Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding our recent kerfuffle

Regarding our recent kerfuffle

Our forum receives legal complaints every few months. It's fairly common for a forum of this magnitude, as I'm sure you can imagine. Most of the complaints are simply that - complaints, but with a lawyer behind them - and none have gone to the point of lawsuit. Nor do I expect any ever will. Part of my job is to make sure that doesn't happen. A 'cease and desist' is just the first step towards a lawsuit and an agreement can always be reached before the situation becomes dire.

With this recent complaint, we agreed that the affair remain confidential. I will stand by that confidentiality. I can reveal that there were a few posts deleted off some very old posts in some very old threads. No one was banned. lkfmdc and taai gihk yahn and perhaps a few others, deleted some of the threads that they had started, which is an option for any thread that you start that hasn't been locked. This was their decision. There were no requests of them to do so.

I have had a few members express fear about posting now. They feel they cannot express themselves freely for fear of lawsuit. There is an intrinsic problem with that line of thinking which really lies with the member and what they post. Nothing has changed legally. You are as legally responsible for anything you post here, just as you are anywhere on the web. Know that as long as you are willing to delete something that has generated a complaint, it is unlikely that you will ever be sued.

Besides, like this situation, and all the other situations that have preceded it and will follow, they'll come after me first.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well, knickers were twisted and panties were bunched, but let the rollercoaster ride continue? Is that the way?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So it seems

Every once in a while, a mighty wind shakes the tree, and who knows what might fall out?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So, when we post up is that technically publishing? Because the rules are different for publishing comments and comments made in person. To me, I always consider this a conversation like a town hall, not like an article. Just how accountable are you for what you say? If I write "my opinion is that" before everything I say, does that make a difference? I know it does when talking in person. You can have any opinion you want, really. Where is that line? Just curious. Seems like the right time to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Every once in a while, a mighty wind shakes the tree, and who knows what might fall out?
    Trolls.

Everyone here but me has sucky kung fu and probably likes little boys.

In my opinion.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Trolls.
    In your opinion, of course.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Don't listen to Brule, I did nothing.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

this is just a cold reminder that american martial art is a business.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Fair question, Syn7

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    So, when we post up is that technically publishing?
    The law is still somewhat ambiguous on what happens on the web. Especially with the rapidity of content production and advancements in technology with social media, well, it takes time to make a law and the laws aren't quite keeping up. Forums like this one are somewhat passe in the light of facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pheed. Those are even harder to control legally as they aren't as easily searchable, and are much noisier platforms.

There are some laws in place in some states to prevent cyberbullying, and some of what happens here might fall under that, depending what legal lens might focus on it. As for slander and libel, which is most frequently tossed about here as an accusation, there is always the potential for such. However, unlike print, the web is flexible. Offending content can simply be deleted and that's the end of the story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thank you mighty david ross, for your ultimate sacrifice.

since this forum is dead now i guess ill go read a book or something.

As TGY pointed out:

Some posters might inadvertantly make similar remarks or topics.

Since no one knows what the offense was...we won't know not to do it again.

...or something like that.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Just don't say anything offensive. Seriously, how hard is that?

Ok, ok, I know. For most of you, that's pretty hard.

I'm sure the confidentiality clause is surely frustrating to you all - it is for me too - but the truth of the matter is that it's all absurdly trivial. Such is legalese.

If any of you were to transgress into forbidden territory (and it's very unlikely that you will, at least with this particular issue), it will be treated just like before. There would be a warning, perhaps a deletion, perhaps an eventual banning. Have no fear. It has always been so. I am sorry that you all were exposed to some of the behind-the-scenes chaos that goes on while running this here forum, but that too, has always been so.

To quote the Brits "Keep calm and carry on".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i like kung fu. kung fu very nice. it is very interesting and cool.

does anyone like to train bo staffs