Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there real Shaolin Monks?

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    But... Its seems your life then is ruled by fear.

Martial arts should free you from fear, not fill you with it. I think your approach is overly aggressive.
    sounds like he had a traumatic experience with the bbc.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    sounds like he had a traumatic experience with the bbc.
    How can someone have a traumatic experience in a Barbecue?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Córdoba View Post
    Sometimes the sweet, juicy meat is just too much to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Córdoba View Post
    Not enough sauce!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Not enough sauce!
    Aye I feel it!

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
    the general discussion is about being prepared for real situations, that's ok. but that's not on the side of boxing and many other systems at all. many systems, like boxing and many others, teach bad habits, which as time goes on and the practitioner becomes used to them, those become misunderstandings that make the guy more susceptible to dangerous cases than even an untrained guy. a good system prepares the fighters for any situation.
    The advantage of boxing is that it teaches how to really hit and how to take a hit. It teaches evasion and rolling with the punches and it teaches conditioning.

true, but it makes you almost defenseless, or at least puts you in a weaker position, against kickers and those who attack the lower body, like the groins.
    not just boxing, many other systems teach bad habits.
    I love Shaolin Gong Fu, but some would argue that chambering your hand and punching from the waist teaches bad habits, as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I love Shaolin Gong Fu, but some would argue that chambering your hand and punching from the waist teaches bad habits, as well...
    shaolin kung fu never punches from the waist

did I blow ur mind

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

true, but it makes you almost defenseless, or at least puts you in a weaker position, against kickers and those who attack the lower body, like the groins.
    not just boxing, many other systems teach bad habits.

besides, to hit, throw, lock,... and being hit, thrown, locked,... is part of every martial artist's daily life, otherwise, they've practiced ineffectively.
    It's all context dependent. Your view presumes one will more than likely come up against a trained mma fighter in his everyday encounters. Ths is actually very unlikely. If one trains to be prepared for every possible eventuality, he would master very little skill.

This is why it is important to examine what is likely and measure that against ones abilities and time available to train and then train accordingly.

exactly, but this bad habit doen't come from Shaolin! do you know how it's done at Shaolin and where that bad habit comes from?

in Shaolin, because they are Buddhists and in Buddhist meditation true power comes from DanTian (the central acupuncture point below the navel, that is considered the central, most important source of Qi), they begin forms by pulling up power from Dantian, and end it with pulling down power into DanTian, when attacking, the hand may stand below the DanTian, as a meditation pose, and to guard the central body, and also to assist the attacking arm, if needed.
    when other schools got material from Shaolin, they saw that guarding palm or fist, etc, but didn't learned why it takes that position, so they erroneously put it at side (i don't know, to make it more orderly, or etc?), which makes it useless and, indeed, stupid. later, southern kong fu schools and Karate became famous and so made this mistake universal!!! unfortunately, many monks like Shi Decheng, Xinghong, and many others make this bad mistake, as well!

in Shaolin kong fu the hand stands like this guy does, keeping the DanTian, guarding the center, while in guard, or while attacking with one arm or hand:
    Shaolin Rou quan- by Mao Jingguang (YouTube)

he more uses open palms, but it's the same with fists as well. they must be keep near the DanTian at the center of the body, not at the sides! Shi Deyang teaches this with fists in his Xiao Hong quan instructional (YouTube: )

Last edited by SHemmati; 10-29-2013 at 02:23 PM.

The tan tien is not an accupunture point. And it was used in Taoism before it was used in Buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    shaolin kung fu never punches from the waist

did I blow ur mind
    My mind is blown!
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

exactly, but this bad habit doen't come from Shaolin!
    Yet you still train it this way when you perform many of your forms...or have you altered them?

It's all context dependent. Your view presumes one will more than likely come up against a trained mma fighter in his everyday encounters. Ths is actually very unlikely. If one trains to be prepared for every possible eventuality, he would master very little skill.

This is why it is important to examine what is likely and measure that against ones abilities and time available to train and then train accordingly.
    i agree, i didn't mean to deny this reasonable statement.

The tan tien is not an accupunture point. And it was used in Taoism before it was used in Buddhism.
    maybe the problem is with the translation, acupuncture point! this point in inside the lower abdomen and cannot be handled with needles, but is an important point at the Qi meridian and can be handled by external causes, like beating the area or handling its nearby points.
    i don't know much about history, anyway, there are a few fundamental differences between Buddhists' and Daoists' meditation. while Buddhists more concentrate on enlightenment, and more stick to the DanTian area, Daoists, besides DanTian, emphasize on developing and transmiting Qi to whole their body.
    Last edited by SHemmati; 10-29-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Yet you still train it this way when you perform many of your forms...or have you altered them?
    no, it's absolutely wrong and stupid of course to chamber the hands and sides! as i've learned it, except when i've grabbed the opponent's limb in hand, i don't drag it backward to the side, but keep my forearm and hand in front, before the DanTian, and guard the body and my other arm.

however, Shaolin school teaches you to grab the opponent's body whenever it's possible before hitting them, if so, then that grabbing hand can grab and drag the opponent's limb back to your side, while the beating arm rushes forward, this makes a destructive force.
    Last edited by SHemmati; 10-29-2013 at 02:19 PM.