Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Wing Chun knives video (Leo Au Yeung)

Quote Originally Posted by poulperadieux View Post
    Yep, Lichtenhauer fencing Style, and Wing Chun have a lot in common.

This school found at this time that italians paraded too much, french were too weak on their feets, and well, you read countries reviews on each other fencing style in the 16th century, it sounds oddly familiar !
    The vt staff/pole is not so far off its ideas either. Simple parries with angles to stabbing entries and counter stabs in time to retractions .... Stay with what comes ( and angle accordingly ) strike , stab , thrust as it it retracts. I use this against boxers too.

"Someone who is looking at Ving Tsun and has not spent enough time with a teacher, probably will not know enough footwork. He will not understand the mobility involved in Ving Tsun, the angles of attack, the kicks in all situations. He will therefore want to add something else to the style that he thinks is better for the sake of not knowing."

WSL

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    The vt staff/pole is not so far off its ideas either. Simple parries with angles to stabbing entries and counter stabs in time to retractions .... Stay with what comes ( and angle accordingly ) strike , stab , thrust as it it retracts. I use this against boxers too.
    Using a pole against boxers is slightly unfair
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    True ; ) ....

5. "know your ennemy"

Note that I'm not talking about looking in other styles techniques to enhance Wing Chun, but looking in other styles to see a different point of view, to feel it, and understand it.

Being able to think either in English, in French, and a bit in German helps me sometimes to think on concepts in different perspectives these languages offer.

French use metaphors a lot, it's "la pagaille", but makes sense, sort of, just like that.
    German are Straight and go directly to the point, but are just surprisingly amazing in poetry
    English shines in technical vocabulary and creating concepts simply.

Qui ne sait aucune langue étrangère ne sait pas sa propre langue. » Goethe.
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

I was going to study fencing....but I saw a flaw that it couldn't stop a .45 ACP round, so....

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Not really. Notice about 2:10 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IAlsQMNjAu8

8. Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    I was going to study fencing....but I saw a flaw that it couldn't stop a .45 ACP round, so....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGPDz0Pu5ZQ
    "Deepest depth, Where one live with no light, No evil can escape my sticky tentacle, Beware the radiant octopus might !"

www.poulperadieux.com

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Vajramusti,
    Nice post.
    I understand the other items in your list, but not this section. It could be a difference in vocabulary or terminology but could you expand on this part more? Does your lineage or interpretation only recognize '4 gates'?
    What is meant by '8 double hand techniques'?

Thanks in advance.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No problem in explaining.

1. 4 upper gates, 2 lower gates-total 6 gates-ofcourse that is looking from the front.
    When you turn the six gates get realigned accordingly.

2. In Fong sifu's organization of wing chun curriculum---there are single hand- bong. tan etc
    and two hand-pak -tan etc drills -- stationary as well as mobile- free hand, on the jong and with a partner.

Hope that clears it up.