Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Crabs in a Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are trying to say here.

The majority of TCMA guys are not trying to develop their combat skill when they are still young. Of course you can develop your "engine" first and combat skill later. The problem is when your "engine" is ready to be used, you may be too old to use it.
    ....that would be a "problem", yes. But aren't there examples of those who go/went for combat first? Ones whom have not merely trained against others, but truly tested, successfully?

We still have not seen an example of it to date. People notice that. Children even. Not really a big deal until the proponents start denying it. That is also a problem.

Fighters are usually pragmatic. If what is truly effective can be learned (and thus improved upon) quickly, what value then is spending extra time building a physiological Rube-Goldberg "machine" to express it with? With diminished results, as you point out?

If you can actually pull it off, well then that might actually be something kind of special. Like Art. Martial Arts. To make the square peg go through the round hole.

Raw talent and creativity can drive the Macarena to fighting effectiveness. Those things can't be taught. I think maybe the truth about TCMA is that 70% of it really is a Rube-Goldberg. And that the useful remains can be found in many other sources, in various expressions. I think the reason *talented* TCMA fighters are RARE, is because just that- they are talented. They could have done it with the Macarena.

Consider one of the worst SNL sketches of last year

Patio Party

It stuck in my head tho.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

GREATEST. SKETCH. EVER.

This is my word and oath.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    That's the truth. I don't understand why the first 6 months to a year of training wouldn't be fundamental fighting skills. After that start teaching the forms and esoteric stuff.

It should be like some sort of rite of passage anyway. Make them competent with fighting then they can have the culture, style and what not. Instead people are immediately taught the abstract parts of the art and more or less expected to "figure it out" over the next 10 years,
    probably the exact way I feel about this.

You have your whole life to learn "culture" learn the basics and learn to fight first.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

The definition of culture

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    You have your whole life to learn "culture" learn the basics and learn to fight first.
    Culture: the act of developing the intellectual and moral faculties especially by education.

Teaching culture is fundamental. Think about it in the modern context of firearms. You need to know when to use a gun before you are taught how to use a gun.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The definition of tradition

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    This is, in a nutshell, the reason I am a proponent of martial culture over martial tradition.
    Tradition: A continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.

I am being selective about the definitions, but many of you are getting caught up in labeling, or better put, mislabeling.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm just playing Devil's advocate semantics.

I am an editor by trade. We do that....for a living.

Not to dispute what you are saying as I think you are on the right track,
    umm, cool. thanks?

I think that culture means a more universal understanding within the sub-culture of martial arts while an understanding of a tradition(s) can be observed in just a specific style, system of training, or school.
    So let's see.... you are saying:
    Culture = universal understanding w/in martial sub-culture.
    Tradition = observed in just specific style/system.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Culture: the act of developing the intellectual and moral faculties especially by education.

Teaching culture is fundamental. Think about it in the modern context of firearms. You need to know when to use a gun before you are taught how to use a gun.

up to 5 definitions to culture-
    the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.

lets take Viking culture into context then....your going to extremes gene
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

I know, I know...

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, just for the sake of argument. I do think 'traditional' and 'culture' are terms we bandy about here a lot. My point is that the interpretation of the definitions of those terms is subjective.

lets take Viking culture into context then....your going to extremes gene
    I love Viking culture. Any culture that would develop helmets with horns and steel bras is okay by me! Seriously, I do practice a little baji (8 extremes) so that's only one of my extremes, seven to go (okay, maybe not so seriously)

I know you are an editor and I respect the work you have done.. I have all of your publications since 1992. I was only clarifying the meaning of the words, not attacking you. I respect you.
    Thanks. Since '92? Really? I'm honored. I wasn't attacking you either, just engaging in a little thoughtful debate. Sorry if that sounded too agro.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    "bucket of crabs".
    This just remind me one of my friends told me that when he was still a student, he bought a new car. Everybody in his apartment gave him an ugly look.

One thing that I don't understand is when someone posts a personal solo clip, there are just so many negative comments. I think we should encourage each other instead of trying to take other down.

I was in a Judo forum for quite sometime. As far as I remember, no Judo guy had ever said, "Your throw is bad." When you train Judo and others train Judo too, it should be like a big family. It just doesn't make sense to see brothers in the same family fight against each other. I don't know whether boxers, wrestlers, MT guys, or MMA guys criticize each other or not, but I don't see our praying mantis guys try to put others down in this forum either.

I can understand comments such as:

- If you do ..., you may give your opponent a chance to do ...
    - It may be too risky to ...

but I just can't understand comments such as:

- Your shoulder is not coordinate with your hip.
    - You need to work more on your ...
    - Your ... look bad.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-12-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Maybe since there's so many kung fu styles people feel their way is the right way and feel the need to show you.

of all the different arts I've been in, KF has the most crazies, loons, cultists, and objective people I've ever met. For some reason it attracts them like a moth to light.

of all the different arts I've been in, KF has the most crazies, loons, cultists, and objective people I've ever met. For some reason it attracts them like a moth to light.
    Well, 'objective' is good anyway.

I've also seen that, but...the most extreme MA cultism I've ever seen was at a Korean-style school I once visited back in the '80s, run by a Korean instructor. In fact, back then, there were a number of Korean instructors who built cult-type followings in their schools. It seems that with the rise in popularity of MMA/BJJ, it's not so obvious or blatant anymore, though I'm sure it's still happening.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-12-2013 at 11:08 PM.