Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Are there real Shaolin Monks?

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post

See, most of this is BS though. UFC 1-4 allowed all of these maiming strikes and more. Yet Royce Gracie still beat the crap out of all the Kung-Fu's and so did big, fat, out of shape Wrestlers who just grounded them, clenched their fists and pounded their Kung-Fu faces in with sloppy Hammer-fists.

Jason Delucia (K-F), even bit Gracie when caught in a hold...so Gracie proceeded to make him pay for biting by continuing to crank on a locked armbar as DeLucia was tapping furiously. The Ref had to jump in to force Gracie off, but too late...popped elbow. Remco Pardieu (Judo?/Jujutsu?) bit Gracie also, and Gracie also hurt him by not letting go after the tap.

I spar with different K-F schools. None of them spars by kicking each other in the nuts nor eye strikes, you're just making excuses. They also wear a ton of safety gear such as headgear w/full facemasks resembling a motorcycle helmet, cup, mouthguard, shinguards, etc. Do you think experienced Muay Thai or MMA fighters can't target testicles and eyeballs? Who do you think will be faster and more powerful? It takes more skills to not kick someone in the balls while throwing, ie. an inside leg kick.

Are you trying to say that all you do is try to grab at nuts and eye strike all the time, in every freakin' class? C'mon. Just be honest, you just don't want to get hit hard in the face as part of your regular training. I'm not even implying that you should spar for knockouts all the time, just some of the time. At other times, medium power, like 50%. Then the rest, do you your deadly Ninja strikes.

Where are you located? I want to see this.
    your observations are accurate. these are all right, but first you must notice how and where those kong fu fighters have acquired that kong fu. for example, i read in one of your posts that those so-called kong fu fighters sometimes put you under a rain of slaps like a machine gun, and i became amazed at how those stupid's palms attacks could not disable your joints at least then?!! because, in traditional kong fu when one works a system based on palm techniques, they must condition the palms, because natural palms have no fatal power, add to this that most kong fu practitioners have middle or even small bodies. but understandable, of all the kong fu practitioners only a small portion stuck to the traditions and practice such stuff, and i'm sure this has always been the case through kong fu's long history. yet, you don't please think i mean to imply i'm so strong like this man: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyrDRqEuoi4‎ but at least, i mean it's stupid if one's palms are weak and they try to subdue to an experienced boxer, who is, at least, sure enough of his punches, at least, more than you are of your weak palms.

so, this is the case, whether monk or not, inside China or outside of it, while as the kong fu sayings go, if one doesn't practice so and so, he hasn't done anything of use.

at least, one thing with boxing and Muai Thai, etc, i like is their practitioners learn anything they need in their system; what most of us don't, in kong fu.

ah, i don't like to talk of personal experiences and make the threads lengthy by them. but since you asked it, i live almost nowhere! i live in Iran. my internet speed is extremely low and so cannot have regular access to video sites, and worse, i haven't filmed that myself. but, however, if you want to see that, i think i can find some YouTube clips of such exercises by searching it in google. it's called pai da (排打) skill and i do it combined with 6 other exercises. i'm not good yet, but at least, now if somebody goes to hit my (front or top or sides of) head, or kick my arms, i can welcome it, because it's not me, but the attacker who takes the pain of it. i've checked my head with 90+ kg, and my arms (after a time of practicing arm exercises) with many many even 120+ kg fighters in the actual game, and they work. but other parts of body have a slower progress, and much training is still needed. i spar very carefully with others myself, but one of my friends had got a bad habit of teasing heavier fighters who laughed at us and believed they could crash us on the ring! however, the pain they had after hitting or being hit by my friend's forearms or head made him laugh out loud at those poor guys!

since you mentioned that, i've myself sparred numerous fighters of various styles, from boxing and Thai boxing, etc, to the more 'theoretical' styles. many of them were province, country, or Asian champions, but there were no trouble defending their action and putting them into troubles. though i couldn't attack their vital points, or lock any joint, or even grasp their body before the attacks, as the things Shaolin fighting recommends; though it was easy to do if one knew and wanted to do. anyway, the trouble was when once i sparred with a provincal champion of an acrobatic style from a traditional wushu (kong fu) school, who could attack with his kicks while his body was spinning like a turbine in the air, and a few other such surprising skills. though he said he did it lightly, one of his turbine kicks came out of nowhere and showed me the face of death. and that has a dynamical reason, though he himself was for sure less than 65 kg! i once saw him crashing a dozen of 70+, 90+, and 100+ kg strong fighters in a kickboxing gym. and he's still my dear friend, though doesn't practice anymore.
    Last edited by SHemmati; 11-01-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Yeah, but I ain't standing their like a statue while you try to do all of this to me.

Point being, you throwing jabs at my eyes is no different then the thousands of times people try to knock me the F out as part of training by punching at my face...

