in any fight, a knife fight is one you should walk away from, but you should treat it like the pole and only work the swords as an extension of the hands. And as quick as the hands move without the swords, you should develop the same agility with them.

And try to take advantage of the big movements of that weapon as if someone was throwing very large and telegraphing punches or kicks and by taking up his space (don’t get caught on the end of that weapon) while trapping or pinning that weapon away from your center mass (the advantage of two limbs).

But, the wing chun person having use of two limbs and shorter weapons compared to his opponent, has a better chance in making the other guy fight for his balance. But when dealing with blades you’ll never know, and when sparring against a 9 or 11 foot pole it has been done, while in most blade arts the pole or stick has always been consider as a bladed weapon (in training).

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    One day, I’ll show some applications; as someone swings a heavy pole in real time and as hard as they want too.

That movement can also be used as a reinforced block; both swords support each other within a very hard swing of the pole, or simply blocking a low attack while simultaneously hacking at the wrist of your opponent.

Yes, that be Intresting too see that in action realtime know doubt .Within the Wsl line the same effect can be aqquired , useing the Bong do movement at short range I most definitely would prefer as it brings a more safer reasurance responce. as no flipping invovled ? Hence risk of dropping knifes; In high speed intensecity of the fight .Which i feel is a more fisable reality of happening, making my as&% comprimised some what . If it works lam using that sh%t and what dont i discard and find a more practical solution to the problem !

Nice Video production..
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    You should move naturally and just like you walk. My Hsing Yi instructor was telling me that one of the best Wing Chun guys he ever worked with just moved like he was walking and he was so natural and balanced it was like he was always on point.

I used to move like a robot, now I move like an arthritic robot
    Good point..when it looks like your doing nothing its when your doing the most.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    There is a saying in VT The Baat jaam do has no match ! I believe in the form.Wsl version .Not what we witness here in Ip chuns mangled version with poor foorwork no angleing, trieffling flipping knifes nonsence that can get you killed . Yip man was the first to beat the fencer .Butcher mind state !
    So you see an over dramatised, very abstract film clip and feel qualified to comment on how a whole lineage trains
    The knife form is no different to the other wing chun forms, there are things that lend themselves to direct application, elements for conditioning, abstract concepts and movements necessary to transition between other elements.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    So you see an over dramatised, very abstract film clip and feel qualified to comment on how a whole lineage trains
    The knife form is no different to the other wing chun forms, there are things that lend themselves to direct application, elements for conditioning, abstract concepts and movements necessary to transition between other elements.
    Look the fellas from that neck of the woods Ip chun Kwok Whatever same form Not my cup of char Ok whatever floats your boat and puts a smile on your grumpy chops, each too there own so be it
    Last edited by Jansingsang; 03-20-2013 at 04:26 PM.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post

Saw WSL form... It has the same flaw, the same basic Flaw as the others.

I'll never leatrn Baat Jaam Do, I don't Think Wing Chun knows a **** about knives, there is better out there for weapons.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    Saw WSL form... It has the same flaw, the same basic Flaw as the others.

I'll never leatrn Baat Jaam Do, I don't Think Wing Chun knows a **** about knives, there is better out there for weapons.
    Nobodys perfect boo hoo

Not being funny How can you judge something youve never learn't Wow