Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun knives video (Leo Au Yeung)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Having experienced quite a few other lineages no I am not.

In fact had I not met PB I would have gone back to Boxing or something because Wing Chun is generally full of nonsense.

..........in my opinion.
    Your loss.
    You're making the mistake of over anaylizing video footage. The videos that are put up on YouTube are not instructional videos. They are just examples.

You will have to touch hands with Leo before you can really trash him. His teacher is Sifu Sin Kwok Lam, I am sure you have no experience in that lineage.

[QUOTE=Graham H;1220688]In fact had I not met PB I would have gone back to Boxing or something because Wing Chun is generally full of nonsense.
    QUOTE]

blast that pesky PB
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Your loss.
    You're making the mistake of over anaylizing video footage. The videos that are put up on YouTube are not instructional videos. They are just examples.

Its not my loss! I have experienced Wing Chun from all over inside and outside of Hong Kong. I have watched Leo's instructional things and his ideas are the same as what I have practiced before AND moved on from.

As for touching hands with him, what do you mean? Chi Sau? No way! Chi Sau is not fighting or sparring. Rolling with somebody from a different lineage is not always possible. Most systems are at the wrist and they don't have too much of an exchange of force. I cannot roll with people like that. Chi Sau is a mutual partner drill for improving. This whole idea of "free chi sau" is not my thinking.

Ving Tsun should be no different from Boxing. You want to have an exchange of skills you put your hands up and attack each other.

In my opinion that video of LAY knives is how NOT to use them. The angles are all wrong. The positions wouldn't be safe enough in sparring. The footwork is not dynamic enough and if he think he can twirl the knives about like that in fighting then he is an alien from another world. These are things I can see from video footage.

That's what people do on here is over analyze video footage. You're right though it is a mistake............in most cases.

Oh yeah and we don't fight on river banks. I wouldn't want to mud up my tai Chi slippers

blast that pesky PB
    Wishful thinking

Oh yeah and we don't fight on river banks. I wouldn't want to mud up my tai Chi slippers
    Oh well, big limitation. Should be able to fight anywhere

@Dreamer7

BTW.....PB was asked in an interview once why he chose WSL as his teacher. He already practiced LT system before. His answer wasn't WSL's prowess in fighting, his challenge victories or his reputation in HK. He simply answered that it was WSL's thinking. That thinking is different to most and that is why I went there. That thinking is not for everybody and you proved that by choosing LAY over DS. That is a move I don't understand.

We are all different with different agendas and priorities. This forum is a good advert for that

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    Should be able to fight anywhere
    I knew that was coming

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    I agree with this statement. I've "rolled" with other lineages before and the geometry sometimes just doesn't line up and the 'rolling' is over very quickly.
    .......not a good idea to "roll" with anybody outside your own school until both parties are on the same page. Better to spar a little.

@Dreamer7
    That thinking is not for everybody and you proved that by choosing LAY over DS. That is a move I don't understand.

We are all different with different agendas and priorities. This forum is a good advert for that
    I liked DS very much, so I won't trash. However I also liked LAY thinking. At the time I was doing intense Sanda training in China and had mixed results in the fights I had. I primarily liked the fact the LAY made it clear if I train with him I can also go see other linages and styles to improve myself.
    He had detailed explanation on all concepts of martial arts. I liked his technique and structure. He also put strong emphasis on physical conditioning...
    And simply put when we sparred he totally destroyed me.

I liked DS very much, so I won't trash. However I also liked LAY thinking. At the time I was doing intense Sanda training in China and had mixed results in the fights I had. I primarily liked the fact the LAY made it clear if I train with him I can also go see other linages and styles to improve myself.
    He had detailed explanation on all concepts of martial arts. I liked his technique and structure. He also put strong emphasis on physical conditioning...
    And simply put when we sparred he totally destroyed me.
    We both have found our paths. Amen

I primarily liked the fact the LAY made it clear if I train with him I can also go see other linages and styles to improve myself.
    You will find this quite common now with the Sifus in HK and China too, as the MMA world has had this effect on the more Traditional 'One Sifu for life' teachers like my own. Chinese MMA has been going on for quite a while now too, say more than 400 years

LAY is also a Sifu of Hung Gar isn't he? And Taichi? Being a practitioner of other Southern Arts too, he will always be open like that which is a great way to appeal to the MMA types.

When you are restricted by your Sifu from 'touching hands' with other lineages it is sometimes because of their own insecurities, knowing that the 'roll' will be different and sooner or later end up in a fight/spar of sorts anyway. I also find it's because they are hidng something too, like a lack of true understanding, and the only way to 'exchange' is to have patience and share eachothers methods over time. This way both parties will feel eachothers way and benefit accordingly.

I would hazard a guess here that even within ones own lineage there will be differences in rotations and chisau practises. I know this is true from my own experience meeting and exchanging with my own family members, and each way has its strengths and weaknesses.

But if we are to talk about weaponry, and how to promote the knives especially in a stylized cinematic way, I have yet to see anything as appealing as the work Sifu Leo is doing. His experience working in the HK movie industry has obviously had a good influence on his artistry... but I understand that isn't everyones cuppa tea!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    You will find this quite common now with the Sifus in HK and China too, as the MMA world has had this effect on the more Traditional 'One Sifu for life' teachers like my own. Chinese MMA has been going on for quite a while now too, say more than 400 years

LAY is also a Sifu of Hung Gar isn't he? And Taichi? Being a practitioner of other Southern Arts too, he will always be open like that which is a great way to appeal to the MMA types.

When you are restricted by your Sifu from 'touching hands' with other lineages it is sometimes because of their own insecurities, knowing that the 'roll' will be different and sooner or later end up in a fight/spar of sorts anyway. I also find it's because they are hidng something too, like a lack of true understanding, and the only way to 'exchange' is to have patience and share eachothers methods over time. This way both parties will feel eachothers way and benefit accordingly.

I would hazard a guess here that even within ones own lineage there will be differences in rotations and chisau practises. I know this is true from my own experience meeting and exchanging with my own family members, and each way has its strengths and weaknesses.

But if we are to talk about weaponry, and how to promote the knives especially in a stylized cinematic way, I have yet to see anything as appealing as the work Sifu Leo is doing. His experience working in the HK movie industry has obviously had a good influence on his artistry... but I understand that isn't everyones cuppa tea!!
    Correct, he is into Hung Gar & Tai chi. Also other things.
    I have always been taught to question any technique or training style.
    Not get involved with cults, etc.

Correct, he is into Hung Gar & Tai chi. Also other things.
    I have always been taught to question any technique or training style.
    Not get involved with cults, etc.
    I think we have all been taught that, but getting involved with cults?? That's a new one even for me... didn't think Sifu Leo was into such things
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

.......not a good idea to "roll" with anybody outside your own school until both parties are on the same page. Better to spar a little.
    f'unny how there are so many chi sao videoes out there, but almost none of sparring.