And do you think we don't know what joint locks are?...
    of course nobody stands to see another guy attack them. but the better the fighter the better the things they learn and practice. and this is important, if somebody doesn't have prior familiarity with a situations, then there are risks on those situations. if you're familiar, and if your body has the potential, then that's ok.
    of JuJustu and others, i'm suspicious that's so good at it. since after studying some more known Japanese styles, there were many techniques that were not exported properly from kong fu to them. a choke is a simple thing, but when it came to wrist locks, many of them were thought of as elbow locks in Japanese systems, and so they were doing it with a totally wrong body mechanics, which could only have results with much more force applied compared with the original technique in kong fu. that's a common thing. one example was with the assisting arm in kong fu punches, which is originally for grasping or guarding or other kinds of assistance in Shaolin kong fu, while in other styles they make it rest uselessly at the chamber! though Brazilian JuJitsu thinks of itself as much submissive, but most it's body mechanics and forcing is considered energy wasting rather than being Yin (negative, hidden, soft, ...).

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Dude....I mean, really??? C'mon!
    yeah, really. there could be found a few dozens of joint locks and more than hundred of throwing techniques in other styles. the throws are ok most the times, but a big portion of the joint locks of Shaolin (in Shaolin i've seen about 240-360 joint locks, but other styles claim more than 700, i don't know, i'm not familiar with them) are done with a different aim and forcing than we see in many other styles. so that in most the non-Chinese styles they usually need tens of kilograms to control the opponent's caught limb, while if done with the correct aim and leverage method and forcing, tens of kilograms is much force and will definitely break or tear out the joint!

unfortunately, i don't have and also there's not any video facility in the forum, or i could show some instances of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
    those so-called kong fu fighters sometimes put you under a rain of slaps like a machine gun, and i became amazed at how those stupid's palms attacks could not disable your joints at least then?!!
    Disable which joint? There's no way anybody's disabling any joints unless I freeze like a statue and hand them my arm or something. In a real fight, it would be crazy to try to hit someone at the joints rather than their face while in punching or kicking range. Kicks to the kneecaps are nice, but I get kicked there by accident enough times already. It hasn't stopped me yet. I'd rather put my elbow into someone's face then to try to hit them in their elbow, wrist or something.

[QUOTE] yet, you don't please think i mean to imply i'm so strong like this man: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyrDRqEuoi4‎ but at least, i mean it's stupid if one's palms are weak and they try to subdue to an experienced boxer, who is, at least, sure enough of his punches, at least, more than you are of your weak palms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOnaikZs0U

These are tricks. They heated up those bricks in a oven for a few hours beforehand to make them brittle.

but since you asked it, i live almost nowhere! i live in Iran.
    Cool, lots of great Wrestlers and Grapplers are from Iran.

a provincal champion of an acrobatic style from a traditional wushu (kong fu) school, who could attack with his kicks while his body was spinning like a turbine in the air, and a few other such surprising skills. though he said he did it lightly, one of his turbine kicks came out of nowhere and showed me the face of death. and that has a dynamical reason, though he himself was for sure less than 65 kg! i once saw him crashing a dozen of 70+, 90+, and 100+ kg strong fighters in a kickboxing gym. and he's still my dear friend, though doesn't practice anymore.
    Is this guy's name Jet Li? What's his name?

Man, if this were true...your friend could be making MILLIONS in $US by entering the UFC and beating the crap out of their champions there. US$400,000 to US$1,000,000 per title fights + millions more in endorsement deals, fame, worldwide glory to Iran, etc. I'm sure your Dictator would allow him a VISA. If the US won't let him in, he can go fight when the UFC goes to Brazil or something. Make a lot more than his current income. How much does he make now herding goats?
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 11-02-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
    of course nobody stands to see another guy attack them. but the better the fighter the better the things they learn and practice. and this is important, if somebody doesn't have prior familiarity with a situations, then there are risks on those situations. if you're familiar, and if your body has the potential, then that's ok.
    of JuJustu and others, i'm suspicious that's so good at it. since after studying some more known Japanese styles, there were many techniques that were not exported properly from kong fu to them. a choke is a simple thing, but when it came to wrist locks, many of them were thought of as elbow locks in Japanese systems, and so they were doing it with a totally wrong body mechanics, which could only have results with much more force applied compared with the original technique in kong fu. that's a common thing. one example was with the assisting arm in kong fu punches, which is originally for grasping or guarding or other kinds of assistance in Shaolin kong fu, while in other styles they make it rest uselessly at the chamber! though Brazilian JuJitsu thinks of itself as much submissive, but most it's body mechanics and forcing is considered energy wasting rather than being Yin (negative, hidden, soft, ...).
    It's amazing that you're really serious about all of this. And you actually just tried to tell me that Japanese Jujutsu doesn't know how to employ wristlocks correctly.

What's the difference between you (who've never even eye jabbed anyone for real before) attacking my eyes with a jab vs. a PRO Boxer throwing his whole freaking fist at my face? ANSWER: The Boxer will probably land and disrupt my game and follow up with power combos to knock me the F out....while you will probably not hit squat but get countered by me doing what the Boxer does.
    you do realize without taking masteron and deca you will never reach level of pro fighters right?

you do realize if shenmatti train like you for 3 months he will basically reach your level?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Someone told me that after the Chinese Cultural Revolution in the '60s, the Commies shut down the Shaolin Temple and all the Monks either fled or were incarcerated or worse, killed off. As the Temple decays after many years, Martial Artists worldwide started donating money to sustain its upkeep.

Then once China became capitalistic, they reopened the Temple and turned it into a Chinese Disneyland with a Shaolin Temple theme. And it's now populated with the Chinese Wushu Team, dressed up as Shaolin Monks, doing parlor tricks to earn tourism dollars and teaching classes to anyone with a checkbook.
    What is your view of "real Shaolin monks"? Is it from the historical background? Or,.... is it from the many kung fu flicks you have seen on tv.....or more preciously, on the u................................................t ube?

I can answer your question in two simple sentences. First, yes. Second, .... do bears s&$# in the woods?

Your two paragraphs do substantiate your initial intrigue....... we all have curiosities, but where they lead and how they determine our lives are totally different.......... hmmmm, what's today.... ohh, daylight saving's .... 1 hour back, is it?? ^.^

Clowns and Anchovies....

What is your view of "real Shaolin monks"? Is it from the historical background? Or,.... is it from the many kung fu flicks you have seen on tv.....or more preciously, on the u................................................t ube?

I can answer your question in two simple sentences. First, yes. Second, .... do bears s&$# in the woods?

Your two paragraphs do substantiate your initial intrigue....... we all have curiosities, but where they lead and how they determine our lives are totally different.......... hmmmm, what's today.... ohh, daylight saving's .... 1 hour back, is it?? ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by bakmei121 View Post

I was most curious about this fighter, Yi Long, who claims to be a Shaolin Monk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atJotF1AZco

He's a legit fighter. But I still think that he's just Chinese Wushu due to the Shaolin Temple being shut down from 1966 to like 2005 or so, therefore unable of producing any real Shaolin Monks, let alone fighters in Yi Long's age range.

I was most curious about this fighter, Yi Long, who claims to be a Shaolin Monk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atJotF1AZco

He's a legit fighter. But I still think that he's just Chinese Wushu due to the Shaolin Temple being shut down from 1966 to like 2005 or so, therefore unable of producing any real Shaolin Monks, let alone fighters in Yi Long's age range.
    Nah, he's a LARPer of the delusional kind. He's also a douche. That being said, he can fight.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Yi Long claims to be a monk...I think other people are claiming that when they make youtube videos of him.

He trains Shaolin Quan and Sanda.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I could be wrong, but I don't think Yi Long claims to be a monk...I think other people are claiming that when they make youtube videos of him.

He trains Shaolin Quan and Sanda.
    I don't know if Yi Long himself claims to be a monk, but the promoters surrounding him certainly imply that. The Temple has made a statement saying he is definitely not a monk.

He's physically tough, and his skills have improved from his first really awkward and unskilled matches, but him and his promoters are the worst kind of people.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    I don't know if Yi Long himself claims to be a monk, but the promoters surrounding him certainly imply that. The Temple has made a statement saying he is definitely not a monk.

He's physically tough, and his skills have improved from his first really awkward and unskilled matches, but him and his promoters are the worst kind of people.
    His promoters; and a lot of his fans, certainly imply that. I don't know of him saying that personally, or whether he has much to do with that implication, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's a shame he has such an ego, I think it hurts his game...he's actually decent when he's fighting seriously...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

It's a shame he has such an ego, I think it hurts his game...he's actually decent when he's fighting seriously...
    Actually, it goes much deeper than ego. The Chinese promoters "Wu Lin Feng" have hosted their jingoistic and nationalistic-driven shows right here in the USA. Can groups from the USA have "USA vs China" matches in China? I think Yi Long should be held accountable for his associations.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Actually, it goes much deeper than ego. The Chinese promoters "Wu Lin Feng" have hosted their jingoistic and nationalistic-driven shows right here in the USA. Can groups from the USA have "USA vs China" matches in China? I think Yi Long should be held accountable for his associations.
    So much of that nationalist stuff comes out of China and east Asia in general. It is always strange to me that a athlete winning or losing against a foreigner is so tied up with national pride. I don't think too many people here would think of Weidman vs Silva as a USA vs Brazil thing...but it's not my culture, so I may not be able to understand it...