Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun knives video (Leo Au Yeung)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    Nobodys perfect boo hoo

Not being funny How can you judge something youve never learn't Wow

No no, I refused to learn it, because of the flaw I saw.

I trained fencing, so I couldn't learn the wing chun knife form because of some move you do at the beginning of the form, and thain it get worse.

But, if you didn't noticed, I'll let you like that, I don't pretend to teach on internet.

But fencers here should see what I'm talking about.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

-------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for showing that.
    It's a showy fun version from Ip Chun lineage. There are different versions of the bjd.

It helps me to distinguish between development and application.

We dont walk around these days with a kwan or a do- but of properly taught and learned they can help in further development of the wing chun body and hands and footwork..

The thread is likely to wander as threads on this forum do.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------

We dont walk around these days with a kwan or a do- but of properly taught and learned they can help in further development of the wing chun body and hands and footwork..

The thread is likely to wander as threads on this forum do.

Precisely

Wing chun knoves are to train the Wing Chun Body, they were imported for that, after, there's the legend on the real expertise of wing chun in weapons.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    No no, I refused to learn it, because of the flaw I saw.

I trained fencing, so I couldn't learn the wing chun knife form because of some move you do at the beginning of the form, and thain it get worse.

But, if you didn't noticed, I'll let you like that, I don't pretend to teach on internet.

But fencers here should see what I'm talking about.
    Your interpretation of what each movement is for based upon what you see may be incorrect, you are far better to learn from someone who can explain things to you in order to form an understanding. Of course if you have no desire to understand then fair enough, but if so you should refrain from uneducated statements about the efficacy of the weapon.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

5. Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Your interpretation of what each movement is for based upon what you see may be incorrect, you are far better to learn from someone who can explain things to you in order to form an understanding. Of course if you have no desire to understand then fair enough, but if so you should refrain from uneducated statements about the efficacy of the weapon.

No no, I base my affirmation from a fencer point of view.

Didn't know fencing rules and basic principles didn't apply for wing chun guys with knives.

You guys are soooo special.

And speaking about education, did you do a bit of fencing? Did you saw the flaw in the knives form I 'm talking about?

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    The knife form is no different to the other wing chun forms.
    In your lineage you consider the knives to be no different??? Strange because in my lineage the thinking is totally different. In fact they contradict many ideas from the other components of the system.

Would you care to explain why you think this? I don't want to bicker but I would guess it is because your Sigung doesn't know. That is quite a common thought these days.

There is a situation in my lineage where by the student will only be taught the knives to people that show their worth in sparring. Due to the dangerous nature of fighting with them, wussies need not apply. Apprehension in knive fighting can lead to injuries. If you don't like to get stuck in and are controlled by fear the knives will be a problem for you. This is why there a quite a few differences within our own lineage. WSL didn't teach too many people knife fighting.

As your Sigung doesn't like fighting I would guess that he probably was shown aspects of the form but no sparring.

Like Leo AY, Ip Chuns Knives are riddled with mistakes. They may look good to the untrained eye but for fighting.....completely wrong.

There is always the chance that you and your peers may have taken things further than you were taught of course but I'd still like to know your thinking behind the knives and how they fit into your system.
    Last edited by Graham H; 03-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Didn't know fencing rules and basic principles didn't apply for wing chun guys with knives.

And speaking about education, did you do a bit of fencing? Did you saw the flaw in the knives form I 'm talking about?
    You may as well give up on this one. You clearly don't know what you are talking about so, as usual, you make snidey remars at people.

Go on say it......lay a cake or something, say that I am huge and that I have made your day etc etc etc

Sounds to me like you are convinced that fencing is the most superior weapon system on the planet and even though that perspective is based upon no knowledge of any other systems, also known as belief based upon ignorance. There are many different concepts in weapons play across the varying martial arts, they all have a rationale and most can be applied effectively in the hands of a skilled practitioner. To claim that fencing is superior to other weapons systems is a bit laughable considering it was evolved to fight someone using the same weapon and fighting in the same fashion.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

9. Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Sounds to me like you are convinced that fencing is the most superior weapon system on the planet and even though that perspective is based upon no knowledge of any other systems, also known as belief based upon ignorance. There are many different concepts in weapons play across the varying martial arts, they all have a rationale and most can be applied effectively in the hands of a skilled practitioner. To claim that fencing is superior to other weapons systems is a bit laughable considering it was evolved to fight someone using the same weapon and fighting in the same fashion.

Fencing IS the most efficient system with blades on the planet of course.
    And it's very true.

European have a lot of history of real documented life at stake duels to prove that.

There were written manuals, where people noted, after someone's death, what worked and what didn't. An there was a lot of deaths.

No forms in fencing, little theory, simple nomenclature, and more than 3 thousand years of practice.

And, just to inform you a bit more, there was a lot of different blades in Europe, and different styles, Italian were the best, than the spanish stole from them as the Italian turned Wing Chun men style, than the French stole from the spanish.

The german school is a bit a part, Lichtenhauer is badass.

Look at this vidéo, if you butcher knives can be match :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln94E...e_gdata_player

www.poulperadieux.com

10. Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    You may as well give up on this one. You clearly don't know what you are talking about so, as usual, you make snidey remars at people.

Go on say it......lay a cake or something, say that I am huge and that I have made your day etc etc etc
    No !

You are just the best.

