Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jow or petrol?

jow or petrol?

Had someone mention to me that they soak their hands in petrol to toughen the skin. Is this the same process as dit da jow? Which is more effective?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Had someone mention to me that they soak their hands in petrol to toughen the skin. Is this the same process as dit da jow? Which is more effective?

What are the potential health effects of gasoline?

Main Routes of Exposure: Inhalation. Skin contact. Eye contact.

Inhalation: Can irritate the nose and throat. Can harm the nervous system. Symptoms may include headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion. A severe exposure can cause unconsciousness.

Skin Contact: May cause mild irritation. Repeated or prolonged exposure can irritate the skin. Not expected to be absorbed through the skin. Any skin contact will also involve significant inhalation exposure.

Eye Contact: Not irritating.

Ingestion: Can irritate the mouth, throat and stomach. Can cause effects as described for inhalation. Aspiration hazard. May be drawn into the lungs if swallowed or vomited, causing severe lung damage. Death can result.

Effects of Long-Term (Chronic) Exposure: Can cause dry, red, cracked skin (dermatitis) following skin contact. Gasoline is a complex mixture containing as many as 250 separate hydrocarbons including several with well-established toxicity (e.g. benzene, toluene, xylenes, and n-hexane). However, there is little information available regarding the potential effects from long-term occupational exposure to gasoline itself. Most of the information available relates to neurotoxic effects from intentional long-term abuse or "sniffing" of gasoline. These extreme exposures are not relevant to occupational exposures. Effects on the blood, which have been seen in some studies, are most likely from the presence of benzene or lead in the gasoline.

Carcinogenicity: Possible carcinogen. May cause cancer based on animal information. Has been associated with: cancer of the blood or blood system, kidney cancer.
    International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Group 2B - Possibly carcinogenic to humans.
    American Conference for Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH): A3 - Confirmed animal carcinogen.

Teratogenicity / Embryotoxicity: Not known to harm the unborn child.

Reproductive Toxicity: Not known to be a reproductive hazard.

Mutagenicity: Conclusions cannot be drawn from the limited studies available. Gasoline contains variable amounts of benzene, a known mutagen.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

From what I recall SevenStar, many of those soaks (gasoline, brine, urine, camphor ice, etc.) used in the bareknuckle boxing era were primarily to make the skin more difficult to tear (I have heard it mentioned that it effects the collagen in the skin.). The hands get hard primarily by using them in those old regimens. These treatments share some effects in common with the intended effects of a jow used for this purpose, but jows also have many other intended effects that these soaks will not necessarily address.
    -Golden Arms-

I've never soaked my hands in it, but have had 87 grade gasoline splash all over my hands before; had a crazy allergic reaction. Don't know if I'd recommend it.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

That's just nasty

I've dealt with spilled gasoline too. It reeks....for days.

But I suppose if you ever got in a bar fight, you could light your fists on fire.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Corn Huskers Lotion will do you a wonderful job of toughening the skin and reducing skin surface injury. I used it when toughening my hands and I would not use anything else.
    Jackie Lee

Attachment 7336

I think Sho Nuff may have used petrol but I wouldn't recommend it.

A quality jow will work great in combination with Iron Palm training for hardening the bones and toughening the skin. Make sure to work the heavy bag without gloves to rough up the knuckles.

I'm fairly new to Iron Palm so hopefully some of the Iron Palm masters on this forum will offer some additional advice.

Jow doesn't toughen the hands.

The ethanol in it elutes the active ingredients of the herbs in the mixture. The purpose is to create a tincture, a vehicle to allow the herbs to penetrate into the skin.

Gasoline is toxic, and you don't want that on or in your skin for prolonged periods.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

jow is time tested and has multiple effects. gasoline is rediculous, i never heard of it.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    jow is time tested and has multiple effects. gasoline is rediculous, i never heard of it.
    I suppose this is time tested as well - it isn't new. Golden arms got the nail on the head - the got who mentioned it to me was into bare knuckle boxing in the uk.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I suppose this is time tested as well - it isn't new. Golden arms got the nail on the head - the got who mentioned it to me was into bare knuckle boxing in the uk.
    he was talking out his ass. i heard of salt water and vinegar, i never heard of gasoline. world champion tom cribb used vinegar and egg whites.

I heard that over time, vinegar is bad for the bones.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

i only apply jow for injury so its non issue for me.

Its not the first time I have heard of gasoline being used for this purpose. I think it was bigger in the UK part of the world than in the states (just an assumption from where the people were located that have mentioned the practice). I have no idea how it would affect the bones, but it makes sense how it would work the skin on the hands into a tougher state. Corned beef brine was also used by some over there.
    -Golden Arms-

I remember one of the old travellers in the "knuckle" documentary mentioned a petrol soak as well. Looked like he inhaled quite a bit of it as well in his time too.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down