Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there real Shaolin Monks?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Not sure why you responded to my post with this. You must have made a mistake. I never gave such an alternative and in training for sport is not the only place hard sparring can be done (obviously).
    My argument is that training to fight in the ring and cage, is the highest level of Martial Arts training. Such training will encompass just about any type of goal afforded by the Martial Arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Well, I agree with the "elaborate" prearrangement being less effective. The more elaborate things get the less efficient. But indecisiveness comes from inexperience or improper instruction not necessarily from practicing prearranged moves. Even boxers have prearranged moves. Just keep them basic and rather simple.

If practicing prearranged actions was completely ineffective there would be no learning anything.
    I think what Wenshu is saying is that, most TMA and SD people, rarely or almost never spar hard....trying to KO their partner. So while choreographed sparring, or constructive sparring does help and is certainly better than nothing, it comes nowhere close to FULL sparring in terms of preparing you for the real thing (whether in the ring, cage, street, prison, Mad Max Thunderdome, etc.). Sparring hard is really trying to hurt your partner and knocking him down or out....although we don't go for serious injuries such as blowing out kneecaps, but getting hit in the head hard can still be serious. Boxers do this regularly so its no wonder that they'll most likely beat down the average TMA'ist who doesn't spar for KO's.

I see, perhaps I took him too literally, or out of context.

Som

State of Mind. Like being Cherokee or Apache, One can be full blooded and stilll not be either. I am a Shaolin Monk. As I think so am I.
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    My argument is that training to fight in the ring and cage, is the highest level of Martial Arts training. Such training will encompass just about any type of goal afforded by the Martial Arts.
    While your argument appears to be logical, it also seems more than a little naive.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    state of mind. Like being cherokee or apache, one can be full blooded and stilll not be either. I am a shaolin monk. As i think so am i.
    ᎠᏯᏃ, ᏥᏣᎳᎩ... ᏣᏛᎦᏅᎢᏍ ᎠᏲᏁᎦ ᏣᎳᎩ ᎦᏬᏂᏍᎬ?

While your argument appears to be logical, it also seems more than a little naive.
    Yet whenever I visit TMA schools to spar, I beat down on 90-100% of the people there including any of the instructors that would spar. The only ones that does well against me or beats me are the schools that have fight teams that competes in the ring. While the pure slappy, touchy sparring SD with their deadly ninja touches are usually just pure garbage. And I'm a nobody in comparison to someone who can make it to even the lowest card in the UFC. Hell, not even the UFC but most fighters in local Pro MMA events can kick my butt.

how often do you do that vids or it didnt happen
    I guess we are who we are

I am reminded of a story about an argument between one of Alexander the Great's buddies and an Olympic Pankration fighter during one of Alexander's parties.

The argument was about who was the truer warrior/fighter. The argument escalated until there was a challenge and the soldier and the Pankration fighter fought it out.

The Pankration beat the soldier in hand-to-hand, wherein the soldier took a spear and ran the Pankration fighter through.

The moral here is, "Context is everything!" Pankration fighting does not prepare one for war, it prepares one for individual combat with another according to a fixed circumstance, that does not include fighting with weapons to the death.

Although the most famous Pankration fight involved a man who won right as he died. The winner was being choked out,
    by his opponent, while the winner was breaking the opponent's fingers, or maybe toes. The loser tapped out right as the winner died. So, the winner died in his winning!

But for the most part the idea is train for what you plan to do. After all, guns beat karate!

Although the most famous Pankration fight involved a man who won right as he died. The winner was being choked out,
    by his opponent, while the winner was breaking the opponent's fingers, or maybe toes. The loser tapped out right as the winner died. So, the winner died in his winning!
    If memory serves, you win Pankration if you die. It means you went all the way without quitting. The goal was to make the opponent submit before they die, or to knock them out or choke them out, take them as close to death as possible without killing them. So if you went all the way to death without submitting that means you are the winner, the manliest man, regardless of skill level.

The Pankration beat the soldier in hand-to-hand, wherein the soldier took a spear and ran the Pankration fighter through.
    nope. they framed him for theft.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    how often do you do that vids or it didnt happen
    It would be very strange to drop-in to a school that I don't belong to, ask to spar and also film. That right there would set up red flags that this guy may be a troublemaker.

I'm very respectful when I visit schools. I'm not there to jack people up. I'm there to learn different approaches and techniques to use against MT. I've been warned quite a few times about going too hard, but in general, that's the nature of the Muay Thai rear leg kick. I've never been kicked out of any gyms. Only once did I give this one kid a full beating, but only for one round. He started off with a full powered combo that ended with a 100% power spinning back fist to my head. Even his Sifu yelled at him right away. I said I'm fine and made him pay and the Sifu didn't even stop me but did pull him out soon after. The next few guys saw and played ice....and it was just light sparring.
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 10-28-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    nope. they framed him for theft.
    Stick to Chinese history!

If you want to talk about weapons, I'm the guy to talk to. I'm all for self preservation, survival, etc. BOB, BOV, BOL, I've got it all set up and ready to roll in case TSHTF. I have guns strategically placed in most rooms of my house including bathrooms. AK-47's, pistols, lots of ammo, body armor, etc. EVERYTHING, LEGAL (in case the Feds are watching). I carry at least a 9mm + 2 knives wherever legal. And I train often with them.
    But... Its seems your life then is ruled by fear.

Martial arts should free you from fear, not fill you with it. I think your approach is overly aggressive.