A bit ignorant on blades basics but still the best on this forum, by far.

PS : It's wing chun guys who say that their wing chun badass butcher knives are no match to anybody...

They never met lichtenhauer masters with long swords...
    Last edited by poulperadieux; 03-21-2013 at 01:25 AM.

www.poulperadieux.com

[QUOTE=Graham H;1220428]
    In your lineage you consider the knives to be no different??? Strange because in my lineage the thinking is totally different. In fact they contradict many ideas from the other components of the system.
    Graham why don't you actually try reading my post first before

There is a situation in my lineage where by the student will only be taught the knives to people that show their worth in sparring. Due to the dangerous nature of fighting with them, wussies need not apply. Apprehension in knive fighting can lead to injuries.
    Apprehension in any form of fighting leads to injuries, it is just magnified in weapons fighting because of teh consequences of a single blow.
    If you don't like to get stuck in and are controlled by fear the knives will be a problem for you. This is why there a quite a few differences within our own lineage. WSL didn't teach too many people knife fighting.
    Fair enough if true, WSL had his own way of doing things
    As your Sigung doesn't like fighting I would guess that he probably was shown aspects of the form but no sparring.
    Guess being the operative word, I could say the same about WSL (but i wouldn't out of respect) as none of us were there. Sigung's training has changed as he has gotten older, as he is now 90 he has less interest in fighting and more interest in the health benefits of Wing Chun, it hasn't always been this way.

Like Leo AY, Ip Chuns Knives are riddled with mistakes. They may look good to the untrained eye but for fighting.....completely wrong
    You know this how? Were you taught the knives by Ip Chun? Seriously who taught you the knives, other than PB I'd genuinely be interested to know?

There is always the chance that you and your peers may have taken things further than you were taught of course but I'd still like to know your thinking behind the knives and how they fit into your system.
    Nothing wrong with what I was taught or what my sifu was taught. If you mean do we train the knives outside of the form, then yes - both against targets and in sparring. As for where the knife form fits into the system, it has multiple facets. In addition to its primary goal of learning to fight with the weapons (which is different to fighting empty handed), it teaches new footwork and angling, it refines elbow control, builds energy and improves power delivery in hand techniques, gives a workout to the wrists and shoulders, improves dexterity and much more.

Its sad when so many people are 100% correct these days when people like WSL and Ip Man had a humble attitude.

People put thier understanding into thier movements and forms. The important thing is that each person keeps developing.

You never reach perfection so how can you talk about other peoples errors with such superiority.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Graham why don't you actually try reading my post first before
    Yes I will endeavour to read them next time

Apprehension in any form of fighting leads to injuries, it is just magnified in weapons fighting because of teh consequences of a single blow.
    Yes

Fair enough if true, WSL had his own way of doing things
    Guess being the operative word, I could say the same about WSL (but i wouldn't out of respect) as none of us were there. Sigung's training has changed as he has gotten older, as he is now 90 he has less interest in fighting and more interest in the health benefits of Wing Chun, it hasn't always been this way.
    I would say it has. Ip Chun has never been known as a fighter and his ideas on Wing Chun have never been my cuppa. Each to his own I guess.

You know this how? Were you taught the knives by Ip Chun? Seriously who taught you the knives, other than PB I'd genuinely be interested to know?
    No I wasn't taught by Ip Chun but I was taught within his lineage. I have also watched Ip Chun play knives in the flesh, listened to what he said about them and watch his applications and they are not good................for me.

Nothing wrong with what I was taught or what my sifu was taught. If you mean do we train the knives outside of the form, then yes - both against targets and in sparring.
    That's good.

As for where the knife form fits into the system, it has multiple facets. In addition to its primary goal of learning to fight with the weapons (which is different to fighting empty handed), it teaches new footwork and angling, it refines elbow control, builds energy and improves power delivery in hand techniques, gives a workout to the wrists and shoulders, improves dexterity and much more.
    Ok, you say elbow control? Are saying you control knives from the elbow as we do in empty hand?

What "energy" ?

Yes I will endeavour to read them next time
    no need to be confused just read the post and you will hopefully understand, there were no long words or anything

Ok, you say elbow control? Are saying you control knives from the elbow as we do in empty hand?
    No, not at all. Some motions are still powered by the elbow but many others the wrist replaces the elbow. What I was reffering to in my post is the magnifying factor of the blade. If you are slightly off in your positions empty hand it is hand to notice, however teh tip of the blade being further away than the hand magnifies any imperfections making them noticeable thus requiring greater control of the arm.

What "energy" ?
    energy, force call it what you will. Where do you focus your intent when striking with the knives? Making the knives sing is challenging and rewarding.

no need to be confused just read the post and you will hopefully understand, there were no long words or anything
    Ok will do. Thanks then

No, not at all. Some motions are still powered by the elbow but many others the wrist replaces the elbow. What I was reffering to in my post is the magnifying factor of the blade. If you are slightly off in your positions empty hand it is hand to notice, however teh tip of the blade being further away than the hand magnifies any imperfections making them noticeable thus requiring greater control of the arm.
    Need to re-read that one a couple hundred times

energy, force call it what you will. Where do you focus your intent when striking with the knives? Making the knives sing is challenging and rewarding.
    Funny you should say that but just the other night my knives started singing "You can't touch this" by MC Hammer. How bizarre?