Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May+June 2013

May+June 2013

Our newsstand date for this issue is actually April 2nd, but the cover has leaked out several times now, so we're just going to go with posting it.

You'll find the table of contents here.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Started reading some of the issue. Great article about the correlation between ancient China and ancient India. Studied Vedic literature/Sanscrit texts for a number of years, translations in the article substantiate hand to hand combat training techniques of the Kshatriya military class, being right next door to China with it's pyramids and all, I'm sure they shared some common practices, both sport and combat.

Glad you enjoyed that piece, PalmStriker

Indian Martial Arts Kung Fu's Ancestor? By Harjit Singh Sagoo is experimental for us. We restrict our content to Chinese styles, but in this case, even though the Bodhidharma connection of Indian arts to Kung Fu is apocryphal, we went with it (it helped to have that photo of Dr. Gurukal with Abbot Shi Yongxin). There's a wealth of untapped research in Indian martial arts. We've had good response to some deviation from Chinese styles, particularly when we ventured into Indonesian Silat or some of the Vietnamese styles as they are considered cousins to Kung Fu. If there's good response to this piece, Sagoo has a lot more research he'd be happy to share with us.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Indian Martial Arts Kung Fu's Ancestor? By Harjit Singh Sagoo is experimental for us. We restrict our content to Chinese styles, but in this case, even though the Bodhidharma connection of Indian arts to Kung Fu is apocryphal, we went with it (it helped to have that photo of Dr. Gurukal with Abbot Shi Yongxin). There's a wealth of untapped research in Indian martial arts. We've had good response to some deviation from Chinese styles, particularly when we ventured into Indonesian Silat or some of the Vietnamese styles as they are considered cousins to Kung Fu. If there's good response to this piece, Sagoo has a lot more research he'd be happy to share with us.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Gene I subscribed and got the last issue but have bot received the current issue with the Indian martial art piece! Wonder why?

joy chaudhuri

It should be on the way

We send out our subscribers issues several weeks prior to the newsstand date via book rate. Given the decline of the U.S. Postal service, delivery is getting slower and slower. My apologies for that. If it doesn't show up soon, contact Chris Stephens at MartialArtsMart.com - christigertn@hotmail.com. He oversees fulfillment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Shaolin Special 2013 is now available for Android, iPad and iPhone via Zinio

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We send out our subscribers issues several weeks prior to the newsstand date via book rate. Given the decline of the U.S. Postal service, delivery is getting slower and slower. My apologies for that. If it doesn't show up soon, contact Chris Stephens at MartialArtsMart.com - christigertn@hotmail.com. He oversees fulfillment.
    -----------------------
    Thanks Gene

joy chaudhuri

Interview with Abbott

I just read your interview with the Abbot and was feeling some pain. Was it as difficult to do the interview as it sounded, I mean, he wasn't very forthcoming with the answers.

The abbot can often be a challenging interview

He was particularly guarded this year. Some years, to use the improper phrase, he really lets his hair down. Sometimes he's very open. This year, not so much. Nevertheless, he did respond in a very timely manner, which is an exclusive courtesy he has extended to us for many years, and we are grateful for his support.

I did delete one answer from the print version in regards to the Shaolin at the Circus.

Vajramusti - get your issue yet? Let me know when you do.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

-----------------------------------

Hi Gene- no issue yet. I did email Chris- no reply yet.

Will let you know when it arrives.

USPS was 4 days late in delivering a grandkid's b day present.

Thx.

Joy

-------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Gene-the issue came today. I am glad that you published Sagoo's sketches. I realize it cannot be comprehensive in a magazine article.

Glad it came through

I just heard Chris was out for a spell because his kid was sick. My apologies if he didn't get back to you sooner.

Sagoo's article was just an overview. He has submitted another more specific article. It's in my reading queue. We'll see if it fits within our CMA focus. It depends somewhat upon what kind of reaction this first article gets, but so far, it's been positive.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just heard Chris was out for a spell because his kid was sick. My apologies if he didn't get back to you sooner.

Sagoo's article was just an overview. He has submitted another more specific article. It's in my reading queue. We'll see if it fits within our CMA focus. It depends somewhat upon what kind of reaction this first article gets, but so far, it's been positive.
    ---------------------------------
    There is more to Indian arts than what he has listed- but to be fair one cannot be comprehensive in a short article. He is probably at his best in describing the Sikh arts.

He is aware there is more...

...as am I. There are limitations to the length of print articles, especially as this was an experimental piece. I believe his follow-up submission focuses on one style, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm still fishing for more reaction to the piece overall to see if such content fits within our publication. Like I said, our readership will let us get away with related styles like Silat, but they'd have my head if I ran a piece focused strictly on Karate or TKD. I'm sure you understand. I do appreciate your opinion on the piece.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

now on youtube

Shi Yanxu ( 禪功柔拳 - 釋延續) demonstrates Changong Rouquan (Chan Merit Soft Fist)
    on our KungFuMagazinedotcom channel.