Thread: Choy Lee Fut Gam Jin

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Choy Lee Fut Gam Jin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8w59rQIqvM

as we use the english terminology within our school, we call the technique on the video "Cross block". In my opinion its a decent technique. but a little dangerous...ok a lot dangerous. i say that because both hands are applied to one small area while leaving a huge open door to be knocked out.

for me its dangerous for any position when you use both hands in a certain area. still, i would use it for a low block but with the expectation for a punch to my face and would have an answer for that in advance. there, you see the guy use to hands to block an uppercut. personally, i only use one hand for that situation. i would even jam it or scoop it.

Sifu would say "is that safe?". what he meant was is it safe or could someone easily counter it and strike you instead. some of the same principals from our knife fighting i use for empty hands as well.

what about you?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

I would say that it is not so much a block as a move that transitions immediately into kam na. It can be (relatively) safe if you apply the right footwork and body shifting. I didn't listen to the audio in the above example and don't know what I missed but in our school we primarily train it with the left hand on top.

Can you guess why?

"Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Can you guess why?
    i can come up with a couple....but lets hear yours.

Blog Entries
    nah, but i wanna hear your reasons tho.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

The technique seems to have more value in weapons work and not so much empty hand IMO.
    Behold. Mighty Ross. His coming was foretold in the Book of BaWang. He will come with a Vengeance on David, Son of Jamie. The Warring Trolls will unite across the Forums of Ching. And the Virgin Warrior, Pure-Hearted Lucas shall be offered up in Sacrifice to appease His Wrath. His Truth will ring in the hearts of the Kickboxers, and They shall be Glorified forevermore. Peace be upon you, Internet Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    The technique seems to have more value in weapons work and not so much empty hand IMO.
    That's it.

CLF is primarily a right-handed system because it assumes the greater likelihood of an opponent with a weapon in his right hand.

"Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity